Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Post by TomServo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:14 am

What do you call a DJ without a girlfriend?

Homeless.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

cpart
Burning Since: 2010

Post by cpart » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:31 pm

I wasn't saying that either should get a ticket. Maybe someone is just paying for hers and she didn't know it.

cpart

Post by cpart » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:34 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:wow, i've never witnessed somebody shooting his own foot on-line..

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

wh..sh

Post by wh..sh » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:37 pm

cpart wrote:Image
ROFLMAO!!! That gif is awesome!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:40 pm

i hate to admit i have to concur.

it's how i picture YGGY on MDMA.
Frida Be You & Me

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:25 pm

And, another subject that has had the crap beat out of it....

Zombie Thread. Die thread, die!!!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

organizedchaos

Post by organizedchaos » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Oh god, you guys are especially funny today. I had to stifle a giggle at my desk.
The answer is never no.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Um, because fire spinning involves some small degree of talent?

Rice

Post by Rice » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:16 pm

Isotopia wrote:

Um, because fire spinning involves some small degree of talent?
I tip my hat in agreement... 101%
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:32 pm

See, I was thinking it had something to do with the organization into conclaves, as a form of proto-union, meant better working conditions...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:38 pm

I have given some thought to the fact that DJs have had a good deal to do with the existence of newly manufactured vinyl records. And that many of them say that they are making great music. I think that record companies could enhance and provide greater opportunity for DJs to make really great music by manufacturing records that are not prerecorded. :)
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:56 pm

careful villagers, your pitchforks make you look ugly....

not to mention frankenstein is not a monster.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

happydragon
Camp Name: Camp Thunder Spoon

Post by happydragon » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:46 pm

Ask and ye shall receive.

gyre wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:wow, i've never witnessed somebody shooting his own foot on-line.

theres a first for everything i guess.

pass the popcorn, JS...
Everything is on video, Simon.
Can probably find that one too.

The answer is most people don't want djs to attend.

LegendZero

Post by LegendZero » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:21 pm

*A man in an impeccably tailored white suit with red narrow tie, glossy black shoes and hair, and strides calmly and with purpose out of the ether. He places a black briefcase as black as night upon the table in front him and opens it to withdraw a paper which he reads aloud*

I am the Devils advocate, I was summoned here because a question was repeatedly dismissed without being addressed. Let us begin.

Breaking down *looks at paper* Mr. Cpart's question titled "Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?"
It seems that my client was clearly asking why fire art performance has a higher value to the event than musical art performance.

to answer this question we will create a framework that allows for logical debate. Namely the following

Both performers are roughly equal in skill; not the best in the world, but clearly above average such that you would enjoy their performance and be able to appreciate the skill.
The dj will be assumed to play music you like, perhaps not exclusively, but some, that way taste in music is not grounds for bias.

Client makes the assertion that Music, such as that played by a DJ is as valueable or more valuable than a fire art performance. As devils advocate I support this argument with my first piece of evidence that a DJ is more interactive of an art than fire performance since you can dance to it with others and more people can be in attendance of a single performance.

As interactivity is a well respected and de facto measure of art's value to the event we stipulate the DJ's are *looks at paper* Far "burnier" than a non-interactive dance that happens to use fire as a prop.

*The advocate places the paper in the open briefcase and awaits a response.*

TomServo
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:04 pm

at least fire spinners spinning is their own
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Rice

Post by Rice » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Fair question.

I have heard some sound camps buy tickets for their DJ's, would that not count as free tickets? since the actual DJ's pay nothing...

I have heard that some Fire Performers get discounted tickets and rumours that a few get free tickets.

I have never seen/heard DJ's being part of the Man burn experience. (Other than the ass-hats with their mobile hearing-damage generators.)

I will admit that I have equal disinterest in both fire performers and dj's. I have not ventured near a sound camp since my first burn and not been near the centre of the city for the Man burn since my first burn either. I do appreciate the skills and beauty that the fire performers I know possess and display. I also appreciate a truly skilled dj. All I am saying here is that neither are critical to my burn experience.

Once could ask "Why do some Theme Camps feel welcoming and others seem judgemental/unwelcoming or just off somehow??" Perhaps I was having a bad day/night or not outgoing enough or maybe not wearing the right costume. In the end, I kept moving and found somewhere else that I did feel comfortable.

I am sure that if fire performers are given tickets, that there is a reason for this. I have never read or seen an official statement to that affect. (eplaya does not really count as an official source (although it has pointed me to a real source more than once).)

Perhaps the more informed have something to say. . . .
Love Rice

cpart

Post by cpart » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:25 am

Box Burner wrote:I have given some thought to the fact that DJs have had a good deal to do with the existence of newly manufactured vinyl records. And that many of them say that they are making great music. I think that record companies could enhance and provide greater opportunity for DJs to make really great music by manufacturing records that are not prerecorded. :)

BURN

cpart

Post by cpart » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:30 am

LegendZero wrote:*A man in an impeccably tailored white suit with red narrow tie, glossy black shoes and hair, and strides calmly and with purpose out of the ether. He places a black briefcase as black as night upon the table in front him and opens it to withdraw a paper which he reads aloud*

I am the Devils advocate, I was summoned here because a question was repeatedly dismissed without being addressed. Let us begin.

Breaking down *looks at paper* Mr. Cpart's question titled "Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?"
It seems that my client was clearly asking why fire art performance has a higher value to the event than musical art performance.

to answer this question we will create a framework that allows for logical debate. Namely the following

Both performers are roughly equal in skill; not the best in the world, but clearly above average such that you would enjoy their performance and be able to appreciate the skill.
The dj will be assumed to play music you like, perhaps not exclusively, but some, that way taste in music is not grounds for bias.

Client makes the assertion that Music, such as that played by a DJ is as valueable or more valuable than a fire art performance. As devils advocate I support this argument with my first piece of evidence that a DJ is more interactive of an art than fire performance since you can dance to it with others and more people can be in attendance of a single performance.

As interactivity is a well respected and de facto measure of art's value to the event we stipulate the DJ's are *looks at paper* Far "burnier" than a non-interactive dance that happens to use fire as a prop.

*The advocate places the paper in the open briefcase and awaits a response.*

cpart

Post by cpart » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:38 am

stretch80 wrote:And, another subject that has had the crap beat out of it....

Zombie Thread. Die thread, die!!!

Inko Gnito
Burning Since: 2011

Post by Inko Gnito » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:06 am

Three times in a row:
right in the feels.gif
I like this guy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:08 am

Dancing as interaction?

There are villages where they will kill an unsatisfactory musician and make a drum from his skin to drive away evil spirits.

That's interaction.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:37 am

well it certainly is a lot more fun, creative and positive than the shit you spew here every day...

if nobody responds to trolls, are they interactive?
Frida Be You & Me

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:47 am

You're always so ironic, Simon.

David M
Burning Since: 2009

Post by David M » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:02 am

This subject may be beaten to death at this point, but as someone who is part of a fire conclave I can try to answer cpart's question.

Crimson Rose who is the managing art director for the event and one of the 6 on the burning man board organizes the fire conclave. Unlike DJ sets the fire conclave is one of the very few happenings on the playa that the organizers have a direct involvement in putting together. Last year upwards of 40 groups from around the country submitted audition videos of 15-20 minutes of choreographed material to be considered by Crimson Rose and her team for consideration to perform in the "great circle". Of those groups about thirty were selected (I may have these numbers slightly wrong). As part of a selected conclave you then have the option of purchasing discounted performer tickets. Each group might receive a few free tickets as well, depending on how many years they have been part of conclave.

The amount of time and effort each group puts into being part of conclave is huge. We have weekly practices for months leading up to the burn. Countless other hours are spent perfecting choreography, costuming, music, etc. etc. Many of the folks in our group also participate in some of the great art, theme camps and music (we have a few DJs in our group) that happen each year on the playa. We're pretty good burners for the most part.

I know not everyone cares about or gets conclave, but to the organizers and performers it is a big deal.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:14 am

You might also want to say that many conclave performers have to make a choice between paying more now and not getting a conclave ticket, or not paying now and then not going because the conclave didn't make the cut...

I won't because I'm just in this thread for the snark.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:38 am

I'll take this bait. :evil:

The conclave is like food on airplanes, a distraction, but it is much better than food on airplanes. It keeps the circus distracted for an unpredictable variable time while the burn crew gets ready. Those performers perform throughout the festival.

DJ's in dance camps provide a club-like environment where people can get into a club-like mindset and sometimes interact in a club-like manner.

Both broadcast the skills and identity of the participant at a distance, which is an essential part of the culture and a tactic in a short lived community of mostly strangers who want to make connections.

DJ's would come with their equipment without free tickets and do. Most fire dancers I know are not wealthy. The event started with fire, not music. There are hundreds-thousands of music festivals, how many fire festivals? So if the org wants to treat fire performers with preference at a fire festival, that's fine with me.

Last edited by some seeing eye on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:42 am

cpart wrote:
Box Burner wrote:I have given some thought to the fact that DJs have had a good deal to do with the existence of newly manufactured vinyl records. And that many of them say that they are making great music. I think that record companies could enhance and provide greater opportunity for DJs to make really great music by manufacturing records that are not prerecorded. :)

BURN
^
Always the correct response.

David M
Burning Since: 2009

Post by David M » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:46 am

theCryptofishist wrote:You might also want to say that many conclave performers have to make a choice between paying more now and not getting a conclave ticket, or not paying now and then not going because the conclave didn't make the cut...

I won't because I'm just in this thread for the snark.

Groups who didn't make the cut last year were giving the option of filling other rolls within the great circle so they could still get a ticket. I don't remember what the plan was for this year for groups who got left out. The ticket sell out has made things more difficult indeed.

Inko Gnito
Burning Since: 2011

Post by Inko Gnito » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:54 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:well it certainly is a lot more fun, creative and positive than the shit you spew here every day...if nobody responds to trolls, are they interactive?
Is Simon talking to a mirror?
Honest self reflection is the right path.
Is there hope for his lost soul?

Roberto Dobbisano

go ahead, poke the monster, Dumb Fuck.

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:56 am

WE KNOW YOU ARE...

but what am i?
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”