If last year was your first year, take heed!

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: If last year was your first year, take heed!

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:12 am

The people who think it's overbuilding haven't yet experienced a tough year for weather. They'll learn.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Dis)'(rack » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:37 am

trilobyte wrote:The people who think it's overbuilding haven't yet experienced a tough year for weather. They'll learn.

Hopefully not at the expense of their neighbors.

I have heard horror stories of unprepared burners having their unsecured shelters wipe out other people's camps when the shade structures turned into ballistics.

I have experienced a horror story where an entire camp next door was blown the F up, and because they were associated with our camp, ended up staying most of the week under our roof....and sometimes sleeping in our beds when you get back from a long night...and sometimes using our stuff without asking..and sometimes....well I think you get the picture.
You pay your money...you take your chances
Dis)'(rack

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Blue Team Burners

Postby Rice » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:51 am

Dis)'(rack wrote:
trilobyte wrote:The people who think it's overbuilding haven't yet experienced a tough year for weather. They'll learn.

I have heard horror stories of unprepared burners having their unsecured shelters wipe out other people's camps when the shade structures turned into ballistics.

I have experienced a horror story where an entire camp next door was blown the F up, and because they were associated with our camp, ended up staying most of the week under our roof....and sometimes sleeping in our beds when you get back from a long night...and sometimes using our stuff without asking..and sometimes....well I think you get the picture.

My 2nd burn I did not test my shade structure at home. It was a cheap popup, and it literally fell apart as I was putting it up. So, back in the bag it went and I had to rely on friends shade. Which seriously sucked for me, and really pissed them off.

Never, ever, ever will I let that happen again!! I test everything at home, and assume serious winds. Everything is secure, and if it fails it will only be my problem.

You do NOT want to be that camp that fucks other people's burn. Listen to the experience being offered.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Dis)'(rack » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:10 pm

stretch80 wrote:
Dis)'(rack wrote:

My 2nd burn I did not test my shade structure at home. It was a cheap popup, and it literally fell apart as I was putting it up. So, back in the bag it went and I had to rely on friends shade. Which seriously sucked for me, and really pissed them off.

Never, ever, ever will I let that happen again!! I test everything at home, and assume serious winds. Everything is secure, and if it fails it will only be my problem.

You do NOT want to be that camp that fucks other people's burn. Listen to the experience being offered.

Word.

On a more possitive note, some of the folks from that camp have been camp mates since that happened. That was 04. Some folks are not welcome to come back.
Dis)'(rack

Postby Bob » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:58 pm

Cheap tents are all I've ever had, but I use an awning / windbreak around them. Some tents work great with a minimal windbreak. Some people... I knew a driver who who slept in a dumpster all week. Tarp over the top, worked great. Just be sensible, and learn to tie a few knots. Ratchet straps are highly variable in quality these days.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Dis)'(rack » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:05 pm

If the last week was any indication of burn weather, people better be prepared. It blew steady for multiple days straight. No dust because of the nice crusty playa...but a few thousand vehicles will take care of that in no time.
Dis)'(rack

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:12 pm

It's going to be nuts. Prepare for nuts.
100 mph dirt storms that can last 72 hrs.
No shit. This is what the Cafe is designed for. Take heed.
This is not a drill.
RobbiDobbs
13 years of experience with this craziness.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping