Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby TomServo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:14 am

What do you call a DJ without a girlfriend?

Homeless.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby cpart » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:31 pm

I wasn't saying that either should get a ticket. Maybe someone is just paying for hers and she didn't know it.
User avatar
cpart
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:43 am
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby cpart » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:34 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:wow, i've never witnessed somebody shooting his own foot on-line..



I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Image
User avatar
cpart
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:43 am
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby wh..sh » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:37 pm

cpart wrote:Image

ROFLMAO!!! That gif is awesome!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
User avatar
wh..sh
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:40 pm

i hate to admit i have to concur.



it's how i picture YGGY on MDMA.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13851
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby Rice » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:25 pm

And, another subject that has had the crap beat out of it....

Zombie Thread. Die thread, die!!!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Great White North, Saskatchewan, Canada
Burning Since: 2007

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby organizedchaos » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Oh god, you guys are especially funny today. I had to stifle a giggle at my desk.
The answer is never no.
User avatar
organizedchaos
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:41 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby Isotopia » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:13 pm


Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?


Um, because fire spinning involves some small degree of talent?
User avatar
Isotopia
 
Posts: 2813
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:26 am

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby Rice » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:16 pm

Isotopia wrote:

Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?


Um, because fire spinning involves some small degree of talent?


I tip my hat in agreement... 101%
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Great White North, Saskatchewan, Canada
Burning Since: 2007

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:32 pm

See, I was thinking it had something to do with the organization into conclaves, as a form of proto-union, meant better working conditions...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37396
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby Box Burner » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:38 pm

I have given some thought to the fact that DJs have had a good deal to do with the existence of newly manufactured vinyl records. And that many of them say that they are making great music. I think that record companies could enhance and provide greater opportunity for DJs to make really great music by manufacturing records that are not prerecorded. :)
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

.
User avatar
Box Burner
 
Posts: 5761
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 2:33 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:56 pm

careful villagers, your pitchforks make you look ugly....




not to mention frankenstein is not a monster.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13851
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby happydragon » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:46 pm

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7ufT_6Kgy0


gyre wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:wow, i've never witnessed somebody shooting his own foot on-line.


theres a first for everything i guess.



pass the popcorn, JS...

Everything is on video, Simon.
Can probably find that one too.

The answer is most people don't want djs to attend.
User avatar
happydragon
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:53 am
Location: San Diego / New Orleans
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby LegendZero » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:21 pm

*A man in an impeccably tailored white suit with red narrow tie, glossy black shoes and hair, and strides calmly and with purpose out of the ether. He places a black briefcase as black as night upon the table in front him and opens it to withdraw a paper which he reads aloud*

I am the Devils advocate, I was summoned here because a question was repeatedly dismissed without being addressed. Let us begin.

Breaking down *looks at paper* Mr. Cpart's question titled "Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?"
It seems that my client was clearly asking why fire art performance has a higher value to the event than musical art performance.

to answer this question we will create a framework that allows for logical debate. Namely the following

Both performers are roughly equal in skill; not the best in the world, but clearly above average such that you would enjoy their performance and be able to appreciate the skill.
The dj will be assumed to play music you like, perhaps not exclusively, but some, that way taste in music is not grounds for bias.

Client makes the assertion that Music, such as that played by a DJ is as valueable or more valuable than a fire art performance. As devils advocate I support this argument with my first piece of evidence that a DJ is more interactive of an art than fire performance since you can dance to it with others and more people can be in attendance of a single performance.

As interactivity is a well respected and de facto measure of art's value to the event we stipulate the DJ's are *looks at paper* Far "burnier" than a non-interactive dance that happens to use fire as a prop.

*The advocate places the paper in the open briefcase and awaits a response.*
LegendZero
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:21 pm

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby TomServo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:04 pm

at least fire spinners spinning is their own
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Marshalltown, Iowa
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby Rice » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Fair question.

I have heard some sound camps buy tickets for their DJ's, would that not count as free tickets? since the actual DJ's pay nothing...

I have heard that some Fire Performers get discounted tickets and rumours that a few get free tickets.

I have never seen/heard DJ's being part of the Man burn experience. (Other than the ass-hats with their mobile hearing-damage generators.)

I will admit that I have equal disinterest in both fire performers and dj's. I have not ventured near a sound camp since my first burn and not been near the centre of the city for the Man burn since my first burn either. I do appreciate the skills and beauty that the fire performers I know possess and display. I also appreciate a truly skilled dj. All I am saying here is that neither are critical to my burn experience.

Once could ask "Why do some Theme Camps feel welcoming and others seem judgemental/unwelcoming or just off somehow??" Perhaps I was having a bad day/night or not outgoing enough or maybe not wearing the right costume. In the end, I kept moving and found somewhere else that I did feel comfortable.

I am sure that if fire performers are given tickets, that there is a reason for this. I have never read or seen an official statement to that affect. (eplaya does not really count as an official source (although it has pointed me to a real source more than once).)

Perhaps the more informed have something to say. . . .
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Great White North, Saskatchewan, Canada
Burning Since: 2007

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby cpart » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:25 am

Box Burner wrote:I have given some thought to the fact that DJs have had a good deal to do with the existence of newly manufactured vinyl records. And that many of them say that they are making great music. I think that record companies could enhance and provide greater opportunity for DJs to make really great music by manufacturing records that are not prerecorded. :)



BURN
User avatar
cpart
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:43 am
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby cpart » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:30 am

LegendZero wrote:*A man in an impeccably tailored white suit with red narrow tie, glossy black shoes and hair, and strides calmly and with purpose out of the ether. He places a black briefcase as black as night upon the table in front him and opens it to withdraw a paper which he reads aloud*

I am the Devils advocate, I was summoned here because a question was repeatedly dismissed without being addressed. Let us begin.

Breaking down *looks at paper* Mr. Cpart's question titled "Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?"
It seems that my client was clearly asking why fire art performance has a higher value to the event than musical art performance.

to answer this question we will create a framework that allows for logical debate. Namely the following

Both performers are roughly equal in skill; not the best in the world, but clearly above average such that you would enjoy their performance and be able to appreciate the skill.
The dj will be assumed to play music you like, perhaps not exclusively, but some, that way taste in music is not grounds for bias.

Client makes the assertion that Music, such as that played by a DJ is as valueable or more valuable than a fire art performance. As devils advocate I support this argument with my first piece of evidence that a DJ is more interactive of an art than fire performance since you can dance to it with others and more people can be in attendance of a single performance.

As interactivity is a well respected and de facto measure of art's value to the event we stipulate the DJ's are *looks at paper* Far "burnier" than a non-interactive dance that happens to use fire as a prop.

*The advocate places the paper in the open briefcase and awaits a response.*



Image
User avatar
cpart
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:43 am
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby cpart » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:38 am

stretch80 wrote:And, another subject that has had the crap beat out of it....

Zombie Thread. Die thread, die!!!




Image
User avatar
cpart
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:43 am
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby Inko Gnito » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:06 am

Three times in a row:
right in the feels.gif

I like this guy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you see this: "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post." in a post, login and you can see the picture instead.
User avatar
Inko Gnito
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:32 pm
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby gyre » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:08 am

Dancing as interaction?


There are villages where they will kill an unsatisfactory musician and make a drum from his skin to drive away evil spirits.

That's interaction.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:37 am

well it certainly is a lot more fun, creative and positive than the shit you spew here every day...



if nobody responds to trolls, are they interactive?
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13851
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby gyre » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:47 am

You're always so ironic, Simon.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby David M » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:02 am

This subject may be beaten to death at this point, but as someone who is part of a fire conclave I can try to answer cpart's question.

Crimson Rose who is the managing art director for the event and one of the 6 on the burning man board organizes the fire conclave. Unlike DJ sets the fire conclave is one of the very few happenings on the playa that the organizers have a direct involvement in putting together. Last year upwards of 40 groups from around the country submitted audition videos of 15-20 minutes of choreographed material to be considered by Crimson Rose and her team for consideration to perform in the "great circle". Of those groups about thirty were selected (I may have these numbers slightly wrong). As part of a selected conclave you then have the option of purchasing discounted performer tickets. Each group might receive a few free tickets as well, depending on how many years they have been part of conclave.

The amount of time and effort each group puts into being part of conclave is huge. We have weekly practices for months leading up to the burn. Countless other hours are spent perfecting choreography, costuming, music, etc. etc. Many of the folks in our group also participate in some of the great art, theme camps and music (we have a few DJs in our group) that happen each year on the playa. We're pretty good burners for the most part.

I know not everyone cares about or gets conclave, but to the organizers and performers it is a big deal.
David M
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:07 am
Burning Since: 2009

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:14 am

You might also want to say that many conclave performers have to make a choice between paying more now and not getting a conclave ticket, or not paying now and then not going because the conclave didn't make the cut...

I won't because I'm just in this thread for the snark.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37396
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:38 am

I'll take this bait. :evil:

The conclave is like food on airplanes, a distraction, but it is much better than food on airplanes. It keeps the circus distracted for an unpredictable variable time while the burn crew gets ready. Those performers perform throughout the festival.

DJ's in dance camps provide a club-like environment where people can get into a club-like mindset and sometimes interact in a club-like manner.

Both broadcast the skills and identity of the participant at a distance, which is an essential part of the culture and a tactic in a short lived community of mostly strangers who want to make connections.

DJ's would come with their equipment without free tickets and do. Most fire dancers I know are not wealthy. The event started with fire, not music. There are hundreds-thousands of music festivals, how many fire festivals? So if the org wants to treat fire performers with preference at a fire festival, that's fine with me.

Image
Last edited by some seeing eye on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
User avatar
some seeing eye
 
Posts: 992
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 pm
Location: The Oregon
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:42 am

cpart wrote:
Box Burner wrote:I have given some thought to the fact that DJs have had a good deal to do with the existence of newly manufactured vinyl records. And that many of them say that they are making great music. I think that record companies could enhance and provide greater opportunity for DJs to make really great music by manufacturing records that are not prerecorded. :)



BURN


^
Always the correct response.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16308
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby David M » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:46 am

theCryptofishist wrote:You might also want to say that many conclave performers have to make a choice between paying more now and not getting a conclave ticket, or not paying now and then not going because the conclave didn't make the cut...

I won't because I'm just in this thread for the snark.



Groups who didn't make the cut last year were giving the option of filling other rolls within the great circle so they could still get a ticket. I don't remember what the plan was for this year for groups who got left out. The ticket sell out has made things more difficult indeed.
David M
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:07 am
Burning Since: 2009

Re: Why do fire performers get free tickets but DJs don't?

Postby Inko Gnito » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:54 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:well it certainly is a lot more fun, creative and positive than the shit you spew here every day...if nobody responds to trolls, are they interactive?


Is Simon talking to a mirror?
Honest self reflection is the right path.
Is there hope for his lost soul?
If you see this: "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post." in a post, login and you can see the picture instead.
User avatar
Inko Gnito
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:32 pm
Burning Since: 2011

go ahead, poke the monster, Dumb Fuck.

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:56 am

WE KNOW YOU ARE...


but what am i?
one nation, under a groove.
User avatar
Roberto Dobbisano
 
Posts: 2654
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:54 pm
Location: Dobbidossola, Italy.

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests