BLM Permit: What Does This Mean For Tickets?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

BLM Permit: What Does This Mean For Tickets?

Postby lemur » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:54 pm

Some may already be aware that the BLM has given Burning Man a permit to operate in 2012.

Read about it in this blog post: http://blog.burningman.com/2012/06/news ... r-tickets/ "BRC Gets Green Light from BLM: What does this mean for tickets?"

The population cap for this years permit is is 60,900.

up to this point there have been 57,000 tickets allocated to be sold to the public..

"Maid Marian" Says in her blog post:

For more information about how any additional tickets made available by the new population cap will be distributed to Burners looking for tickets, keep your eyes on the Jackrabbit Speaks Newsletter!

what do you think they will do ?
what do you think they should do ?

I know that some people are already suggesting they go in to STEP, if they do indeed decide on releasing some tickets

This is a place where people can discuss the blog post that was posted on the burning man website about the question of TICKETS related to POPULATION cap.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: BLM Permit: What Does This Mean For Tickets?

Postby Jenifersteppat » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:58 pm

I think they should be careful not to exceed the cap, that being said, if more tickets are distributed they should go into the STEP program - those people have been trying to get tickets since the presale in some cases. Here's hoping!
No matter where you go, there you are.
Jenifersteppat

Burning Since: 2012

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:46 pm

Agreed (on feeding them into STEP). Now that they've got the methodology and the numbers locked in from the BLM they can go about accounting for the support staff accordingly, anything that would be possible to offer would be some number that is lower than 2,900. That's nowhere near enough to feed an open sale for even a minute or two, and would likely just frustrate and anger the tens of thousands who wanted them. If they're able to clear out (or at least seriously dent) the STEP queue and possibly re-open the gates again to help more people who've been waiting so patiently and keeping the faith over the last several months, I think that would be wonderful.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby wraith » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:49 pm

The hilarious part is that most of the folks I know who don't have tickets at this point have already made other plans. I was kindly offered one at face price the other day, and had to turn it down because I'd already invested my BM funds for this year into doing something else.
wraith

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:58 pm

I don't view that as hilarious. I think it's wonderful.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby VultureChow » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Yep. Feed into Step. But I wouldn't announce it in JRS until after the fact. Quietly open the queue to say another 1,000 and let them flow through that. Leave a hard margin of say 1,000 that will not be sold to keep things nice with BLM. Open sale just puts a portion into scalper hands.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Isotopia » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:11 pm

The hilarious part is that most of the folks I know who don't have tickets at this point have already made other plans.

A'yep. Same with many of the people I know. People who know that for years have helped (and contributed) to defining the Man experience but are altogether unwilling to allow the Man define them. Hence the lack of sniveling, wailing and off the hip accusations of conspiracy, incompetency, etc., etc.
Isotopia

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:23 am

Now they're announcing it on the evening news and the news casters are beaming about how much fun it is supposed to be.

Great, it'll be sold out again.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby uncle sticky » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:00 am

Ticket sales are ticket sales, and attendance is another matter. Borg got in trouble for going over the cap, even though the ticket sales were far less than the cap. BLM counts all those folks who don't have tickets but are in anyway, including staffers, construction, etc, so I doubt there are going to be anymore tickets coming.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!
uncle sticky

Postby BBadger » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:18 pm

I just hope some dust-hell videos surface from this coming year's BM. Visibility at 3ft, storms at 90mph, sparkleponies not so sparkley, maybe even a few deaths...
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:59 pm

BBadger wrote:I just hope some dust-hell videos surface from this coming year's BM. Visibility at 3ft, storms at 90mph, sparkleponies not so sparkley, maybe even a few deaths...

This is the propaganda that we need. :twisted:
Ugly Dougly

Postby VultureChow » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:15 pm

BBadger wrote:I just hope some dust-hell videos surface from this coming year's BM. Visibility at 3ft, storms at 90mph, sparkleponies not so sparkley, maybe even a few deaths...

I'm envisioning a Blair Witch style video of dust covered ponies huddled into a partially collapsed coleman tent crying as the wind whips around them and they pick shards of shattered disco ball out of each other's feet.
VultureChow

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:05 pm

It'll be interesting to see - not just if/how bad the weather may get, but how well it gets chronicled. Remember, the dust in the air is gozer the destroyer to all that fancy gear, unless you've got suitable protection for it.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby vargaso » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:16 pm

Eh, it ain't that tough even in dust storms. Fancy equipment? Most YouTube videos are shot on point-and-shoots. A nice strong storm will be somewhat shocking to 2011 virgins, just as it was to us during our first storms. Then the sky will clear, they'll look around and see people emerging from tents and RVs, the usual primal screams of joy will erupt, and they'll be struck with the thought, "Holy shit, this is the fucking BEST!!!" And voila, a lifer is born.
Last edited by vargaso on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby BBadger » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:19 pm

Hmm, I need to find myself some air-raid sirens...
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby Savior69 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:28 pm

The event last year was the perfect storm of not having any storms. i kept telling newbies, to no avail, that the fun they were having is usually paid in the price of whiteout brutality.
BM Pictures: www.pbase.com/1969
Savior69

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:35 pm

@vargaso - true, though the alkali dust isn't good for point and shoots either. Historically not much shooting on the playa happens during dust storms (if you look at just what's online, you'd think the weather was fantastic the majority of the time every year), we'll see if that changes this year.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:36 pm

everyone saw it.

it's going to be your fault.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:

This is the propaganda that we need. :twisted:

Agreed. Last year's weather was far far too nice. A little hardship will do wonders for weeding out the weak partiers.
:twisted:

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby VultureChow » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:56 pm

trilobyte wrote:@vargaso - true, though the alkali dust isn't good for point and shoots either. Historically not much shooting on the playa happens during dust storms (if you look at just what's online, you'd think the weather was fantastic the majority of the time every year), we'll see if that changes this year.

I assume a simple waterproof housing would be sufficient for most users. I have one that I use for diving. It's only rated to 30 feet, so I'm limited to certain dive sites, but that wouldn't be an issue for this use.
VultureChow

Postby Sail Man » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:58 pm

capjbadger wrote:Agreed. Last year's weather was far far too nice. A little hardship will do wonders for weeding out the weak partiers.

Badger

First year we had a dust storm all day and the rest of the week was pretty nice. We watched another couple struggle to set up their shelter, and then bail. Missed a great rest of the week. Well, except for some rain the last night :roll:

:mrgreen:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:13 pm

Sail Man wrote:
capjbadger wrote:Agreed. Last year's weather was far far too nice. A little hardship will do wonders for weeding out the weak partiers.

Badger

First year we had a dust storm all day and the rest of the week was pretty nice. We watched another couple struggle to set up their shelter, and then bail. Missed a great rest of the week. Well, except for some rain the last night :roll:

:mrgreen:

Yeah, that Monday rainstorm delayed us getting the lamps out that evening a bit since we weren't allowed to move any vehicles.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:55 pm

VultureChow wrote:

I'm envisioning a Blair Witch style video of dust covered ponies huddled into a partially collapsed coleman tent crying as the wind whips around them and they pick shards of shattered disco ball out of each other's feet.

Swoons.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Marscrumbs » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:11 pm

Add this to the tickets the scalpers will now be dumping. Wow!
Marscrumbs

Postby kiss-o-matic » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:16 pm

Marscrumbs wrote:Add this to the tickets the scalpers will now be dumping. Wow!

Price already seems to be going own a bit on Ebay... at least from what I've been watching. And there's not that many that are being posted. If another couple thousand were put into circulation that would likely help.
kiss-o-matic

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:20 pm

lulz. Ebay auctions for non-existent objects.

Hey.. I've got some beachfront property in Colorado, too. I can make up an ebay listing for that as well if you'd like..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby kiss-o-matic » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:22 pm

junglesmacks wrote:lulz. Ebay auctions for non-existent objects.

Hey.. I've got some beachfront property in Colorado, too. I can make up an ebay listing for that as well if you'd like..

Hmmm... yeah... even you explained they are futures contracts. Why are these any different than futures that are traded on every single stock exchange every single day?

For your beach front property, can I pay with something that will surely give me my money back at the first sign of you flaking? Maybe even give me my money back if you don't flake? I'm not saying everyone on Ebay selling tickets is on the up & up, but the system is slanted so far in the buyers corner you'd be a moron to try to screw someone through it. Well, willing to roll the dice anyway. CL is way better for those shenanigans.

Long story short: they are (probably) transactions, and the prices are recorded & public. I'm sure tons of tickets are trading hands at face value or there abouts... but they're not recorded, and I'll venture to say they're trading amongst acquaintances at best too. Doesn't help most of us.
kiss-o-matic

Postby BBadger » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:51 pm

If you want to defraud someone on Ebay just make sure you have delivery confirmation.

"See? The tickets were delivered."

"But the box was empty!"

"No, you just took the tickets out and are claiming it's empty!"

"No! It really was empty! You didn't send any tickets!"

"That is false, and you can't prove otherwise!"

Oh and I just love the Stubhub guarantee that they'll refund your ticket money if the seller doesn't come through and they can't find a replacement: a refund sure isn't going to help you go to Burning Man! Imagine if they "wait" to send it out until some time in August, you know, so they can try and actually find a ticket they'll send. Worth the risk when you're talking those prices.

BBadger

Postby kiss-o-matic » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:44 pm

As an online seller that uses Paypal, I can assure you 99% of the time the buyer is going to win the argument w/ Paypal... package tracking or not. It is the nature of their business. Happy Buyers = Everyone wins! (except sellers). Not saying buyers don't get screwed, but it's far less common. I do see some sellers offering to put the tickets into Will Call in the buyers name. Surely that is a "true" ticket sale, and not a futures transaction, no?
kiss-o-matic

Postby ZaphodBurner » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:20 am

They should at least put a few hundred in STEP.

By the way, good luck everybody! Our group found the last ticket we needed (from a lottery-winner who was holding on to an extra ticket), so that's eight people toward the front of the STEP line who are jumping out.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Next

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion