Prepare a piece for Burning Man's 2012 time capsule!

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Prepare a piece for Burning Man's 2012 time capsule!

Postby KiKi Maroon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:39 pm

Hey guys!
We are not a 'stage' but are seeking artist and performers for a project. A kind of 'audio performance time capsule' for Burning Man 2012. Here's the explanation-

Singularity Transmissions is a Texas artist collective and an honorarium project for this years Burning Man! It is a 40' sculptural interactive tower designed to simultaneously converge the voices of up to 15 individuals into one unified transmission through the use of tin-can phones. The phones are in 10' pods surrounding the main tower, in which people can sing, talk, laugh, pray, scream, or even plug in an instrument, lap top, or ipod. All 15 channels come together inside the main tower, in real time, creating a moment of PLAYA SINGULARITY (a much needed thing for this years Burn).
All the collected audio will be available online in an open source data base. Used as-is or remixed as desired; our hope is for artist, musicians, film makers, and performers to create new work with this material.
We would like to reach out to singers, poets, musicians, djs, spoken word artist, yodelers, vocal meditators, actors, messages to the future, Anyone/groups who would like to create a transmission for this 2012 Burning Man audio time capsule
For more information, videos, or to donate to our Kickstarter please visit-
http://www.singularitytransmissions.com/

While it's a beautiful piece, it will only be a TRUE SUCCESSES if the community knows about it and contributes to it. Please consider a piece and/or spread the word :-)
Thank you!!!
XoXo
KiKi
KiKi Maroon

Re: Prepare a piece for Burning Man's 2012 time capsule!

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:59 pm

one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby KiKi Maroon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:35 pm

Woah. That video linked to this one. Definitely an inspiration for the 'sound sculptures' we want to happen.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/_SIseIo_dwM
XoXo
KiKi
KiKi Maroon

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:41 pm

i thought it might...

you're welcome...

*note, on that video, they overlayed Terry McKenna, but you got the idea....
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby incubus_pantomime » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:42 am

I can't wait to see this on the playa and contribute! :D

Oh, and Kiki, your Sordid Sideshows are AMAZING! The weekends I've come to see your show have been some of the best weekends since I moved to Houston last May, and I've been introduced to some great people. Can't wait for the next one!
"I think perhaps love thrives on unlikely circumstance and chance : life thrives on these principles, and is life not love? And love not life?"
incubus_pantomime

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Lamplighters (thanks, guys and gals!)

Postby KiKi Maroon » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:57 am

I love it Simon. I think the overlaying is what makes it so relevant to The Singularity Transmissions project. There's going to be so many people/music/ambient noise layering over each other. Check out the audio test we just uploaded. The crazy pulsing sound (after the "testing testing" part) is just what happens when you lightly pluck the strings.
http://vimeo.com/44433807
Can you imagine what the vibrations of a sand storm will sound like?! It's so exciting :)

Thank you so much Incubus! I'm glad you found our show :) (and a bit jealous! Houston's sooo big. It took me about 2 years after moving here to find stuff I liked!). This project has taken over my life, so the sideshow is on hiatus until after the burn. But we will definitely be coming back with a bang. If you have a Facebook, look for "KiKis Sordid Sideshow". I'm still getting in pictures and videos from the last few shows :) AND were going to start doing a video podcast to make up for our burning man induced absence. Who do you camp with?
XoXo
KiKi
KiKi Maroon

Postby KiKi Maroon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:53 pm

Woohoo!
Chessmaniac AKA Dennis just made an AWESOME 'ad' for this project to be run on the playa stations! It explains the project better and funnier than we have been able to . Please check it out :-) THANK YOU DENNIS!

http://soundcloud.com/radio-free-vermont/singularity
XoXo
KiKi
KiKi Maroon

Return to 2012 Art & Performance