Stowaways!

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Stowaways!

Postby Foxfur » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:28 am

Last year before our convoy left town we all checked for our tickets and EA passes. I went so far as to place mine in the junk pouch on the back of my seat ant duct tape the top of the pouch closed so as to prevent accidental stupidity from happening.

While waiting in line at gate, I opened up my trailer and pulled out everything from below the bed in the rear and placed it atop the bed, opened my shower stall, and moved crap out of the way of my closet door so as to allow for a quick and thorough search. The gate folks really appreciated it and it took less than 30 seconds from start to finish.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby ygmir » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:31 am

Foxfur wrote:Last year before our convoy left town we all checked for our tickets and EA passes. I went so far as to place mine in the junk pouch on the back of my seat ant duct tape the top of the pouch closed so as to prevent accidental stupidity from happening.

While waiting in line at gate, I opened up my trailer and pulled out everything from below the bed in the rear and placed it atop the bed, opened my shower stall, and moved crap out of the way of my closet door so as to allow for a quick and thorough search. The gate folks really appreciated it and it took less than 30 seconds from start to finish.

and another example of you being a perfect Burngin!!!
it's amazing, how quickly the search can go, if people are and seem willing.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:35 am

Yup!

The search was 2 seconds.

All I did was open the door to the pod and it was over.

Admiration of the pod took a couple of minutes though! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Foxfur » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:48 am

ygmir wrote:
Foxfur wrote:Last year before our convoy left town we all checked for our tickets and EA passes. I went so far as to place mine in the junk pouch on the back of my seat ant duct tape the top of the pouch closed so as to prevent accidental stupidity from happening.

and another example of you being a perfect Burngin!!!
it's amazing, how quickly the search can go, if people are and seem willing.

It would not have been possible without joining (and radically participation) Eplaya, asking questions and humbly receiving advice (i.e., not arguing with responses!), and reading all of the suggested materials (survival guide, 10 principles, etc.).
YOU ALL made me what I was and am :D
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:56 am

They just lift the trunk lid far enough to poke the spear blade in a few times to make sure.
Then they're done.
Only takes time to move the bike to open the trunk.
gyre

Postby Rice » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:26 am

That is how you do it right!

It would be cool if the so-called veteran burners would be as prepared. Most of their vehicles look like a monkey on crack did the packing... (to steal a quote - sorry cannot remember author!)

One's experience at gate is directly reflective of their preparation and cooperation.

Unfortunately some people end up in D-Lot (the penalty box of Gate) - Mass disorganization and/or lack of cooperation will extend your gate experience...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby C187 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:07 pm

If only every burner with a shit load of stuff was like Foxfur.
We can dream, we can dream..
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby Danger » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:02 pm

I'm bypassing the entire car search this year and setting up a trebuchet on the road, outside of the event limits. For $25 I'll launch any ticketless would-be burners well past the gates. I guarantee launch, but landing is the customer's responsibility.
Danger

Postby brcprincess » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:14 pm

I wonder if people will take this warning seriously? I say that because I've heard the same warning in previous years, and also heard the rule is not actually enforced. People may think it's the same this year.

It's a good idea to post warning signs along the highway and entrance announcing this is the policy but if people have come that far, are they reallly going to turn back?

I guess they key is to discourage people ahead of time by making announcements on the FB page, JRS etc.
brcprincess

Postby Rice » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:56 pm

I know that people got tickets for trespassing last year.
People got arrested the third time they were caught.

All the occupants of vehicles got their tickets confiscated for trying to sneak someone in.
You will get the attention of Perimeter vehicles if you try and wait on gate road. Failure to follow their simple advice and instruction will result in an encounter with law enforcement.

If law enforcement has to deal with you, they are going to make sure it is worth their time.

D-Lot is where you will end up if you show up when the gates are closed. Which will increase your wait by hours (many hours).

This year's permit was issued on the condition that Burning Man follows all of the conditions of the permit. Do you think they are going to take any chances and have the event canceled?

Oh, if tickets are confiscated - the vehicle is noted as well. so Good luck in getting that theme camp in...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks