Garden Sprayers?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:03 pm

I overheat pretty quickly out there. I bring a garden sprayer filled with water and ice everywhere in my bike basket. I mist myself when I start to overheat. Tada.

I also use mine to wash dishes (I don't evap, just haul out the 1-2 gallons I accumulate), rinse my feet before bed, and whatever else I can think of through the week.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby Teo del Fuego » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:38 pm

We have two showers sitting in an approx 8' x 15' black plastic evap pond. We use a wind driven evaporator, which is a big squirrel cage type thing built from bicycle rims, a fan, and a water wicking cloth.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby gyre » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:29 pm

Is the squirrel cage wind powered?
gyre

Postby jkisha » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:37 pm

gyre wrote:Is the squirrel cage wind powered?

My guess would be that "wind driven" might just mean "wind powered". But that's just my guess.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby gyre » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:30 pm

That's why I asked.
I've seen it used to mean the evaaporation was exposed to wind.
gyre

Postby Teo del Fuego » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:09 am

yes, the squirrel cage is hooked up to a fan blade that turns in the wind. The guy who built it got the design from somewhere on ePlaya. It works very well for us.
Teo del Fuego

Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:54 pm

jella wrote:I have a couple of these, I can't imagine being without it during the daytime. Super refreshing :)

Oh yezzzz...I has one of doz too! Essential gear!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Re: Garden Sprayers?

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:45 am

bump
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Like this!

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby AngelDanger » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:23 pm

Here's an on topic question/rambling...I am not super mechanically informed, though I did figure out most of your swamp cooler figjam (just haven't found a good cheap power source yet) after a lot of reading over the thread a few times. I am not sure though if I will have a power source at all this year, I typically tent camp, with few amenities. For my 5th year, I just got a colman tent fan for attaching to a window that runs on batteries because I am so tired of roasting in the morning, and I was thinking the other day how a nice misting system and some shade would even make it possible to sleep in the morning and maybe not require power. My first indication was a garden sprayer but I couldn't quite figure out how long they sprayed for and which one to get.

I am thinking something that will go for 10ish minutes or more, more is better of course, and be a very fine mist. I could attach a hose with holes to whatever it is and attach that on the inside top of a tent for naptime. Is this possible without a power source? The main thing I am a bit stumped on is getting it to go for more then 30 seconds or so. I would love to hear what other people have come up with, related to this or not!

I also am not opposed to a power source, and I am mechanically inclined (if not informed) I just haven't quite pinned down something I understand and would be not too pricey that I can get together in time and understand fully to be able to take care of out there.

Oh, and thanks figjam for being such a BAMF!!
AngelDanger

Postby Elorrum » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:35 pm

uh oh, I'm channeling Rube Goldberg's cousin Ruth here. she could see pictures, but didn't know how stuff got put together, even in her imagination.

the garden sprayer is a good start, but the pressure goes down as the valve is kept open. might not get ten minutes.
so, a 3-5 gallon sprayer, fully pressurized. how about if it just sprayed in bursts? really it would feel about as cool, as the water would be evaporating and that gives you the cool feeling, and then spray again in say cycles of 5 seconds on, 10, to 15 seconds off?

cuckoo clock weights, or spring wound mechanism, or motor... turns a cam that pushes and releases the trigger on the sprayer as it turns around.

I love this site... they have some slow DC motors
http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/sub ... tegory/172
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Re:

Postby Clar-i-ty » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:31 am

Elorrum wrote:I'll bite. One liter. I use it to rinse my dishes over a large funnel that contains a wad of aquarium filter floss, drains into gray water collecting container. This cuts down on water used for washing dishes. The floss dries with the dish and cooking moop, and goes in the trash. I also use the sprayer for mist to cool off.

I've used one of these with a special blend of water, vinegar and Dr. Zoggs to wipe down before I go to bed. Doesn't do bad for a quick light shower too.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

secret formula?

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:11 am

Clar-i-ty wrote:I've used one of these with a special blend of water, vinegar and Dr. Zoggs to wipe down before I go to bed. Doesn't do bad for a quick light shower too.

Do you mind sharing your formula for that special blend? 8) I have been trying different combinations of water, vinegar, and Doc Bronners, but, am not sure I am getting the best results.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Re:

Postby J/J » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:45 am

Elorrum wrote:I'll bite. One liter. I use it to rinse my dishes over a large funnel that contains a wad of aquarium filter floss, drains into gray water collecting container. This cuts down on water used for washing dishes. The floss dries with the dish and cooking moop, and goes in the trash. I also use the sprayer for mist to cool off.

To Elorrum"s Point on spray bottles, even though we are bringing a Hand Washing Station some great additional advice from Essjay for water preservation at this link
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34551&p=684206&hilit=sink#p684206

shall follow advice and bring spray bottle of clean water, spray bottle of water and dish soap, and add a spray bottle of dilute vinegar and spray bottle of sanitizer or dilute bleach in water. Sanitizer required for food service permit.
playa embrace the dust - eplaya embrace the snark
J/J

Camp Name: Adirondack Nomad Camp

Postby melodiousdirge » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:28 pm

Clar-i-ty wrote:Dr. Zoggs

Googled with interesting results... what is Dr. Zoggs exactly? I'm assuming you don't mean surfboard wax.
More ideas than time.
melodiousdirge

Camp Name: Bakka Sevin: 30

Re: Re:

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:14 am

tootsybean wrote:

To Elorrum"s Point on spray bottles, even though we are bringing a Hand Washing Station some great additional advice from Essjay for water preservation at this link
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34551&p=684206&hilit=sink#p684206

shall follow advice and bring spray bottle of clean water, spray bottle of water and dish soap, and add a spray bottle of dilute vinegar and spray bottle of sanitizer or dilute bleach in water. Sanitizer required for food service permit.

Please be careful not to mix bleach and vinegar together. :shock: I'm not sure how long each would have to sit before it could safely join the other in a gray water system; does anybody have data on that?
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Re: Re:

Postby melodiousdirge » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:31 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Please be careful not to mix bleach and vinegar together. :shock: I'm not sure how long each would have to sit before it could safely join the other in a gray water system; does anybody have data on that?

A Dilute bleach solution mixed with a dilute vinegar solution shouldn't produce enough chlorine to worry about, especially in a well ventilated environment like the playa.
More ideas than time.
melodiousdirge

Camp Name: Bakka Sevin: 30

Postby Clar-i-ty » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:42 am

melodiousdirge wrote:
Clar-i-ty wrote:Dr. Zoggs

Googled with interesting results... what is Dr. Zoggs exactly? I'm assuming you don't mean surfboard wax.

Freudian slip. Doc Bronners is what I meant.

I'd say 1/6 - 1/4 vinegar, a good sqeeze of the Castile Soap and then fill it up with water. At home I do 1/4 vinegar, 1/4 lemon juice, a squeeze of dish soap and water in a spray bottle for household stuff. Especially good in the kitchen.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:40 pm

bump

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby HandJamMasterC » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:54 pm

I use one strapped to my Campmor camp kitchen with a bungee cord, as a pressurized hand washing and dishwashing system. Greatest thing ever for only $ 10.00 !!!
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:35 pm

Bump

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby JStep » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:25 pm

I used mine for cooling off (myself and others), washing hands, washing dishes, cleaning off the camp table or anything else and last, but not least, making signs in the road for camps/bars looking to drive traffic in - which I had a blast doing! Very well received. (And yes, I always ask "Want some mist?" - I don't just spray people without asking)

~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:59 pm

Alot of people use garden sprayers for all kind of things on the playa.

So what do you use yours for and how did you modify it to suit your purpose?

There may be a few people that dont know what a garden sprayer is.

Something like this....

They have a great many uses.

Thier small and portable.

I didnt like pumping mine up so I installed a steel tire valve stem from a local auto parts store.

Now I can just give it a shot of air from my compressor instead of pumping.

I think most burners will have at least a small 12volt compressor for bike tires and such.

A garden sprayer was a little small for my needs.

Sooooooooooo...........

Got a double bung water barrel for $15

and bought some stuff in the plumbing isle.....

the bungs are theaded and there enough nipple on the bottom to connect a piece of garden hose long enough to reach the bottom of the barrel.

Intalled steel valve stem.

Add some air.

PRESTO.......running water for my camp!

Its set up to put a regular garden hose on.

Add a spray nozzle and its a FIGJAM garden sprayer.

The barrels come in alot of different sizes, so build to suit your playa needs.

Mines 55gal. but I need enough for my swamp cooler and me and with the hose I can deliver water anywhere in my camp.

The walls of the barrel are about 1/2" thick so they can handle the pressure. More presser=longer squirt. :lol: :lol:

Your turn.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby dr.placebo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:50 pm

We use a pretty minimal setup. One 2-gallon garden sprayer. One small tarp. Two towels. You can get pretty clean without using a lot of water (several showers per gallon, depending on duration). The towels soak up the water, then they are hung up to dry, and the tarp under the towels keeps the playa dry, so no gray water disposal is needed.

For those who like more of a head rinse, a squeeze bottle was used for hair by one of us (my hair is sparse enough to not need much).

The sprayer doubles as a cooling mister on hot days.
dr.placebo

Postby FIGJAM » Mon May 07, 2012 9:52 am

Here's a little change to the water barrel "Garden Sprayer".

Installing a hose on the bottom of one of the bungs to extend to the bottom of the barrel worked, but the hose clamp rusted and let the hose fall off.

This is MUCH better!!!!!!

Cut a piece of 1/2" pvc 32 inches long.

This will fit the nipple on the bottom of the bung once you wallow the interior of one end of the pvc a little.

Use a little pvc cement, and you're good to go.

I have a 20' hose to have running water anywhere in my camp.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:56 am

bump

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby inthecolumbiagorge » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:32 am

We make misters for our shade canopies out of garden sprayers and they work pretty damn good! Pump them up and they spray for about 15-20 minutes per pump up depending on the sprayer. You can buy one already assembled here: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... ci_gpa=pla for $40 bucks or you can make one yourself for a little less but not much.
inthecolumbiagorge

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:52 am

Very useful thread, thx mr FJ. Now I want to put a tire valve on my weed sprayer! Fortunately there are no weeds at BM.

Any thoughts on maintaining and preserving compressors on the playa from the dust? I'm specifically interested in small electric pancake compressors. Thoughts on airbrush compressors welcome. Or do they fall into the category of electronic equipment, once to the playa they are doomed.

(Unfortunately compressors are not useful for making something useful, like pancakes, but they can drive nails like f**k)
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:36 am

I bring a pancake compressor for the sprayer and airing tires and have'nt had any issues.

But depending on your needs, a 12 volt compressor from HF would work.

And yes, I love haveing a shrader vualve on my normal garden sprayer.

Get the all metel valves cause they have a nut on the bottom to get a good seal. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:36 pm

bump.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks