How Can I Protect My Long Hair?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

How Can I Protect My Long Hair?

Postby theLynxmissesthesnow » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:46 pm

Hello,

I'm a first-timer, browsing the forums and making lists and such. One thing I've yet to find is how to protect my hair. I need my hair for work, so I'm worried about the desert/sun/dust- It's very long and soft and shiny. Does anyone just come back fine? Is there anything you would suggest...
theLynxmissesthesnow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death

Re: How Can I Protect My Long Hair?

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:53 pm

Hi Lynx

You might want to try this thread: http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=279&t=55540&p=835101. You might also want to try using the "search" feature of this site (upper right-hand corner) or -- better yet -- use Google and search for [eplaya long hair] or something.

Welcome here and good luck!
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby pink » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:38 am

Whatever you do, don't try to brush it. When you get off-playa, for the first shower, depending of the length, use half to a whole bottle of hotel conditioner BEFORE you shampoo. Rinse, and recondition. Repeat until you can get your fingers through it easily. Then, and only then, shampoo and condition again.

I always snag a handful of conditioners off the maid's cart at the hotel. They seem to understand. Or bring a big bottle of your fave ultra-dry hair stuff. My hair has never been super long on the playa, but I've used this routine since my first burn but since I just let it go to dreads for a week, and it's super fine, I can swear by this method.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby theLynxmissesthesnow » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:56 am

pink wrote:Whatever you do, don't try to brush it. When you get off-playa, for the first shower, depending of the length, use half to a whole bottle of hotel conditioner BEFORE you shampoo. Rinse, and recondition. Repeat until you can get your fingers through it easily. Then, and only then, shampoo and condition again.

I always snag a handful of conditioners off the maid's cart at the hotel. They seem to understand. Or bring a big bottle of your fave ultra-dry hair stuff. My hair has never been super long on the playa, but I've used this routine since my first burn but since I just let it go to dreads for a week, and it's super fine, I can swear by this method.

I would love it if you could elaborate further on these hair products you've mentioned. I do not know what ultra-dry stuff is... In the real world, I generally do nothing to my hair, I shampoo and condition every 2-4 days (longer if it doesn't look dirty)... it's really thick reddish hair that tends to enjoy being left alone. So I'm not too hip on products...

I've read so far to use coconut oil and braid it... and dreds aren't really an option for me...
theLynxmissesthesnow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death

Postby delle » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:43 am

You're over-reading.

Ultra-dry is what your hair will be. Just get a good conditioner.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby misfit » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:47 pm

my hair is mid-back length and i use, "no more tangles", on and off playa. its simple, spray on and comb out using a thick toothed comb.
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby pink » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:51 pm

Dreds are what I get after a week or more on playa-not something I try for. I just let it mat up, since usually by the time I even get to camp from Gate, I can't get a comb through it. In defaultia, I use just a wee bit of body building conditioner- I have thin, oily, baby fine hair. The playa is the only time I can get a nice spiky punk-do!

Braiding is popular with those with thicker hair, but just don't try to unbraid without conditioning the crap out of it first.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby dr.placebo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:10 pm

The major problems will be intense sun, very alkaline dust, and intense dryness.

If you have access to a lot of water you can try to stay clean, but my guess is that within minutes after washing a dust storm will come up and defeat your best efforts.

My guess is that the best protection is to minimize exposure. That is, wear your hair up and wear a hat or scarf.

And both on the playa and afterwards be gentle to your hair, since it may be somewhat brittle.
dr.placebo

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:45 pm

The thread linked right below your original post is the place to start. It is nothing but information on your question.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:34 am

i have a really bad blow job joke involving pulling of hair, but for the sake of all involved will keep it to myself...
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:04 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:i have a really bad blow job joke involving pulling of hair, but for the sake of all involved will keep it to myself...

If only you had at the time...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby illy dilly » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:30 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:i have a really bad blow job joke involving pulling of hair, but for the sake of all involved will keep it to myself...

Now- you must tell!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:49 am

theLynxmissesthesnow wrote:Hello, I'm a first-timer, browsing the forums and making lists and such. One thing I've yet to find is how to protect my hair. I need my hair for work, so I'm worried about the desert/sun/dust- It's very long and soft and shiny. Does anyone just come back fine? Is there anything you would suggest...

Think of it as a souvenir.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:55 am

A six-year old comes crying to his mother because his little sister pulled his hair. "Don't be angry," the mother says. "Your sister doesn't realized that pulling hair hurts." A short while later, there's more crying, and the mother goes to investigate. This time the sister is bawling and her brother says, "Now she knows."***

***you may cringe now.
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Lonesomebri » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:02 am

Two words for dealing with your long hair on the playa-

Mohawk Monday
"Grow some facial hair it may help with the gender confusion" -tatonka
Your dreams are not mine to share.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby EvatheElephant » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:30 pm

the answer is really simple! dont wait until youre off the playa to take care of your hair. i have hair to my hips and im always getting compliments on the playa about how soft and clean my hair is. the tip is to wash your hair daily or every other day during the day, clip it up and cover your hair with a scarf, cloth or linen. (youll prolly use this anyway to wear on your head dunked in cold water to keep you cool or to keep the dust out of your nose and mouth.) in the evening when dust storms isnt a problem, lose the scarf and your hair is super clean and soft while everyone elses has clumps of dust in it. a long thin scarf or cloth comes in real handy on the playa
EvatheElephant

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:09 am

Wear a hat.

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks