Can you get a BUI/DUI on a bike?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Re: Can you get a BUI/DUI on a bike?

Postby ygmir » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:20 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Too many bicyclests have sticks up their butts, and are so close to being fucking saints in their own mind, that they pay little attention to traffic laws and expect everyone else to make room for them....

you hit it there.........and then they yell because "they have the right of way", even when running a stop sign.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:47 pm

Do <whatever> on a bike and don't cause harm, no prob. Just don't whine if you have to pay the consequences for a clear violation. SF cop got a hard-on for me for no apparent reason and issued a ticket for not having a bike headlamp a half hour before sunset. Ignored it when my mail was screwed up and found my driver's license was suspended because of it. Paid & got it signed off without even having the bike inspected. Whatever, it's the law.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Foxfur » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:55 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Too many bicyclests have sticks up their butts, and are so close to being fucking saints in their own mind, that they pay little attention to traffic laws and expect everyone else to make room for them....

THANK YOU!!!
Sharing the road goes both ways, motherfuckers!
If you are riding on my country road and have six cars backed up behind you, I fully expect your Lance Armstrong wannabe ass to pull over into the first available turnout or drive to let the cars & trucks pass. Anything less is pure assholery.
You have to remember that you are acting in the capacity of an ambassador of all bicyclists and should conduct yourself accordingly.
Do not be surprised when you are showered with insults (or liquids) as the drivers you've pissed off pass you as close as possible at their first opportunity to pass.

Whew! I feel much better with my now empty spleen.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby Rice » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:08 am

As a vehicle driver, I am happy to share the road with cyclists. I said Share. It helps a hell of a lot when I know what you are about to do.

If you are walking beside your bike at an intersection, you are a pedestrian and afforded all of the privileges (like me stopping when you are trying to cross the road). If you are riding your bike, you are a vehicle. Don't expect me to stop for you at a cross walk.

I expect you to obey the rules of the road. If you run a stop sign or a light and I hit you, I will feel bad. That wont stop me from pressing charges for you damaging my vehicle.

I do not yell at cyclists or throw stuff at them. That accomplishes nothing, and is just being an ass-hat.

All I really ask is that you be predictable, that you obey the same rules you expect me to obey and we will be fine.

Oh, by the way, a 5000 pound car will win if it runs into a bicycle.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby delle » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:14 am

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Friday, as I was preparing to turn right at a green light a cyclist flew up on the inside and actually KICKED my car because I hadn't given him a right of way through the light.

Truthfully, I hadn't even seen him till the last second, when he sped up and tried to overtake me just as I was entering the turn.

Idiot.

What really gets my goat was this wasn't some teenager on his bike who didn't know better, but a bedazzled (sponsored and logo'd on every surface) power cyclist who should have known better. These are the ones who insist on riding two or three deep down every road here -- refusing to stop or slow down or modify their rides in any way -- making us all drive pretty much Right On The Centre Line as we go around corners, lest a passle of them be stretched out through our lane right around that bend.

I just know I'm going to hurt one of them one day. And it likely WON'T be my fault. But I'll still have to suffer the experience. How fair is that?
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby gyre » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:18 am

Honestly the bike right of way morons don't live so long.

Nothing to worry about.
gyre

Postby delle » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:37 am

My point exactly, Gyre.

I DO have something to worry about, as I am as likely as another to be the one to have caused the death. And I'm pissed off every day at being put in that position. They really like the long, skinny, winding road I take to work everyday, and I've already had some really close calls around tight corners and over blind hills.

It just seems wrong that I should have to slow to a crawl around every corner....

....or hug the centre line, risking a head-on with another vehicle using the same strategy in the opposite direction...

just so that these guys can ride 2 or 3 deep.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:40 am

Treat um like the suiside bunnies on 447!!!

It ain't your fault!!!!!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:41 pm

Skin is thin. metal will win.

When I commute on bike, I assume I am invisible, and ride accordingly. I follow the road laws that a vehicle is supposed to follow.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby gyre » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:21 pm

I don't.

If I can, I ride on the sidewalk.
gyre

Postby Canoe » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:55 pm

gyre wrote:I don't. If I can, I ride on the sidewalk.

Twice, after midnight, I've been pulled over by esteemed officers and told to get off the road, turn my bicycle's lights off, and ride home on the sidewalk.
They said that: riding at night with lights on while on the road, even such a well lit road, the DUIs may notice the light and instinctively follow it; vs., no lights on the sidewalk, by the time a DUI may notice me, they're safely (safe for me anyway) past me.
Go figure.
Last edited by Canoe on Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby gyre » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:03 pm

Were they blinking?

There is a known phenomenon of people unconsciously veering toward parked cars, worse for police cars with flashing lights.
Worse for the tired and drunk.

Flashers on a bike are a bad idea anyway because they destroy the perception of distance.
Seems like a good idea, but deadly.

Flashers fast enough to blur together are probably fine.
gyre

Postby Canoe » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:07 pm

gyre wrote:Were they blinking?

Never thought of that.
The front white was solid.
The red rears could blink, but I don't remember what they were set to.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby bluesbob » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:04 pm

If you want a BUI...anything may be possible. The playa provides.
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Previous

Return to Transportation