Anubis

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Re: Anubis

Postby chiefdanfox » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:32 am

Hey folks! We had a great turn out for our FUNdraiser at NIMBY this Saturday, but we still have a long way to go. Please help spread the word, every little bit helps, and I hope the people who want to see this on the playa will help make it happen. Very simple math: If everyone who surrounds the sculpture when it burns gave in currency the same as a coffee refill, we would easily have enough to bring this to the playa. I also think if more people knew about how projects make it out to the playa, people might be inclined to give. I have spoken to a few newcomers recently, and about half of them thought that all of the big art pieces were paid for through ticket sales. There are still a lot of folks out there who think the Trojan Horse was an Honorarium project, which it wasn't. Just like the Trojan Horse, Anubis is tin-cupping every morsel, and unlike theme camps promoting big name DJs, and art projects promoting the names of known artists, Anubis, like the Trojan Horse, is a creation of people who like to go to Burning Man, and like to go BIG! Thanks!
chiefdanfox

Postby carefactornil » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:14 am

Just awesome! Love all things Egypt and look forward to seeing my own huge project from the top of yours!

Hope you manage to do heiroglyphs. Doing it an actual stone style would be amazing and isn't that hard. Here's a link to my hallway which is a mural of an Egyptian tomb:

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0096009/photo ... 345863315/

Plenty of other photos in that set, if you want inspiration.

Also, sorry if I've missed the link, but how do we send you funds from the UK? Paypal?

Cheese Simon, London, UK.
carefactornil

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Syncytium

Postby carefactornil » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:02 am

Don't worry about the funding bit - seen how to do that now (I think!). Will forward to everyone - this HAS to happen!
carefactornil

Postby carefactornil » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:03 am

Can't remember if it's been on the Jack Rabbit Speaks email, but this is something just begging to go on there for fund-raising awareness. If you've not mailed Will about it, suggest you do that ASAP as that's a HUGE audience.

Good luck!
carefactornil

Postby chiefdanfox » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:47 am

Thanks!
chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:18 am

Hey folks! We are building the head to Anubis this weekend at NIMBY in Oakland. The aim is to have something tangible for people to see in an effort to boost our fundraising. We still have a few weeks left in the Kickstarter program, but we are still a long way away from hitting our goal. Please encourage interested people to help, sign up to volunteer and donate. It is definitely a weird year. NIMBY reports that NO projects are underway at this time at their location. NONE. That is simply unheard of.
Thanks!
chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:26 pm

chiefdanfox

Postby plumblove » Thu May 03, 2012 10:27 pm

Let's get some more love for this project on Kickstarter. Give til it hurts. You'll appreciate it even more if you helped get it there. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chi ... ref=search
plumblove

Postby burner von braun » Sun May 06, 2012 10:11 am

Looking forward to seeing more of Anubis!

..and what plumblove said, even if you haven't gotten your ticket yet, here is a place where you can pitch in and help make the burn even better for everyone, by supporting the art. I know if I don't make it out there this year, when I see Anubis on the webcam, I'll know I was at least a small part of making that happen.
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby carefactornil » Sun May 06, 2012 10:19 am

Hear, hear!

I SO hope we get to see this out at BRC this year! Please can anyone who reads this, even if you don't donate a few $, please cut and paste the kickstarter link into your Twitter, FB, etc. If me, a Londoner can get 6 other people, some of whom have never been to BM to donate to this, then together we can make the guys working hard to make this happen get to deliver the dream.

Have asked Will Chase to post on the BM FB page or in the JRS. I think it's so important that this unusual year with a high population of Birgins get to be truly inspired by what the BM community can achieve.
carefactornil

Postby burner von braun » Tue May 15, 2012 4:56 pm

Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Postby carefactornil » Thu May 17, 2012 5:50 am

Don't know what there is as a Plan B for this, as whilst you've gone past the materials goal, it's still a way off the magic total, although it does seem to keep climbing steadily.

But what the Breaking Wave crew are doing strikes me as a VERY effective way of drawing additional funds (raffle for a ticket), assuming you can put up a ticket as bait/prize:

http://breakingwave.ca/?page_id=28
carefactornil

Postby chiefdanfox » Wed May 23, 2012 10:04 am

We have a new campaign. We will try to crowdfund the construction only, and do events to get the doggone thing out to the playa, so y'all can help us burn it!
http://www.indiegogo.com/ANUBIS2012
Last edited by chiefdanfox on Wed May 23, 2012 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Wed May 23, 2012 10:06 am

If we can find a ticket to raffle, I think it is an OK idea. I would still want to at least send an amulet or a burn-fired hieroglyph to those buying a raffle voucher, as a token of appreciation.
chiefdanfox

Postby carefactornil » Wed May 23, 2012 11:20 am

Dan,

Firstly, great news that you're not giving up!

I'd definitely add the video(s) you have onto the new webpage though - the visuals of that are what drew me in. Just watching that Sketchup video gives me goosebumps.
carefactornil

Postby chiefdanfox » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:38 pm

chiefdanfox wrote:We have a new campaign. We will try to crowdfund the construction only, and do events to get the doggone thing out to the playa, so y'all can help us burn it!

bump
chiefdanfox

Postby moonrise » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:31 am

Dawg, I LOVE this project!

I'd buy a raffle ticket for a non-existant Bunring Man 2012 ticket, that's how much I love ANUBIS.

In the meantime, there's always the kickstarter. :P
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby chiefdanfox » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:34 am

Full moon on burn night
chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:36 am

Platform and head. We could make a Sphackal!
chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:43 am

Into the Catacombs!
chiefdanfox

Postby moonrise » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:29 am

chiefdanfox wrote:We have a new campaign. We will try to crowdfund the construction only, and do events to get the doggone thing out to the playa, so y'all can help us burn it!

Oh, correction! There's always indiegogo AND (soon) kickstarter... My tribe is giving to BOTH!!

Please share the links, and if possible contribute with help, materials and funds if ya' got 'em to spare. ~]'[~
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby chiefdanfox » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:00 pm

...where did I leave that jerrycan?
chiefdanfox

Postby theduskah » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Wow that looks spectacular! I hope the fundraising is going well!
Yo people! Check out soundcloud.com/dubble_penetration for some free tunes and things! Thanks!
theduskah

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:40 pm

YEA! Anubis was funded on indiegogo!

:D :D :D :D
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby chiefdanfox » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:46 am

We did, but we still have a boatload of cash to raise to get it out to the playa! Trucking, DG, equipment rental, insurance, *~ouch~*. We raised enough to build it, burn it (pyro), our rent is paid. We have a raffle for TWO tickets going. Check the tickets offered thread.
chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:06 am

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful support and good wishes! This has been a great ride so far, and the team is excited to no end to bring this venture out to the playa! We are in our final throes of preparing our work for transport to the playa. We would love to have your help on playa, keeping a watchful eye on moop around the piece, and help with our LNT after we burn. Anubis will have a huge perimeter this year, and there is a lot of space to demoop, so any and all help is welcome! We are also still asking for fire perimeter folks. You will receive a tricked out LED light wand, a fashionable orange safety vest (ALL of the cool kids are wearing them in HOLLAND!), and a laminate made by the Black Rock FX team.

our volunteer form is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie ... E6MQ#gid=0

Anyway enough of the pimping. This is going to be a great year, and I simply can't wait!
Cheers,
Dan
chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:31 pm

We made it. We built it. We burned it. Thank you everyone who believed. I worked with another iron crew. That is two years running. I live in a world of power and grace. Thank you Anubis crew, I love you forever.
chiefdanfox

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:05 pm

Thank you, chiefdanfox and crew! Anubis was inspiring!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Candybox » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:51 am

<3

-Monica
PS. Can't wait for next year, be it Kraken or cracked out artcar :D
Candybox

Postby EspressoDude » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:18 am

One of the best projects I lit on fire this year.

BLACK ROCK f/x PYRO CREW & ARSON SQUAD
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Art & Performance