Car rental And bikes.

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Car rental And bikes.

Postby anestero » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:24 am

Hello, i am trying to plan transportation this year, flying into Reno and renting a car. The issue i ran into are bikes, how do people go about getting bikes to playa, i called a few rentals they dont have bike racks options, do i need to check some specific companies? Or people buy and install racks themselves? Looking for ideas here.

Thanks in advance,
Andrei
anestero

Re: Car rental And bikes.

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:10 am

Get yourself a simple trunk mount rack in Reno. Ship it ahead to REI or WallyWorld.

This and many, many other reasons are why I rent and camp in box trucks, not cars.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby BBadger » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:14 am

Oh, and be prepared to take your bikes down from your trunk at the gate. I swear the cars with bikes on their trunks take longer to search at the gate than the strato-RVs.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Savannah » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:38 am

If you rent a 2-seater cargo van, you can tie/bungee your bikes to the inside walls, and have space enough to sleep in it (either 1 person, or two very friendly people). Cargo vans can also fit the poles for a monkey hut, etc.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:26 pm

All those suggestions are way too much work. A bicycle can easily be completely disassembled down to its spokes and packed into a carry-on sized suitcase...no problemo...oh, be sure to get one with the collapsible wheels.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Return to Transportation