BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Fertility 2.0 - Black Rock City is a kind of Petri dish. Theme camps cling in fertile clusters to its latticework of streets, artworks tumble out of it, like pollen on the air. These nodes of interaction mutate, grow and reproduce their kind. Burning Man communities have now escaped this capsule world: our culture in a Petri dish has effloresced - it spreads across five continents. This year's art theme contemplates the tendency of any being or living system to create abundant life.

BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby quadraspleen » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:01 am

Now, being one who likes to practice what I preach (except when I'm dealing with my kids - Do As I say Not As I do, kind of lick there) here's another crackpot, back of fag (cigarette for you yanks) packet, but oh so positive, theory:

I think BM 2012 could be a proper cracker. I've only been to two so i can't really have any kind of opinion as to what went before, but I think it will be one of the most fullfilling, joyful, crazy batshit and hopeful, BM's ever.

Here's why: Everyone, from the top of the BMORG, to the lowliest of pond-scum Sparkle-Ponies, will be ON THEIR GAME this year. They have to be. Everybody is looking at us now. What's all the fuss about staying a week (six months in some DPW cases) in the shithole, dusty desert getting raked by wind and having to cart all of their stuff in and out...How is that fun, huh?

Shall we show them?

Just an idea...

jake out
I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed

Enough is too little...Too much is enough...
User avatar
quadraspleen
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:38 am
Location: Wet and windy England
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: The Corner of Shady & Wrong

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby quadraspleen » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:06 am

Sorry, wrong forum; meant for this to go into BM 2012 event forum. Can someone move it? It's not really about tickets or the perceived lack thereof..

Jake out
I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed

Enough is too little...Too much is enough...
User avatar
quadraspleen
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:38 am
Location: Wet and windy England
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: The Corner of Shady & Wrong

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:17 am

quadraspleen wrote:They have to be. Everybody is looking at us now.


Of course it will be good, however not for that reason - the point for many of us is that we really don't care what everybody thinks.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
User avatar
Drawingablank
 
Posts: 2018
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: NY
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:17 am




(forget it.. he's rolling.)
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby quadraspleen » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:40 am

Drawingablank wrote:
quadraspleen wrote:They have to be. Everybody is looking at us now.


Of course it will be good, however not for that reason - the point for many of us is that we really don't care what everybody thinks.


Not even your fellow burners? They're all looking at each other, too..Some for the wrong reasons (i.e. why did they get a ticket when my mate/camp/whatever is better than them)..You are kind of missing my point, but whatever; I was trying to be a little more positive..there's lots of doom and gloom around here..still, make of it what you will..it is Burning man, after all!

And actually, I reckon what some sections of society think about BM IS/HAS been important, even if you can't see it now..BM is ALLOWED to happen (rightly or wrongly but it's a fact) by certain dark US Govt forces (the BLM and State of NV for two) ..I personally think they like the $$$ too much to rock the boat too much, but there but for the grace of the BLM and all that..I know you/we/them don't really care what they think of WHY we do what we do, but that doesn't mean it's not ok to step up to the plate..it's more about the ticketing fiasco than BM as a state of mind...

And, I am basing part of my super-science on statements from the BMORG itself, as to the criteria for the 10000;They need to be on the toppest form ever to be considered..Imagine what that means for the rest of us! Woohoo!

Lead by example is always a good idea...

jake out
I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed

Enough is too little...Too much is enough...
User avatar
quadraspleen
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:38 am
Location: Wet and windy England
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: The Corner of Shady & Wrong

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby cpart » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:52 am

So since they fucked up the ticket situation WE have to make is awesome?

pawhpawhpawh.
User avatar
cpart
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:43 am
Burning Since: 2010

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:59 pm

@cpart - I disagree. You may not have liked the results, but the lottery not only worked as expected, but it saved our asses. Registration did block a significant number of scalpers (if you look at other hot ticket events, there are many many times more tickets being offered by scalpers), it gave more people a shot (instead of selling out in minutes like many hot ticket events with far more demand than supply… registration was open for two weeks). And the structure of the ticket sales gave room to cancel the secondary sale and direct 10K tickets to camps and projects in need - in an unrestricted open sale those tickets would have been gone, in the hands of scalpers charging double to triple face value from the start.

But back to the OP's question, yeah it'll be the best burn ever…just like every year. I think some will feel a poke from whatever close call they felt because of scarcity, but I think it was already on trek to be the best burn ever because that's generally what happens. Each iteration of the event gets better, because the participants choose to make it better. Those who've been before learn from what worked and what didn't, artists and designers and builders push their skills to the limit, and the bar gets set a little bit higher. Those who haven't been hopefully benefit from the experience and information from yet another year's crop of burners to guide them (either directly or indirectly from things shared online). And all this will hopefully set the stage for an even better burn in 2013 (assuming of course the world doesn't end before then).
User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10628
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:54 pm
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:03 pm

cpart wrote:So since they fucked up the ticket situation WE have to make is awesome?

pawhpawhpawh.



"We have to make it awesome."
Isn't that what BM is all about, year after year?
That's why it's not just another festival.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
User avatar
catinthefunnyhat
 
Posts: 2182
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:24 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:29 pm

This year was better.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:03 pm

i just got back from the future. it was FANTASTIC this year!


but two words of advice, people...



Bring Goggles.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13856
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:04 pm

*adds "giggles" to list*
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37413
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:09 pm

gaggles of em'.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13856
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby cpart » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:40 am

I was being sarcastic.
User avatar
cpart
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:43 am
Burning Since: 2010

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:59 am

cpart wrote:I was being sarcastic.



Your street cred level after the recent trolling is somewhere between 0 and -43.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby HandJamMasterC » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:31 am

But back to the OP's question, yeah it'll be the best burn ever…just like every year. I think some will feel a poke from whatever close call they felt because of scarcity, but I think it was already on trek to be the best burn ever because that's generally what happens. Each iteration of the event gets better, because the participants choose to make it better. Those who've been before learn from what worked and what didn't, artists and designers and builders push their skills to the limit, and the bar gets set a little bit higher. Those who haven't been hopefully benefit from the experience and information from yet another year's crop of burners to guide them (either directly or indirectly from things shared online). And all this will hopefully set the stage for an even better burn in 2013 (assuming of course the world doesn't end before then).


Absolutely true Trilo. This will be our 3rd year as a theme camp, and we learn every year how to make this crazy experience better each time !! I can't wait !!
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
User avatar
HandJamMasterC
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:18 am
Location: Cameron Park CA
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby mgb327 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:33 am

Having free access to Stewies' time machine, I must agree this year (2012) was great. That 36 hour white-out did the proper Darwinian action. The exodus on Wed was bad, but it left the rest of the week less crowded for those of ue that survived. BTW, while I was cruising around with said machine, I already got my tickets for 2013....bought 4. BwaaHaaHaaaaaaa.............yes, SOP was correct, industrial goggles, maybe even welding goggles.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
User avatar
mgb327
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Somerset, Va.

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:44 am

mgb327 wrote:yes, SOP was correct, industrial goggles, maybe even welding goggles.


not leaving anything to chance

Image
Last edited by catinthefunnyhat on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
User avatar
catinthefunnyhat
 
Posts: 2182
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:24 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby wh..sh » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:53 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:i just got back from the future. it was FANTASTIC this year!


but two words of advice, people...



Bring Goggles.

Yesterday, while I was kayaking in Lake Tahoe, I was thinking about how HOT it was, especially without the wind (and it was a nice 84).
I was wondering why I wanted to burn myself in the desert for a week :lol:

Gosh, I love Nevada!! The high desert scape is so unconventional and so demanding!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
User avatar
wh..sh
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby mgb327 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:07 am

The skinny black tie makes it bulletproof.
Attachments
images2.jpg
images2.jpg (5.56 KiB) Viewed 2958 times
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
User avatar
mgb327
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Somerset, Va.

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:25 am

catinthefunnyhat wrote:
mgb327 wrote:yes, SOP was correct, industrial goggles, maybe even welding goggles.


not leaving anything to chance

Image

*Fishy flees from the ancestral monster.*
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37413
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby cpart » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:11 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
Your street cred level after the recent trolling is somewhere between 0 and -43.




:roll:
User avatar
cpart
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:43 am
Burning Since: 2010

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby Rice » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:41 pm

cpart wrote: :roll:

We all have our off days ;)

(I acknowledge that the ticket situation was at best imperfect, but there seems to be way more people than tickets, so any solution will be unfair to some. Best to move on and know that it will be better in future years)


You could wait for them to make it happen, make Burning Man the awesome experience we all love ... I find waiting for the proverbial them to do anything pointless. So, Lets make Burning Man Awesome.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Great White North, Saskatchewan, Canada
Burning Since: 2007

Re: BM 2012 - best BM ever?

Postby cpart » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:23 pm

catinthefunnyhat wrote:Isn't that what BM is all about, year after year?



I couldn't imagine it being any different.
User avatar
cpart
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:43 am
Burning Since: 2010


Return to 2012 Theme

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests