Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Postby Gardenfaerie » Sat May 12, 2012 2:50 pm

Last year I made it to my first Burn with my son. It was totally AWESOME! 12 days of dust and fun with some great people. I lost my hydration pack on the second day (embarrassing!) but got it back from Lost and Found on the fourth day. I can't wait to get back this year! See you on the Playa! 8)
"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more."
Mark Twain
Gardenfaerie

Postby Dust bunny <3 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi there! I'm Davida, hailing from Orlando, Florida. I learned about Burning Man from junglesmacks. I think from the first moment he began telling me... I was hooked. I've been researching, reading and rereading the survival guide(s), practicing the 10 principles and recently got back from Preheat, one of the regional burns in Lakeland. What a huge blessing to be planning my first ever trip to the playa! Can't believe it is happening :) There is much preparation to be done! Anyways, I've been reading alot here but not posting much, so I wanted to say hello, make some introductions and of course, talk bacon. I'm ready to go home <3 It's lovely to meet all of you!
Dust bunny <3

Postby Kitty Dingo » Sun May 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Hello All--

Reading the eplaya threads because I'm realizing it's only about 100 days to the playa. This will be my 8th burn, and each one is better than the last. Really. I am so excited about all the newbies coming out this year! My first burn was ultra amazing and I know I will see that look of amazement in the faces around me. I cannot wait! I'm also a greeter, so I hope to be welcoming some of you personally to BRC.

love and dusty hugs to all,

Kit Dingo

P.S. My best tip for new burners is to carry cards or a sharpie or something to write down the time and place or name of an awesome camp or person, so you can find your way back to them. Also, wipe down your bike seat often. The playa dust can cause an ugly rash when your bare skin is rubbing against a dusty bike seat. Baby powder is good for treating this--lotion seems to make it worse. If your bike seat is covered in fur, just hit it with a towel or something to skake off the surface dust.
Kitty Dingo

Postby Savannah » Sun May 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Welcome to Gardenfaerie, Dustbunny and Kitty Dingo!

Kitty Dingo, I'm also going on my 8th Year + a Greeter. :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Kitty Dingo » Tue May 15, 2012 7:21 am

Wonderful! Can't wait to see you and all the others! I am trying to wrap my mind how Greeters is going to de-virginize all those newcomers. Maybe just bless them with a little playa dust on the forehead? Ideas?
Kitty Dingo

Postby gyre » Tue May 15, 2012 9:34 am

Yes
gyre

Postby Savannah » Tue May 15, 2012 10:55 am

Kitty Dingo wrote:Wonderful! Can't wait to see you and all the others! I am trying to wrap my mind how Greeters is going to de-virginize all those newcomers. Maybe just bless them with a little playa dust on the forehead? Ideas?

Ooh, like Ash Wednesday.

"Dust Monday".
Savannah

Postby Nanahuatl » Sun May 20, 2012 7:09 pm

G'day everybody,

Call me Nelson... anyway, I'm 21, and Australian (Shrimp, barbie, etc), I love art, counterculture, music and life and I'm going to be flying over from Australia and although I know a handful of people in the cities I'm traveling through to get to burning man ( LA, SF, and Reno) I wont know anyone in BRC and it will be my first time.

Understandably I'm a little nervous, but more exited at the scale of the adventure that is set out ahead of me. First time traveling alone but I'm not worried, Just worried that I may volunteer for something I wont want to commit to. You guys know any good theme camps for virgins? Is it worth volunteering If its my first time or should I just go there and roll with it? Feel free to PM me with any good recommendations or hook ups.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll all work itself out.

See you on the playa!
We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.
All art is quite useless.
Nanahuatl

Burning Since: 2012

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 21, 2012 9:14 am

Nanahuatl wrote:(Shrimp, barbie, etc)

Excuse me, were you even born when that movie came out? It doesn't actually matter either way, but I just wonder.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby dodgerdeb » Mon May 21, 2012 12:00 pm

Nanahuatl wrote:G'day everybody,

Call me Nelson... anyway, I'm 21, and Australian (Shrimp, barbie, etc), I love art, counterculture, music and life and I'm going to be flying over from Australia and although I know a handful of people in the cities I'm traveling through to get to burning man ( LA, SF, and Reno) I wont know anyone in BRC and it will be my first time.

Understandably I'm a little nervous, but more exited at the scale of the adventure that is set out ahead of me. First time traveling alone but I'm not worried, Just worried that I may volunteer for something I wont want to commit to. You guys know any good theme camps for virgins? Is it worth volunteering If its my first time or should I just go there and roll with it? Feel free to PM me with any good recommendations or hook ups.

See you on the playa!

Hi I don't post here often but I felt bad because no one responded to you. I work at Artica (the ice line). It's soo much fun. For your first time I suggest you wait until you have a chance to check out all the amazing things on the playa. There are a lot of opportunities to volunteer when you get there. Welcome Home! Come by 6:30 and G (or there abouts) and visit the Battle Born Burners! We have a talent show on thursday! BRC's Got Talent! See ya in the dust!
dodgerdeb

Postby Savannah » Mon May 21, 2012 12:06 pm

dodgerdeb wrote:
Nanahuatl wrote:G'day everybody,

See you on the playa!

Hi I don't post here often but I felt bad because no one responded to you. I work at Artica (the ice line). It's soo much fun. For your first time I suggest you wait until you have a chance to check out all the amazing things on the playa. There are a lot of opportunities to volunteer when you get there. Welcome Home! Come by 6:30 and G (or there abouts) and visit the Battle Born Burners! We have a talent show on thursday! BRC's Got Talent! See ya in the dust!

Don't feel bad, Dodgerdeb! Nelson got a message or two. But you rock, Deb, for stepping forward.

Hi Nelson! Check your messages!

Savannah

Postby xhoosier » Tue May 22, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi, my name is OAK, I have made the wonderful trek to the playa 3 times and can't wait for the 4th. What can I say but that I miss it a lot and love to see my old BM friends and looking forward to making a many new ones this year. The best part of it is not knowing what is going to happen and who you are gong to meet! I am getting excited just talking about it so maybe it is time for my medication....
xhoosier

Burning Since: 2009

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue May 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Welcome to ePlaya, OAK. Don't worry, we love to talk!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Savannah » Tue May 22, 2012 10:01 pm

Xhoosier, please accept this, my most formal, Hello.

(It's covered in cat hair.)

Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 23, 2012 9:34 am

(Well, at least you kept the dog slobber off it.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby bkennedy450 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:55 pm

hi, 66 y.o.straight male, retired chippendale dancer!!! virgin!! actually a former combat corpsman, 35 yrs. in medical field. intelligent red-neck from n.fl., &atheist. love about anything outdoors. a giver, shy, and usually a loner. don't like preachers, politicians, or anyone who is a "crusader" and believes their way is the only one!! starving for intellectual conversation. recent changes have made me decide to do some things i have always wanted to, and dreamed about. never been to mardi gras, or for that matter, even a rock concert. will be at the poly-playa camp. I DESPERATELY WANT TO CHANGE WITH SOMEONE WHO IS GOING ON THE 7 DAY GREEN TORTOISE CRUISE. I AM ON THE 5 DAY CRUISE. WILL GLADLY PAY FOR EXCHANGE TICKET COSTS. PLEASE HELP. I WILL BE RETUNING FROM ALASKA AND WANT TO GO TO S.F. AND SEE MY SON RATHER THAN RETURN HOME FOR 3 DAYS AND THEN FLY OUT TO S.F. billy-bob, wild bill, or smucker lee remember, not dirty thoughts, futile, most likely, but not dirty!!!
bkennedy450

Postby Savannah » Thu May 24, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi bkennedy! Good luck with your desired exchange. (If it's any comfort, I would take the 5 days over no days, hands down.)

You might like this thread if you haven't seen it yet:

Burning Man Tips for Shy People
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45094

Savannah

Postby LaKeynaW » Fri May 25, 2012 10:23 am

Virgin Greetings from one excited lady!
2012 – The year I will finally be able to come home!
I have been waiting for this moment in my life for way too long.
There is something missing from my life. Me.
Hopefully, I will find that yearning for wholeness fulfilled, that feeling I have wanted for so long now.
I’ve been trying to get to Black Rock City for over five years now.
This year I decided that if I was lucky enough to get tickets in the lottery, then I would make every effort to make it happen.
I DID cry at my desk when I received the e-mail confirming my purchase of two tickets.
I yelled out loud at work when a friend of mine called and said she would be my “Burning Man Buddy”. Coming from Pensacola, FL I gotta have a buddy to share this with. Not only for the companionship on the 5000 mile round trip, but to share the experience of Burning Man with someone from the default world that truly appreciates and lives by the Ten Principles every day. Just like me.
And when I saw David Best was coming back to build the Temple of Juno, I knew this IS the year it will happen.
Yes, I have read the First Timers guide, Survival Guide and many of the forums that have helped in so many ways for preparing this older body (but not mind) for this adventure in life.
Do I feel guilty for getting tickets when so many veterans did not? YES.
Do I hope to meet some of those veterans that were lucky enough to get tickets? YES.
Do I hope they will accept me, even though I am a Virgin? YES.
Will I seek out the art and spiritual side of Burning Man? You Betcha!
Will I get tired of hearing dubstep? Probably so. That is what earplugs are for.
Will I take the good with the bad and make this the year that I will be reborn? Of course. The theme is Fertility 2.0 after all.
As the days count down, preparations are getting checked off lists and the excitement builds. I can’t wait to finally come home. Looking forward to seeing all of you in the desert!
LaKeynaW

Postby Savannah » Fri May 25, 2012 11:28 am

Hi LaKeynaW! Congratulations on your chance after 5 years, and the company of a good friend.

Feeling whole is a lot to ask of a first Burn. Let me be so bold as to urge you to instead expect an adventure. Expect weirdness. Expect interesting and arduous things. You will get those for sure. All else is a bonus.

Easy for me to say, right? I had two months to prepare for my first burn. Not 5 years. You must be jumping out of your skin. :D

Savannah

Postby gyre » Fri May 25, 2012 3:10 pm

Reborn?

At least you're ambitious.
gyre

Postby Nanahuatl » Mon May 28, 2012 7:17 pm

Sorry guise,

computer has been on the fritz.

And no haha it came out 5 years before i was born, and the ad which capitalised on PH's fame ran for a few years before and after, and that ad was aimed mainly at Americans so we didn't really know much about the ad campaign till later when we had generations of Americans coming over and being all "G'day, Shrimp on the Barbie mate!", and Aus just being all "Wha mang?" because we dont know what shrimp are. whenever you guys say that to us (its been two decades and i still here that phrase all the time, almost exclusively by people takeing the piss talking to or being talked to by Americans it always makes me smile.

So 6:30 in the evening and thursday evening in three months? TALENT SHOOO?! FUCK YEAH! I'll see you there brah!
We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.
All art is quite useless.
Nanahuatl

Postby lalunastardust » Wed May 30, 2012 9:43 am

Hi, I'm Jessica and I live in Florida. I like yoga and happy things. Never had the opportunity to burn yet, but I want to come home! :)
lalunastardust

Burning Since: 2013

Postby AwesomeSauce » Thu May 31, 2012 10:47 pm

'sup.
AwesomeSauce

Burning Since: 2003

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Thu May 31, 2012 10:51 pm

AwesomeSauce wrote:'sup.

Yo!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:24 am

Welcome aboard, everybody!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ramoslbc » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:27 pm

:D :P FIRST TIMER... INTERESTED IN GOING I LIVE IN CALI>LA LOOKING FOR OTHERS FOR R HEADED. ANY LESBIANS COUPLES SPECIFICALLY?
ramoslbc

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Sham » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:00 pm

Hey Ramoslbc, WELCOME. Tell us a bit about yourself.
I hope you make it to BRC this year.
Sham

Postby Bpositif » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:54 am

Hello dear Burners

Am Bpositif and a Virgin to the Man! Recently retired and looking forward to my first SHOW! I can't believe I really was one of the LUCKY ones to win a ticket.
From Miami but been traveling in Asia for last 6 months and presently traveling in France returning to S Fla late July.
Looking forward to meeting new people, experiencing new thoughts and ideas.

Seeking ride from anywhere in Fla, sharing driving and expenses. Very easy to get along with. Don't smoke but no problems if you do. If interested please reply
Bpositif

Camp Name: polyparadise

Postby lucky420 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:51 am

Hola and hello...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Savannah » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:09 pm

Hey Bpositif!

The rideshare board is here:
http://rideshare.burningman.com/ridesha ... -man-2012/

And the Florida regional lists are here:
http://regionals.burningman.com/us_fl.html

There's also a rideshare desk on the first floor of the Reno airport near the baggage claim where you can get matched up if you fly in, for whatever reason, if your scheduled rideshare doesn't pan out.

One more interesting thread, should you fly:

Costs & Logistics of Flying to Reno
viewtopic.php?t=52826&p=770401

Savannah

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself!