entrance to playa

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

entrance to playa

Postby Babaka » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:48 pm

I had several ideas:
1. Have several lanes for cars only entering as this would speed up waiting in line behind RVs, trucks, etc. that need to be searched. Cars only would have to pop their trunks to show there was no stow-aways.
2. Give out those booklets when first making a right turn to enter the line up. This way while waiting in our vehicles we could highlight all the events we want to try and attend. There were so many hours we just stopped and went getting up to the gate and we could have used that time to study the program outlining the events.
Babaka

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Party Naked Tiki Bar

Re: entrance to playa

Postby unjonharley » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:51 pm

Babaka wrote:I had several ideas:
1. Have several lanes for cars only entering as this would speed up waiting in line behind RVs, trucks, etc. that need to be searched. Cars only would have to pop their trunks to show there was no stow-aways.
2. Give out those booklets when first making a right turn to enter the line up. This way while waiting in our vehicles we could highlight all the events we want to try and attend. There were so many hours we just stopped and went getting up to the gate and we could have used that time to study the program outlining the events.

Eplaya has been over this cars before RV"s many times.. Packed cars take as much time as any..

#2 sstay home until tues. .. you wont have to sit in line for hours..
unjonharley

Postby Dr Helix » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:37 pm

unjonharley wrote:

Eplaya has been over this cars before RV"s many times.. Packed cars take as much time as any..

#2 sstay home until tues. .. you wont have to sit in line for hours..

I agree about the car vs RV wait time. It's 6 of one (RV is bigger, but everything is usually in plain sight) half dozen of the other (Car is smaller, but usually packed to the gills and has to be unloaded) so IMHO it's a wash.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby mrchiff » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:32 pm

I bet that would fuck up traffic in a big way. There's plenty of info out there on the web that you can print out for later.
mrchiff

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:14 pm

If you pack your stuff in a easily searchable manner with out pockets for stowaways it will take you longer to open your vehicle than be searched. PPPPPP.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby ygmir » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:36 am

motskyroonmatick wrote:If you pack your stuff in a easily searchable manner with out pockets for stowaways it will take you longer to open your vehicle than be searched. PPPPPP.

+10
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby unjonharley » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:52 am

ygmir wrote:
motskyroonmatick wrote:If you pack your stuff in a easily searchable manner with out pockets for stowaways it will take you longer to open your vehicle than be searched. PPPPPP.

+10

-+10
unjonharley

Postby Rice » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:02 am

How about staying near your vehicle so you are not holding up the line??

the Greeters hand out the booklets, not Gate.

* I have never ever, in five years, made it to anything I found in the What Where When booklet (WWW). I just head out from camp and eventually make it back... My burn experiences are unplanned!

I hesitate to say this, but it seems the WWW is gear towards spectators. Although, it is hard enough to find anything in BRC, so is the WWW is a way for Theme Camps to publish their location(s)?
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:31 am

What's the hurry! The wait in line is part of the Burning Man experience...time to relax, meet your neighbors in line, enjoy the freak show, fix a sandwich...coming or going!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:44 am

they we're KILLIN' it in the D-Lot last year, that party was off the hook!
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby inthecolumbiagorge » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:53 pm

So what exactly are they looking for in the car search other than stowaways, weapons, fireworks, glass and feathers? How extensive is this search? Do they take all your clothes out of the suitcases, all the food out of boxes or how involved does it get? I have been to many festivals with varying levels of search upon entry. Everyplace does it their own way but when they go into serious detail and start checking things in minute detail it sure slows up the lines:-(
inthecolumbiagorge

Postby illy dilly » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:06 pm

inthecolumbiagorge wrote:search other than stowaways, weapons, fireworks, glass and feathers? How extensive is this search? Do they take all your clothes out of the suitcases,

Thats pretty much it.
O, and live animals and live plants.

I think a lot of it depends on your attitude. Like many things if you look suspecious they will be quicker to search. Each year we've taken the RV, I have to ask the gate person "don't you wanna look in the bathtube? What about this big under storage spot?" But, we also have nothing to hide, so we don't seem like we're hiding anything.

On the past they have commented on the smell of the *medicine and just suggested that we "...air it out, because LEO has been pulling people over between gates and greeters."
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby ygmir » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:24 pm

inthecolumbiagorge wrote:So what exactly are they looking for in the car search other than stowaways, weapons, fireworks, glass and feathers? How extensive is this search? Do they take all your clothes out of the suitcases, all the food out of boxes or how involved does it get? I have been to many festivals with varying levels of search upon entry. Everyplace does it their own way but when they go into serious detail and start checking things in minute detail it sure slows up the lines:-(

as Illy stated, attitude can play a big part.
it's discretionary to a point, with the crew on duty at the time.
there are several threads with helpful hints, on how to pack and how to present your vehicle for inspection, so that you are delayed as little as possible.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby lucky420 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:35 am

You mean last years strip search wasn't the norm? :oops:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Savannah » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:28 pm

A friend of mine told his little brother that you have to be naked to get through Gate . . . and let him get most of his clothes off before the laughter clued him in.

They're a fun clan. :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Sail Man » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:37 pm

Dr Helix wrote:I agree about the car vs RV wait time. It's 6 of one (RV is bigger, but everything is usually in plain sight) half dozen of the other (Car is smaller, but usually packed to the gills and has to be unloaded) so IMHO it's a wash.

IDK, Dr..my first year we pulled up with a F150 packed to the gills, cab and bed, over and under tonneau cap, and off the rear rack and gate just shook his head and waved us through LOL
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby robbidobbs » Tue May 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Savannah wrote:A friend of mine told his little brother that you have to be naked to get through Gate . . . and let him get most of his clothes off before the laughter clued him in.

That's fuckin great!
Don't fuck with Gate, they're not amused. I really appreciate the term "present your vehicle for inspection". That's exactly the right attitude.
Gate is part of your burningman experience. Embrace it. D-lot is a raging party, I hear! I'd love to hang out with Sweethang on Sunday night, but by then I've worked 3 hard days. Chill, and don't make anyone's job harder.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:49 am

robbidobbs wrote:
Savannah wrote:A friend of mine told his little brother that you have to be naked to get through Gate . . . and let him get most of his clothes off before the laughter clued him in.

That's fuckin great!
Don't fuck with Gate, they're not amused. I really appreciate the term "present your vehicle for inspection". That's exactly the right attitude.
Gate is part of your burningman experience. Embrace it. D-lot is a raging party, I hear! I'd love to hang out with Sweethang on Sunday night, but by then I've worked 3 hard days. Chill, and don't make anyone's job harder.

Well, it should be pretty easy to find Sweetthang cruising in the city on her cart about then. Now, if you want to come out to DLot and play with us, just say the word. I've got a nice spot right over here for ya....
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby ygmir » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:21 am

Lord Of Ruin wrote:
robbidobbs wrote:

That's fuckin great!

Well, it should be pretty easy to find Sweetthang cruising in the city on her cart about then. Now, if you want to come out to DLot and play with us, just say the word. I've got a nice spot right over here for ya....

hey LOR!! where ya been?

good idea to invite to the Dlot party. what fun!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby theLynxmissesthesnow » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:16 pm

ygmir wrote:
inthecolumbiagorge wrote:So what exactly are they looking for in the car search other than stowaways, weapons, fireworks, glass and feathers? How extensive is this search? Do they take all your clothes out of the suitcases, all the food out of boxes or how involved does it get? I have been to many festivals with varying levels of search upon entry. Everyplace does it their own way but when they go into serious detail and start checking things in minute detail it sure slows up the lines:-(

as Illy stated, attitude can play a big part.
it's discretionary to a point, with the crew on duty at the time.
there are several threads with helpful hints, on how to pack and how to present your vehicle for inspection, so that you are delayed as little as possible.

Is there a list anywhere of stuff you can't bring?
Like hunting knives? Or carabiners... kitten blood?
theLynxmissesthesnow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death

Postby Rice » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:55 pm

theLynxmissesthesnow wrote:Is there a list anywhere of stuff you can't bring?
Like hunting knives? Or carabiners... kitten blood?

The survival guide has a good list of stuff you cannot bring. http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... index.html

Last year's full survival PDF guide: http://www.burningman.com/media/doc/pre ... _guide.pdf

Check out: http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... ities.html

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... /pets.html

Basically, no pets. Its hot, dry, and a pet would be a full time commitment. Do yourself and your pet a favor and leave them at home.

No feathers. They break down and pollute the playa.

No Guns, paintball markers, pellet guns, swords, or large weapons. I carry a couple folding knives and have never even been given a second glance. (Last year I saw a guy with a Samurai sword get stopped. He had his sword confiscated, and then proceeded to talk himself into getting a citation as well. His attitude made things so much worse than they were originally...)

Basically nothing that could blow away or that is difficult to pick up it it hits the playa. (ie: glitter - since it will fall off and make a mess).

Leave no trace, means - don't let it hit the ground. If it does, it is your responsibility to clean it up.

Make sure your vehicle does not have any leaks. No matter how small the leak, after a week it will be soaked into the playa and need to be dealt with. Either get the leak fixed ahead of time or do something to prevent the leak from hitting the ground.

Peanut, cashew shells are bad. and Cigarette butts. If you do bring these things, make sure you have a plan for dealing with the shells. If you smoke, carry a sealable container to store your butts while you are exploring, and have a metal container with a lid to store them when you get back to your camp.

I choose not to comment on the kitten blood ;)

the BM beginners guide probably has some more stuff you should not bring.

2011 was a very unusual year in that we hardly had any wind and no dust storms. It is very common to have a sudden wind wip up from no-where and blow anything loose away. So, put anything that could blow away in a strong wind - away when you are done with it. When leaving your camp, lock it down, put everything away, close tent flaps, etc. That way when a dust storm blows up, your camp is the way you left it...

I am sure there is more.

Read the survival guide a few times. (please)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby theLynxmissesthesnow » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:01 pm

Thank you.

I am reading the survival guide, but am only about 1/3 thru it as my ADD is pretty wild these days. I will def be done before July and have decided long ago that I will not be a nuisance to anyone on the playa.

Unless they flirt with my boyfriend :)
theLynxmissesthesnow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death

Postby Rice » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:20 pm

theLynxmissesthesnow wrote:Thank you.

I am reading the survival guide, but am only about 1/3 thru it as my ADD is pretty wild these days. I will def be done before July and have decided long ago that I will not be a nuisance to anyone on the playa.

Unless they flirt with my boyfriend :)

no problems.

The desert is a pretty harsh place, being properly prepared will go a long way towards you having a awesome time.

If you or your BF are feeling grouchy, you probably need to rest and drink some water. (don't argue, just do :shock: )

I have heard that Burning Man can be hard on relationships. Lots of distractions, unexpected and unintended attention. You and your boyfriend should probably read: http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... ships.html

Honest communications, clear boundaries, respect and trust go a long way. Burning Man enhances everything you experience. Bad days will be worse, enhanced passion, anger greater, love stronger.

This will be the 3rd burn that my GF and I have done together. We actually met on the playa. We go for a mix of time together and time apart. That way we get to have our own experience apart and then different experiences together.

did i mention, drink some water?? {smirk}
Love Rice

Rice

Postby bluesbob » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:56 pm

It's long. It's slow. But I've never spent a bad hour waiting in line. The fun really begins there.
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Camp Name: AV

Postby bluesbob » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:59 pm

Actually the fun begins when I pulled out of my driveway all packed up.
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Camp Name: AV

Postby Sham » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:28 am

The car check mostly consists of searching for stowaways and blatantly obvious banned things. It's also meant to see that you are prepared for your week in the desert. If you only have a tent and a duffel bag, you will be asked if you are meeting others with your supplies. Are you hiding things and are you prepared, are two big things the car check is meant to do.

This is NOT a TSA type search, but rather a check to make sure that all is well and you understand things.

I recall the time I left the event and had returned with a virtually empty car. I had a very confused look when they went to search my car and told them I might be lost---I am looking for the Motel 6. This would have sent up a red flag if I was really as unprepared as I looked.
Sham

Postby BBadger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:14 am

"Holy shit, are you a Burner?"

"No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night."
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to Get Involved!