Show us your cup (drinking)

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
Gonzo Frothwood

Re: Show us your cup (drinking)

Post by Gonzo Frothwood » Tue May 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Last year I lost my cup soon after the event started. I then found during my travels 14 cups as moop.
The playa provides.
Consider this in your expenditures.

Suggestion: bring a brita pitcher for running cooler water thru for drinking. People have a bad habit of dipping their hands into the ice for their beverages.
"There is nothing so over-estimated as a piece of ass, and nothing so under-estimated as a good and greasy shit." Boneman Johnson

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Tue May 29, 2012 6:22 pm

I have a Home Despot mug that I've brought out since 1999. Yes it has advertising, but it was my first year and it's been with me every year all this time. It has "city miles" on it and scoring. My other mug is a gallon water jug w a screw on cap.
Last year I was interviewing a potty truck driver while he was working that units, and there was a cool aluminum water jug in his moop sack. I asked him for it, and he handed it over. JOTS MOOP SCHWAG! It's hanging on my wall.

FeetOfClay
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Post by FeetOfClay » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:30 pm

I do not drink alcohol--is it still essential to bring a cup with me when visiting other camps?

Do camps tend to offer non-alc. beverages (coconut water, juice, etc?)

I bought a collapsible silicon cup to carry in my bag...just wondering if the "bring a cup everywhere" rule applies to mainly booze drinkers?
What is this quintessence of dust?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:08 pm

It mainly applies to "bar-type" situations. If you're hanging out in the shade structure with some people you know from the playa or from the outer world and the offer you food and drink--actually, having your own cup and plate and cutlery might be a nice gesture...
Bars and food camps don't want to get into washing dishes thing, because then they'll need to go through more of an inspection from the county health department. They don't want to give you disposables, because they will become moop. So bringing your own cup can make the difference between getting a drink and not. This is true even if you're not drinking alcoho
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:09 pm

A cup is handy for lots of stuff.

I carry a plate and bowl too.

You never know when someone will offer a tasty treat.

I was on my way to get ice one morning and there were two people standing beside the road offering breakfast.

Best omlette and fresh blueberries I ever had.

Sooooooo, yes! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Elorrum » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Gonzo Frothwood wrote:Suggestion: bring a brita pitcher for running cooler water thru for drinking. People have a bad habit of dipping their hands into the ice for their beverages.
I don't think this does anything for germs... the stuff people have on their hands after the potty in particular. I would't suggest it, but maybe I don't know enough. I thought it was just charcoal for flavor and sediment and not a fine fine fine filter like a real back country drinking water filter has for viruses and parasites.
”On second thought, Let’s not go to Camelot. It’s a silly place.”
Roll on through, Tumbleweed.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:17 pm

It is a very good idea to have a cup on you at all times. Imagine you run out of water and ask for some... Then you have to ask for a cup. Then you have to endure.... WHAT? You don't have a cup?

Most bars and camps offer/have non alcoholic beverages and I'm sure many would jump at the chance to fulfill a non alcoholic request. Probably better to make the request to someone who is nearly as sober as you.

Bring a cup applies to all burners and is a primary way of demonstrating Radical Self Reliance to the rest of the community. Bringing your own cup shows respect for other participants, natural resources and event tradition.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. Crow Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

catinthefunnyhat

Post by catinthefunnyhat » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:18 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:alcoho
Best typo ever.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2025

Post by Savannah » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:41 pm

catinthefunnyhat wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:alcoho
Best typo ever.
We need t-shirts. :lol:
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

cpart
Burning Since: 2010

Post by cpart » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:22 pm

This year, I'm going with a plastic version of this. Probably gold-plated (painted)

Fufa
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Fufa » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:03 pm

In addition to my alcatrez cup I already mentioned, I now got myself and the mister collapsible camping cups. They're twice the size of a coffee mug, so can double as impromptu bowls. They also have a screw on lid, and can be used as measuring cups because they have volumes marked on the inside. Bonus: they were on sale!

eLPea
Burning Since: 2009

Post by eLPea » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:05 pm

I'm intro straws. My first playa cup was a crappy $1 craft store cup with a built in straw. I melted a hole near the top, hooked a carabiner through, it was great for holding a nice big mixed drink. The open top, no insulation, and straw feeding directly from the bottom made for dusty lukewarm drinks in no time at all, but I wasn't complaining. I upgraded to a simple large tin up last year, but I was missing my straw. When some kid came by with crazy straws stuck in the brim of his cowboy hat, I was elated. While all of my campmates respectfully declined (I'm sure their moop alarm was going off), I used that damn pink krazy straw the rest of the week gleefully.

Well, I think I finally found my ultimate solution. Top? Check. Straw? Check. Insulated? Check.

During a brief stint I had working at Corproate Coffee, USA I picked up one of their holiday-themed reusable cold cups. A little steel wool took the logo right off, and I'm left with a great plain cup. The straw even has a little bump out on one end which keeps it secured inside the cup.

cordsally
Burning Since: 1986

Post by cordsally » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:53 pm

FIGJAM wrote:A cup is handy for lots of stuff.

I carry a plate and bowl too.

You never know when someone will offer a tasty treat.

I was on my way to get ice one morning and there were two people standing beside the road offering breakfast.

Best omlette and fresh blueberries I ever had.

Sooooooo, yes! 8)
This fill my mouth with water....................feeling hungry............. :wink:

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:55 am

motskyroonmatick wrote:It is a very good idea to have a cup on you at all times. Imagine you run out of water and ask for some... Then you have to ask for a cup. Then you have to endure.... WHAT? You don't have a cup?

Most bars and camps offer/have non alcoholic beverages and I'm sure many would jump at the chance to fulfill a non alcoholic request. Probably better to make the request to someone who is nearly as sober as you.

Bring a cup applies to all burners and is a primary way of demonstrating Radical Self Reliance to the rest of the community. Bringing your own cup shows respect for other participants, natural resources and event tradition.
I nominate these 3 paragraphs to be on the cover page of the Survival guide!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

tahiti_treat
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Post by tahiti_treat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:37 pm

I had 2 last year - an insulated Bubba mug that I used in camp and this little guy for on-the-go:
AAAAC0rvWosAAAAAAbx5NQ.jpg
It's suppose to be a dry snack lunch box container. I had intended to use the larger Bubba as my main mug and just had this one as a spare, but I found I preferred toting and drinking out of the smaller cup. It holds a folding spoon as well. I replaced the plastic ring with a sturdier carabiner and hung it to the outside of my pack.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brcprincess

Post by brcprincess » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:30 am

I like the look of this $22 one on Amazon, gets great reviews too. Larger size means you can mix up a cocktail and take it out with you. Insulated and has a clip on.

Thermos Nissan JMQ400 14-Ounce Leak-Proof Insulated Travel Mug

Jared

Post by Jared » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:31 pm

I know you want to keep dust off your water bag valve, but is dust on your cup's mouthpiece an issue? The Stanley 1913 One-Hand Vacuum Mug has a "grit guard":

Hoolie
Burning Since: 2000

Post by Hoolie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:58 pm

holy_grail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:15 pm

Jared wrote:I know you want to keep dust off your water bag valve, but is dust on your cup's mouthpiece an issue? The Stanley 1913 One-Hand Vacuum Mug has a "grit guard"
Cute, but too high tech for me. (I can tell by all the adjectives in the name.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Sunny D
Camp Name: Pour Decisions Winery

Post by Sunny D » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:40 pm

Pour Decisions Winery 3:15+E

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:10 pm

Dollar Store cup. Unscrewed the clear plastic from the cup part. removed original graphics paper...cut out my own art in the same shape and size..put in and reassembled.

anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:12 pm

This is my cup. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My cup is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My cup, without me, is moop. Without my cup, I am moop. I must fill my cup true. I must drink faster than my enemy who is trying to outdrink me. I must outdrink him before he outdrinks me. I will...

My cup and myself know that what counts in this burn is not the cocktails we drink, the noise of our slurping, or the belches we make. We know that it is the gulps that count. We will gulp…

My cup is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its lid and its straw. I will keep my cup clean and ready, even as I am filthy and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before the Man, I swear this creed. My cup and myself are the defenders of my intoxication. We are the masters of our sobriety. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until the Man burns and there are no sparkle ponies, but peace!

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:29 pm

FeetOfClay wrote:I do not drink alcohol--is it still essential to bring a cup with me when visiting other camps?

Do camps tend to offer non-alc. beverages (coconut water, juice, etc?)

I bought a collapsible silicon cup to carry in my bag...just wondering if the "bring a cup everywhere" rule applies to mainly booze drinkers?
There are several camps that serve coffee or tea.

I use a generic travel mug.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.

JovReef
Camp Name: Coon and Friends

Post by JovReef » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:06 pm

How about an edible bacon cup for you carnivores? (hope the link works)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fb ... =1&theater
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. - Sir Winston Churchill

MikeGyver
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by MikeGyver » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:08 pm

Cup 1, Main drink cup

Cup 2, in case cup 1 gets lost

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:59 pm

woot!

got a new cup..

its fancy!

it has two openings!!

one like a regular water bottle.. and then the big fat wide mouth for when you want a MEGA CHUG of booze. $7!

Don't link to anything here!

Cabal
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Biggest little camp

Post by Cabal » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:16 pm

From Reno. What better cup then a Crawl cup that changes colors!

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:28 am

i couldnt survive burning man with a cup that has no lid and no way to attach it to a thing that hangs off my belt/bag
Don't link to anything here!

NakedLens
Camp Name: Camp Journeylizm

Post by NakedLens » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:47 am

Secure cap, wide mouth, carabiner loop, and the ball is great for mixing drinks.

Asquared

Post by Asquared » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:55 am

this guy is designed for microwaving soup, but it was $1 and the lid clips on...

"Settle down you two and play nice - or no dubstep for either." mdmf007
"Just look for camp 'Bad Mother Fucker' and ask for Jules." Supafly_fresh

Return to “Food & Drink”