dying a springbar :)

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

dying a springbar :)

Postby westnileraven » Wed May 02, 2012 9:26 pm

Ok so I want to color my springbar shade structure to change the light that dapples my tent. It is heavy treated canvas. I've thought about rits, vegetable dyes + salt, but I figure I won't get great penetration. Paint is right out, it will just peel and be nasty. SO my current thought is GIANT SHARPIE. It should stain, not rinse out, and it may yet fuck up the flame retardancy and/or water retardancy. Anybody know something about fabric dyes? I'm a bit out of my element.
westnileraven

Re: dying a springbar :)

Postby Bob » Wed May 02, 2012 9:44 pm

You're asking the wrong people. RTFM, contact the manufacturer, and in the mean time invest in prisms, disco balls and more/better acid.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby westnileraven » Wed May 02, 2012 9:54 pm

Hey Bob, thanks for your reply.
I got shit-loads of prisms, and I did email Kirkhams, thanks. They think I'm weird. Therefore I am asking the right people now. I may dig up some tye-dyers from around here and see what they say also.
My plan is vines and flowers, maybe a koi and maybe some abstract shapes. Pretty cooling shade! When you see it, you will be all jealous and soothed at the same time.
westnileraven

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 02, 2012 9:59 pm

I, too, am pessimistic. I cannot think of a large enough vat to put a canvas tent into. Although, apparently, you don't have to put in something that will be on top of the stove and simmering. Sharpies will take a long time.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby DoctorIknow » Thu May 03, 2012 5:43 am

I believe the "treated canvas" would have to be un-treated to accept dye, at least with any consistency. Untreated canvas can rot during storage.

Maybe try some removable spray paint on a small part of the tent to see if it works?
This stuff used by Hollywood...;

http://www.3dhdgear.com/ProductDetails. ... ode=MP-ROT
DoctorIknow

Postby tamarakay » Thu May 03, 2012 5:52 am

Yes, the treated canvas would be my worry too.
Dharma has some fiber reactive dyes, you could do some reading on those, but generally all dyeing instructions will begin with launder your fabric to remove any preservative chemicals etc etc.

PLUS most dyes have to be heat set. I don't know how easy it would be to iron your canvas, but I don't know of any dryer big enough for it to fit in.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Thu May 03, 2012 7:58 am

westnileraven wrote:Ok so I want to color my springbar shade structure to change the light that dapples my tent. It is heavy treated canvas. I've thought about rits, vegetable dyes + salt, but I figure I won't get great penetration. Paint is right out, it will just peel and be nasty. SO my current thought is GIANT SHARPIE. It should stain, not rinse out, and it may yet fuck up the flame retardancy and/or water retardancy. Anybody know something about fabric dyes? I'm a bit out of my element.

This is the two-cent solution, and maybe you get what you pay for in terms of effectiveness :), but what about affixing a tie-dyed, translucent cloth (tablecloth? bedsheet?) over your tent. Not sure if it would work, but it might be worth experimenting with before taking more extreme measures.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby westnileraven » Sat May 05, 2012 6:47 pm

hmm yeah. must successfully launder. sunlight is probably not enough heat either. hmm hmm. thanks ya'll.
westnileraven

Postby Bob » Sat May 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Curious why you feel the need to ruin something beautiful.

Bob

Postby hotmess » Thu May 10, 2012 8:28 am

I have to agree with Bob. I love the look of my spring bar tent. And after a few years it shows that has been through the ringer and is still standing. Also, at night i love the look of my tent. When inside lying down I can feel the tent breathing with me. I have seen tons of prisms in that bad boy (without the use of sharpies or dyes) :wink:
hotmess

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Kamp Krusty

Postby Whateverwhenever » Fri May 25, 2012 9:29 pm

You could always dy it red with the blood of worthless C&%TS!!!!
Whateverwhenever

Postby BBadger » Sat May 26, 2012 7:11 am

Whateverwhenever wrote:You could always dy it red with the blood of worthless C&%TS!!!!

I was about to take offense when I thought you were writing "cats"... but now I realize your pure motives.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby CornMan » Sat May 26, 2012 8:23 am

Yes, the Springbar tent is beautiful, but there are countless identically beautiful tents out there. This person wants to be a little different. That is what I consider to be the true burning man spirit. I'd try to tie dye it. Is the tent so effectively treated that my son spilling raspberry juice on it wouldn't stain it? Didn't think so. I imagine some high quality dyes will take. If you need heated water, you could put a metal 50 gallon drum on a turkey fryer stove. Maybe the manufacturer could send you a piece of fabric to test your ideas. You can tell them it's needed to repair the tent due to defective canvas. They are based in Utah, so I wouldn't expect enthusiastic cooperation in transforming their product into some freakout creation.

There is a company that will dye your VW bus pop-top fabric. They say that you need to waterproof it after dying because the tie-dye process will remove the waterproofing. You might want to talk with them.

The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby adamrice » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:30 pm

You can re-waterproof a Springbar. I used a product called Aqua-tite to re-treat my ground cloth after camping on top of poison ivy and then washing it. I can't find it on the Springbar website now, but I'm pretty sure that I found this product on their recommendation. I did subsequently camp in a major storm, and the ground cloth came through it as well as could be expected.
adamrice

Postby SquirrelHead » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:01 pm

You could dye some sheets or cloth and then attach it to the tent. That way it looks decorative and it was easy to do.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:19 pm

I wonder if one could paint on a Springbar with red wine.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:41 pm

Fuck, I would have tossed that ground cloth.

Weirdos.

Bob

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:46 pm

:lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby westnileraven » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:25 pm

Hi Bob.[quote]Curious as to why you feel the need to ruin something beautiful[/quote]
Guess you don't get my artistic vision. Curious as to why you feel the need to piss on it.
BTW my springbar isn't solid khaki like a vagabond, it has a khaki roof and a bright blue front. The shade over it has a khaki top, mint sides and bright blue zip-in panels. Meh. Its a weird mix of primaries and institutional colors.

I would have tossed the poison oak ground cloth too, but this is good information about re-sealing.
Zeke! I've met you. Thanks for the link and the ideas.
Whateverwhenever; I'm not going to have my period all over my tent if I can help it. You try it on yours, let me know how it turns out.

It's getting late in the year, so it is probably not going to happen. I have plenty of hippie fabrics, but attaching more fabric will darken the inside rather than changing the color of the sunlight that comes through. My idea was to mimic a grape or wisteria trestle, with green leaves and purple clusters with some kind of stamp or sponge painting. Hmmm another time maybe.
westnileraven

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:18 pm

You want the tent to be as dark inside as the heart of a utah mormon.

How about asking them to make one up in the colors you want?
Didn't realize there was a choice.

There are paints made for canvas.
It's the traditional approach.

There are cloth printing paints and inks for silkscreen, which opens possibilities.

I would use high quality water based paints.
I've used these on canvas with great success.
They seem very permanent, but I never had trouble washing them out, including fluorescent.
gyre

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:37 pm

westnileraven wrote:Hi Bob.
Curious as to why you feel the need to ruin something beautiful

Guess you don't get my artistic vision. Curious as to why you feel the need to piss on it....

<snip>

I recall suggesting that you read the manual and contact the manufacturer. Did you?

Bob

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:50 pm

I'm just wondering where does one get a vat large enough. I bet that thing is heavy soaking wet.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby westnileraven » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:19 pm

Of course I did Bob.
Not far under that suggestion of yours is my reply that I did actually contact the manufacturer, and I do read instructions.
I am aware of the caveats about unsealed canvas and rot and resealing and warranties being void. Valid points, all. Which is why I haven't gone and tried anything hare-brained.
I didn't think you meant I'd ruin the functionality (which I will avoid, even at the cost of my artistic vision), rather that I'd ruin the aesthetic. I'll take your point about ruining the function of the tent with grace, not so much the other.
Silkscreen inks. Worth looking into.
Scraps to play on= best idea yet. I was gonna start with the pole bags :p
westnileraven

Postby mdjgutie » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:05 pm

What was the final verdict? I was going to dye mine just because I look horrid in green and I'm not having it. I started with the pole bag, and just painted some liquid dye on. I saw something on an SCA sites suggesting that.
mdjgutie

Burning Since: 2001

Postby gyre » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:09 pm

Springbar says dying is okay, with caution.

You can re-treat if you need to.

I asked about using my color choice, but long lead time.
Turns out I can afford a springbar, if I don't try to leave town.
gyre

Postby mdjgutie » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks! I guess I'll just continue with the color tests and retreat it after.
mdjgutie

Postby Mojojita » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:09 pm

Acrylic paint on canvas works very well and stays flexible without any flaking or peeling if you add fabric medium. Fabric medium can be found in most craft supply stores but you will have to make them look for it - many sales people are not trained about it and don't even know it exists because management wants them to be selling the much more expensive "fabric" paints.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby mdjgutie » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:44 pm

I have another friend who is going to dye his Kodiak, but with some middleeastern designs, so it goes with his band's theme. This thread has been very helpful. I saw an SCA forum where they painted their tents with dye and let it sit for a while before rinsing off. I did that with the pole bag and was satisfied with the result. No vat needed that way. I'm going to set it up, then paint with the dye, let it dry, then rinse off, and retreat with the water replellant. That's the plan, anyway. We'll see how it goes.
mdjgutie

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:31 pm

Post step-by-step pictures.

Please.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Return to Shelter & Camping