Tent or Car Port

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: Tent or Car Port

Postby BBadger » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:08 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Export feature...
Hm.

But what do I save it as?

Photos: JPEG (JPG)
Lossless images (logos, etc.): PNG

Generally save it as the same format of the original file. If in doubt, save as JPEG.

JPEGs have a quality setting, which affects their size and how they appear. For forums, you can usually get away with as low as 50% quality. You'll probably be able to preview it to see what is best. Beyond 80% you generally have diminishing returns.

For forums, you should never make images larger than 800x600. 640x480 is probably appropriate for most things (the size of the image above). More than that and it should have been cropped/resized smaller to concentrate attention on the subject of interest. Plus the forum will add scrollbars to your image which will diminish the effect. If it's a photo that you want to be big, link it off the forum to Photobucket or somewhere else. The worst is when someone takes a 10MB cell phone camera photo of an object that takes up about 5% of the photo's area, and only the background is in focus.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:13 pm

For poles I find bundling them with pallet wrap on both ends holds them securely and comes off with no residue. Small dispensers like this are available at the Depot for a few bucks.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby BBadger » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:29 pm

Drawingablank wrote:For poles I find bundling them with pallet wrap on both ends holds them securely and comes off with no residue. Small dispensers like this are available at the Depot for a few bucks.

Huh... that's a good idea. I should check that out for this coming burn.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby DoctorIknow » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:34 pm

Drawingablank wrote:For poles I find bundling them with pallet wrap on both ends holds them securely and comes off with no residue. Small dispensers like this are available at the Depot for a few bucks.

Pallet wrap is one product I can't even imagine not having for preparation or departure from the playa.
I probably use it 20 to 1 over duct tape.
Anything you use if for (bundled camo, poles, ropes) can be accessed with a razor knife faster than undoing any other securing system.
And not a moop problem, as even long strands of it can be jammed in your pocket while setting up.

Get the 6inch size. The smaller 2" not so useful.
DoctorIknow

Postby DoctorIknow » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:45 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:No. Nothing on the roof. I don't have a rack, and couldn't reach it if I did.
Yes, a packing problem. The problem being that 3 totes, a second chair, a cot, and a cooler are already using up most of my space, even without the carport (poles, roof, and sides). I pretty much have the back bench seat, shotgun and the floor in front and the part of the back that's not filled with the massive motor of the side door. I suppose I should get a couple of the canvas duffells for the poles...

If you believe you are having an overload problem, "helper" springs (for the rear leaf springs) are not a big investment. Any garage could install them, they just are bolted on to existing springs, but 4x4 places might be cheaper. They REALLY help and don't change your ride when in normal street/unloaded mode.

Hellwig is just one of many manufacturers.

After getting helper springs, a roof rack will be a great add on. For access, you can get either a small plastic stepladder, or if your vehicle is higher, a light 6 foot aluminum ladder that can be strapped right on the edge of the rack.

I never expect help when loading or unloading, and I can do everything "up top" with help from a very cheap ladder.
DoctorIknow

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:47 pm

DoctorIknow wrote:I never expect help when loading or unloading, and I can do everything "up top" with help from a very cheap ladder.

Someone, please tell the good doctor the issue. Please.
I will say that a ladder is not an option...
And it's not an overload problem it's a bulk problem. I have very little cubic footage and have to use it carefully.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BBadger » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:27 pm

Ms. Fishist is wheelchair bound, so in addition to the wheelchair itself, a great deal of space is dedicated to the lift in the van and all its support functionality. It's possible that such modifications could be made to the van, but for the roof rack other people would need to do the loading and unloading for her. I'm actually not sure how theCryptoFishist sets up everything for the burn or if there is much assistance.

BBadger

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:26 pm

I get help with the carport...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:48 pm

Well, that's tiny...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby BBadger » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Yes, that's a bit hard to read.

BBadger

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:17 pm

I scanned it off an 8.5 x 11...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:29 pm

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:30 pm

"Go, Fishy, it's your birthday..."

Not that I have any idea what that actually means, I just know it was de rigoure when you got something right a few years back.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby BBadger » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Doctor's suggestions are still probably good for your van, especially the modified springs; for the roof stuff, you would of course need to have people help load/unload things for you at home and on the playa. The stuff on the roof could also just be light weight stuff that could fit into one of those aerodynamic roof containers, not heavy stuff that might affect the weighting of the van or wind characteristics very much.

BBadger

Postby Sail Man » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:16 pm

Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:05 pm

Need more info on the spatial constraints wrt the vertical dimension. Length of the interior and length of the carport struts would help. And please post a link to a photo of your van, or something similar. Maybe the tonnage capacity, too.

What I had in mind re: an interior rack was to attach two or three vertical steel struts to each of the walls, then use those to attach horizontal struts as shelf supports, with eye bolts, carabiners or cleats for attaching bungees or rope to cinch long pieces of gear eg the carport parts securely, hugging the sides and/or the roof of the van. Most hardware stores have slotted steel struts in different lengths that could be used for this (brand names: Boltmaster, Superstrut etc.).

A few well-places rope hooks or cleats in the wall & roof ribs might do the trick w/o the struts, though.

Re: a roof rack, one thing that might be accessible for straight carport or awning struts is a large-diameter PVC tube mounted on a luggage rack or aftermarket roof rack, something like this (access via removable cap @ the rear end):

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:29 am

What's the year, make, model, of the van?

Do you need the back seat?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:27 am

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan.
I don't think that I can get the back seat out of the van; even if I can, I don't know how much space that will open up. Instead of being on legs, it's attached to a carpeted "box".

Bob, I'm just now happy with a roof rack. I don't think anyone at home can decently tied it for me, and it there should be shifting or soemthing when I am on the road, I'm really not sure what I can do... Except let the pipes fall all over the freeway...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:19 am

Like this?

If you don't need the back seat, it and the "box" can come out, freeing up a lot of space.

My niece and I have been going over ideas for a "nest" at the back of her van (same setup as you, only more restricted in what she can do) so that she could live out of the van for the burn by just adding all day shade for the van.

Barring that, without the back seat, could your poles go opposite the ramp door?

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:24 am

How do the back seat and "box" come out?
No. Look at that sketch. I have to get to that side of the van and make a 90s degree turn.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:29 am

The lowered the floor of the van and I'm not sure how far off the road they would be. If it's six to eight inches, I don't think it's a real solution.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:34 am

Most of those vans have a flat deck when their stripped out.

Everything is bolted to that deck, so no matter how it looks, that back seat will leave a flat floor underneath.

How long is the longest pole?

Do you get into the driver seat by boosting yourself between the drivers and passanger seats?

I wish I was closer, I know I could figure this out.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:44 am

I drive it in. My wheelchair becomes the driver's seat. There is no transferring.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:55 am

Length of poles?

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:00 am

I am not in a position to measure them right now.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:10 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Bob, I'm just now happy with a roof rack. I don't think anyone at home can decently tied it for me, and it there should be shifting or soemthing when I am on the road, I'm really not sure what I can do... Except let the pipes fall all over the freeway...

That Caravan should have stock channels on the roof that would accept Thule or Yakima bars. A PVC tube like this...

...could be securely bolted to the rack (I'd use a shop that sells & installs sport racks, and have them install the tube thing). You'd bundle your poles so they'd slip in and out of the tube via a cap on the back end. Plumbers and electricians use these because the front cap automatically keeps 10' conduit from falling on the road when you brake. You'd access it by reaching up from the back seat area, and yanking on a cord attached to the pole bundle.

If you foresee not being able to reach that high, you could strap a similar but shorter PVC tube inside the van at the roof level to stow the carport struts. Use a cap or plug securely glued in at the front end of the tube, and a loose cap or wadded sweatshirt at the back end. Or just tie the pole bundle up to hooks on the van ribs per my previous post.

Or just spend the money on a better tent like a Springbar and toss an aluminet tarp over it. Mesh tarps can be propped up using military surplus sectional poles w/ spreaders.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:11 pm

BBadger wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Export feature...
Hm.

But what do I save it as?

Photos: JPEG (JPG)
Lossless images (logos, etc.): PNG

Generally save it as the same format of the original file. If in doubt, save as JPEG.

Weeeeeeee! Thank you so much! This is working!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Oldguy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:29 pm

Ski bags on rear hitch carrier for poles, duffles for fabric, backpack for connectors and lines.
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping