Chanteyman available

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Chanteyman available

Postby LittleJack » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:36 pm

A chantey is a maritime song, frequently a work song used on sailing ships of old to coordinate the hauling of a line, the turning of the capstan, or other shipboard work. They generally have choruses that are both easy to learn and to sing, and are led by a Chanteyman (Yes, I know some very fine chantey-women, such as The Johnson Girls, but historically the term has been chanteyman, and is applicable in my case). Broadly speaking they can also include forebitters, which while maritime in nature and theme are not necessarily work songs, as they may not have a chorus, or may not be in a working song rhythm - they're just fun to sing.

With all the ships, boats, and other assorted pleasure craft sailing the open Playa, I thought it might be fun to offer my services as a chanteyman. I assume electronica / house / dubstep / etc. will be played at night, but maybe on an afternoon cruise? I know a good number of chanteys, both clean and dirty. :)
--------
I like my coffee like I like my women: strong, earthy and full bodied!
LittleJack

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hushville

Re: Chanteyman available

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:16 pm

Sounds fun, you may want to consider posting in the artists seeking stages thread.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to 2012 Art & Performance