Plug & Play/Turnkey Camping

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: Plug & Play Camping

Postby Bob » Wed May 16, 2012 9:32 pm

The org funds art. Other people fund art. What's the difference?

The org does media events. Other people do media events. What's the difference?

The org plugs and plays. Other people plug and play. What's the difference?

The Krug thing was brilliant, really. The Town & Country piece looked like an Onion parody of a Temple crew dinner.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 16, 2012 9:34 pm

For what it's worth (not much, alas) I don't like those sorts of art cars. the "party barges". More than half those photos are not very interesting to me.

Now to rinse my broad brush.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lemur » Wed May 16, 2012 9:37 pm

lemur wrote:speaking of plug n play..

shall we post this link again?

[camp advertisement removed by moderator]

oh i guess i was advertising

what i meant to say was

i hear theres this camp that has in some way organized itself in a sort of coalition with ZOO camp, the one mentioned in this blog post: http://blog.burningman.com/2012/05/tenp ... rning-man/

another camp in this apparent coalition or group is the camp PlayaSkool, mentioned in this blog post: http://blog.burningman.com/2012/03/tenp ... rock-city/

it seems in some way these two camps are tied together..with others...and it appears that in some nebulous way these camps are working to provide clients with: "Access to The Best Art Cars on The Playa" and "Unique Camp Activities"

I guess the KRUG thing might let us know what a unique camp activity is.. and i suppose the loud annoying stick car that had "several Ranger interactions regarding noise complaints" is what they mean when referring to the best art cars on the playa..

anyways!!!

sure does look like all the slime collects at the bottom of the drain....
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby lemur » Wed May 16, 2012 9:46 pm

Bob wrote:The org funds art. Other people fund art. What's the difference?

i think that got covered here and in some other thread.. im sure you remember it!

as one person said:

"What the Org does is irrelevant to this discussion"
lemur

Postby moonrise » Wed May 16, 2012 11:30 pm

For the record books viewtopic.php?f=290&t=55226#p826129

Cheyenne, what DID you say in your deleted post? Musta been gooood, LOL! I have nothing but respect for hard working, dedicated long distance burners such as you and yours. You didn't earn the playa name "Archer" for being a slouch, that's for sure. See you in the dust soon, soon....we should chat.

Ok, so the real mess is the Lottery (gasp did I say THAT? yep, I did) and these PnP camps are a distraction tactic from just that, the lottery, yay! NOT!

Hmmm, I'll never make a good pet for any P&P'r, so maybe the P&P'rs can simply over-buy every ticket there is and re-distribute them in order to strike a balance (Oh wait, I am dreaming) maybe the LLC can find a solution to striking a balance (oh wait, must be a nightmare) eh, let's hope the P&P'rs do not add to the already difficult process of obtaining a ticket for everyone in thier camps by over buying the burn. If they were to do so, I am NOT for sale, at any price during the burn (talk to me later).

For as long as I can remeber the burn has always, always been there and buyng a ticket was a non-factor, now look? As if we don't have enough to contend with, now we have to hope some sort of alternative to the lottery (gasp, I said it again?!! yep, I did) can be hashed out. I miss my battered, shattered and now scattered tribes...:(
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Bob » Wed May 16, 2012 11:37 pm

lemur wrote:

i think that got covered here and in some other thread.. im sure you remember it!

as one person said:

Thank you for your comments about Burning Man. We appreciate your interest.

Bob

Postby moonrise » Wed May 16, 2012 11:47 pm

Bob wrote:
lemur wrote:

as one person said:

Thank you for your comments about Burning Man. We appreciate your interest.

Isn't the difference the fact that Burning Man is Larry Harvey's private party? He sells the tickets, his permit, his profits....plug and play is stealing from L.H.!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Bob » Thu May 17, 2012 12:46 am

Larry? Who?

Bob

Postby alt12 » Wed May 30, 2012 1:26 am

BeachBum wrote:I just wanted to reply to a few very previous comments in this thread, and in the main BM blog post, on this topic which talked negatively about the gentleman who organized the P&P camp chronicled by the WSJ article.

Regarding this gentleman, there are very few people whom i respect more. Basically, the next Steve Jobs. His personal stuff is well chronicled, but the audacity of what he has accomplished in a business sense is amazing! He's apparently a long-time burner, previously driving RVs up to the playa himself. The audacity of him taking the couple hundred million he made on Paypal, and, instead of resting on his laurels, he throws absolutely everything into starting two long-shot companies intended to radically change established industries.

His first company, Tesla, intends to make a go of electric cars. Basically, taking on the entire auto industry. And, taking on the FUD PR perception of electric cars that the auto industry sold to the populace, that electric cars will never be viable. The Tesla roadster got them started, and now the Model S will hopefully make them profitable. And hopefully establish the electric car as a viable vehicle. Wow.

His second company, SpaceX, is taking on the entire bureaucratic, cost-plus ridden, government-industrial space complex. The audacity of saying you're going to build rockets at a firm-fixed cost, and then doing so! Their next rocket goes to the International Space Station this month, with about 12 rockets to follow, for only 1.6 billion. Compare that to the bureaucratic cost-plus contracts recently politically awarded to companies in the TX coast, FL space coast, and DC areas to develop semi-new rockets. SpaceX could launch a couple hundred rockets for the same cost of what these new contracts pay for only two rocket launches. Wow.

And, to be the model for Tony Stark (Ironman) in the two movies! I love how the movies portray Tony Stark, how they well capture how everyone looks at him, like he's crazy, both in the personal sense and in the business sense. But, he pulls off unbelievable audacious acts to succeed.

Sorry, i realize this post is a touch off-topic now, but i just wanted to reply to the previous posts mentioning this gentleman. I'm totally against P&P camps, they obliterate the basic principles of radical self-reliance and non-commodification/non-commercialization. As well as take tickets away from us who really care about BRC, in favor of giving tickets to people who just want to attend a cool festival and are not prepared to survive themselves on the nasty playa.

I realize that there is a lot of snark on these threads. Please, trash the P&P concept, it deserves to be snarked out of existence. But, for the persons who snarked this gentleman, ask yourself, "What have you created in your own life which compares to what he has created and the people he has employed in doing so?"

Best wishes.

(BTW, TnT, imho, raffles are cool! Pls just let people know what their percentages of winning are by limiting and disclosing the max number of tickets to be sold. Thus, people can then make their own informed decision on whether to basically donate their money to a good camp or art cause.)

Did you just copy this out of his Wikipedia profile? I personally could give a shit that he was one of several cofounders of yet another dot.com. perhaps in your circle this something to be fawned over and admired and deserving of self-congratulatory sycophanty. On the playa his only contribution has been as a tourist paying others to creat an experience for him. Sorry if you feel criticism of him is off limits purely based on your admiration of him. I can assure you, many others do not. Hopefully, he and his ilk will not return next year....
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:55 pm

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby gyre » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:04 pm

Events with vip seats are, by definition, not worth attending.

If the burn goes too trendy, I'll concierge a camp, then go have fun elsewhere.
gyre

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:40 pm

Something that's awesome about BM, though, and will always be different from other events, is that the "VIP seats" are the worst place to be.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby lemur » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:58 am

gyre wrote:Events with vip seats are, by definition, not worth attending.

If the burn goes too trendy, I'll concierge a camp, then go have fun elsewhere.

do "great circle" laminates count as a VIP seat ? ..you kno.. the things that let you get inside the l3k light perimeter that the plebes sit behind ?

or are we just counting that as a 'gift'
lemur

Postby gyre » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:08 am

That's a question.

I've never thought about it, but I don't go to the burn up close anyway.
gyre

Postby CornMan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:03 am

Just get a few days of wind at BRC like they got at EDC, and that will blow the plug & play sparkle ponies right out of the equation. They can more comfortably stay couped up in their RVs at any of the State Parks that have essentially become trailer parks.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:49 pm

I dunno. they have these people to bring them cocktails and feed them and make sure the shit is drained. I can see them getting very cozy in their rvs and enjoying it.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby CornMan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:11 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I dunno. they have these people to bring them cocktails and feed them and make sure the shit is drained. I can see them getting very cozy in their rvs and enjoying it.

Yeah, I guess so.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby skyhawkecks » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:32 pm

skyhawkecks

Burning Since: 2011

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:35 pm

I don't know that it's a full-fledged camp, but it's hard to tell from a short paragraph and one photo exactly what "all the amenities" means.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Eric » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:32 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I don't know that it's a full-fledged camp, but it's hard to tell from a short paragraph and one photo exactly what "all the amenities" means.

I'm still trying to figure out what "experfince the global event of the year" means.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:44 pm

Obviously a typo. "Experfencing" is actually an exhibition sport in this year's olympics. There will be extensive demos all over the playa this year.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby gyre » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:48 pm

Eric wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out what "experfince the global event of the year" means.

"Burning man is the biggest hippie festival in the world."

- Eric Cartman
gyre

Postby cosmicgiggle » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:13 pm

http://bit.ly/My3BQ6

Um, is this supposed to be slap on the wrist approach that quiets the grumbling community? I'll forgive the typos but the sentiment feels very rushed. I am curious how this will play out...especially when more people are concerned about tickets than theme camps. I am of the opinion that theme camps and the artists who create, reside and graciously share them are the life blood of the event. The whole bigger is better thing though...why is it so hard to see that it's not as sustainable or even necessary? If you think that charging strangers to camp with you in order for your grand idea to be realized is actually beneficial to the community than perhaps you are confused about what the event is all about.

Anywho, I will take a small REAL theme camp of artists over a huge monster "turnkey" camp with its "clients" any day of the short week while the event is happening. Still have my fingers crossed that this year won't be Coachella Man (hologram flames?), though we seem to be on the cusp of subsidizing that mentality...
i expanded my mind so far, that i met it coming back the other way...
cosmicgiggle

Burning Since: 1996

Postby lemur » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:17 pm

just imagine the awesome stuff you could see if you could log in!
lemur

Postby cosmicgiggle » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:41 pm

lemur wrote:just imagine the awesome stuff you could see if you could log in!

I know right? Lions and tigers and bears...oh my!!! Hahaha. :lol:
cosmicgiggle

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:45 pm

root society will be the sparta of sound camps. our camp is going full on desert fight club. we're expecting the end of the world, and plan on surviving it.

seriously.

with our 300, we will destroy David Guetta and afro-Paris at the bottleneck to the entry road.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby cosmicgiggle » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:36 pm

Curious response Simon...you are in a bit of the chapel perilous zone methinks...damned either way. What I mean is that the quality of playa music has never been out and out amazing, with more of a copy cat trendy vibe each year, and now with EDM being the "next-big-thing" suddenly...how does Root Society sidestep the woeful womp womp of bro step and it's ilk?

On a personal note it saddens me that there aren't more musical choices overall, white dj's be running things with an occasional splash of brown skin here and there (if you are lucky lol). Would be nice if the large sound camps paid a bit more attention to that...but just an observation, no need to fall into the "BM is a white thing" convo at this juncture.

Still seen your fb posts needing people to help with your camp and how you are trying to grow 50 to 150 by (ahem) "provisioning for a small fee" (/ahem)... You wanna talk about that and your whole take on this turnkey camp phenomenon? I'm sure enquiring minds would love to know... :wink:
cosmicgiggle

Re: Bitching about music on playa

Postby chromatest » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:15 pm

cosmicgiggle wrote:On a personal note it saddens me that there aren't more musical choices overall, white dj's be running things with an occasional splash of brown skin here and there (if you are lucky lol). Would be nice if the large sound camps paid a bit more attention to that...but just an observation, no need to fall into the "BM is a white thing" convo at this juncture.

This is the attitude that saddens me. As a DJ with dusty white skin, and a lover of more types of music than you (ignore the sweeping generalization), I must say that if YOU want your favorite type of music on the playa, then YOU will need to bring it. Don't complain that you can't drink Heinekin (fuck that shit) when everybody brings Pabst Blue Ribbon (and you didn't bring any at all)!
-"Rip me in half, I'll make love to myself."-
chromatest

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Jail Bate Blow Job (Camp JB BJ)

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:24 pm

sure, no problem.

we ask for 200 in camp dues which covers all food, water, liquor, hand made solar shower for two out of wood, snacks, and for the first time, no special toidies with showers and mirrors and those guys that stand there while you pee with cologne (kidding...KIDDING!!!), just rental JOTS for the camp, just as many other theme camps and villages do. 30 bucks a day is more than fair, we do NOT make a profit, far fucking from it.

we have a very widespread demographic. boston, new york, philly, denver, berlin, paris, brazil you get my drift. It is very difficult for alot of them to carry all they need...i know....believe me i know, i have carried in all i need on my back, but it is a matter of fact that many of the crew cannot, and so this logistical service is done by SOMEONE ELSE whose duty it is to get supplies...no different than many organizations i know of.

as always, all camp members are assigned tasks and build duties, we work quite hard to get everything ready by wednesday.

security assignments go to the ones who volunteer for that, not all people are able or want to.

we moop every morning noon and night, and anyone who has visited the camp in the past remarks on how spotless our area is, almost freakishly so.

we recycle, use evap ponds, etc etc etc...ive been out here for a long time, and have been passing on tips over the years, and each one has been adopted.

our camp founder has been very very generous for many years (2005-2010) and his gift was to give the playa the best in shake your bootie, i think he did a great job. He is a Friend and a Mentor, i will tell you outright where i stand. This year we are coming together to all help and assist and do whatever it is we can to make this happen, and to show our gratitude in a sense, to all that he has done...we're in new territory, out of our comfort zone, but thats ok..

We Love Burning Man. We are a very eclectic group who has grown and transformed over the years, and i dont think anyone can really pin us down with a label, and make it stick....we've had hard core grunge metal shows (which bombed miserably....thanks oooze, you guys rocked....) live reggae, afro-beta, many live dj combinations, and quite as varied as well as "star studded" line up....all djs get treated just like anyone else in our camp....i didnt even know who half of them were for years. I actually got in freq nasty's face first year because i thought he was trying to sneak in the back door...seriously...awkward....

we are collaborating with other camps (ROOTIE BOOTIE PARTY wed at Midnight-3...shameless plug!) and opening up our stage and equipment to new people new sounds. during the day, classes, meetings, unicorn races whatever, will be held, and also pretty much on a first come first serve....again, it's our gift...we come out before, we build this monster (no pun intended, i swear) and then we put on a show every night for people to have fun and we clean up afterward. AND we do it Safely and Professionally, no matter what anyone wants to say, that is a plus...we watch out and take great pains to make sure no one gets hurt, and trust me, with that many guests, on that many substances, this is not an easy task.

and then theres moop.

this year we are going to very pro actively attack that problem as well, because if we dont score green, we suck...

we have to prove ourselves after last years moop map disaster on 10 oclock even though we werent there...it is what it is.

ill be there before and after.

im also responsible for alot of stuff.

i promise playa, to do the best i can to the best of my abilities to help lead root society by example, and show to the rest of the community that large sound camps can contribute to the community in a positive manner, and that we are not the enemy....we've been around since i've been going, except back then rave camp was like 2 miles north, and there were squished hippies in a tent halfway there....thats how you knew you were halfway.

anyway, i digress.

have i answered all of your questions?.

i'm rambling, im sorry, and this took forever, i really dont type that well.

anyway, there you have it, i think you will be surprised by Us, as we tend to always defy expectations which are constantly set higher, and surpass them.

ps...the day beds have been sanitized, squeegeed, and are good to go, i am SO glad i finally upholstered those suckers in industrial roofing grade rubber sheeting...

PSS...one edit...my friend, and brother from another space mother, Sky Walker is the Lead Captain this year,and i for one think that He loves the Dust as much as i do, and will do a helluva Job, as i have worked many hours by his side and have witnessed the Man's integrity first hand. We talk every day, and needless to say, holy shit we have a butt load to do.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:56 pm

oh, one more thing, ms. giggle, you wouldnt have happened to have joined E-Playa on your birthday perchance?

i have a hunch... 8)

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy