Thank You, Veterans

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: Thank You, Veterans

Postby gyre » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:01 am

jkisha wrote:They definitely had those little legs, but I also don't remember there Chinese lettering.
Lots of details have been wiped away by the years. I can also remember taking them apart and using the C4 for cooking when we were out of heat tabs. Seems like it was easier to get Claymores than heat tabs sometimes!

Cooking with claymores.

Now that's funny, though I have heard of doing that.

The chinese version was a joke.
You would have needed a very good supply sergeant to get those.
gyre

Postby Oldguy » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:38 pm

Instruction on front of claymore mine, " Place this side toward enemy." Best Directions Ever... :!:
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby ygmir » Mon May 28, 2012 9:38 am

bump for Memorial day, too.

My thanks, to all, who gave all, or lost all.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Thecatman » Mon May 28, 2012 4:37 pm

All gave some,

Some gave all
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby maryanimal » Mon May 28, 2012 7:29 pm

To my son Austin:

When you were 18 and out of high school, I worried about the path you were taking. Then one day you came in and told us you were joining the Navy and I was absolutely frightened. You went in on the delayed entry program. Watching you take your oath before they took you away made me and your father cry. They took you to Illinois for your training and when you were done, we came to see you graduate. We were so proud of you, even though you still fought authority! LOL But you had changed into this respectful young man. We had a blast in Chicago!

Your first tour took you to Okinawa, which you called a trip to disneyland. You got yourself in a bit of trouble there and they gave you KP duty! Hehehe Shortly after you got home you and your platoon went to help out with the Hurricane Katrina. You were given the position of leader and you guided your team through the streets and helped remove downed trees, and neighborhood cleanup. All at the age of 20. You told me a woman came out when you were showing the guys how to fix a chainsaw, and gave you $50 to take you all out to lunch that day. The folks there gave you lemonaid and swee tea, and thanked you with all their heart, and it was so hot and humid and you all had to sleep in canvas tents. You said, "There really is Southern hospitality!".

You were getting so strong in your moral beliefs and love of your country. You got married and had our beautiful granddaughter Layla Marie.

9 months later you were on your way to Iraq. Bilad... You were able to stay on base and informed me you were safe. Then I learn through an article in the weekly Inlander that the nickname for the base you were on was called "mortar-ritaville." But you maintained you were safe.

A year later, you went to Kuwait. "It's a gravy job" you told me. And that's all I needed to hear, but knew there was danger. When you came home, well, I won't go into that, but you're sharing the raising of that beautiful litle girl.

You re-upped for 3 years and remained a land lubber!! This year you will be leaving the Navy, the people who fed you, kept you safe and taught you how to be a man. My son, my oldest son, you've grown into this wonderful young man with moral values and love of country. I couldn't be any prouder of you that I am at this moment.

Thank you my son, thank you for serving your country. Thank you for protecting us. And this Memorial Day,we remember the men and women who have served, and the ones who gave their lives for our freedom. Thank you my oldest son, I love you.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Bob » Mon May 28, 2012 7:52 pm

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Thecatman » Mon May 28, 2012 7:56 pm

Thank you MA....for your sacrafice as well!
And all others!
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby AntiM » Tue May 29, 2012 5:50 am

Ah, MA, beautiful.

Gotta love the Navy.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue May 29, 2012 3:20 pm

40th Inf (mech), charlie company
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Eric » Tue May 29, 2012 3:28 pm

Thanks to the veterans indeed- including my lovely, crazy wife & both my parents (one a nice urban Jewish boy, the other a pretty country girl- they never would have met if it wasn't for the 1950's melting pot of the military)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Foxfur » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:22 pm

Bob wrote:Image

The Sunset Division!!!
C 2/218 FA Bn, 41st SIB, 7th ID

AFAICR, the sunset division got its name from the work it did during the Tillamook Burn, one of the largest forest fires in American history. Billions of board feet of timber lost. The smoke was so thick that it looked like sunset at high noon.
I lived for years in the town of Timber, Oregon. Way back up in the hills off Lousignont road one can still see the ghost trunks of trees burned during the massive conflagration.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby ygmir » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:05 pm

*bump* because, we shall never forget.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby maryanimal » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:49 pm

God Bless and infinate thanks for all the men and woman who served our country. To the Greatest Generation: you fought, served your country, and now are leaving us with a legacy of knowing you paved the way for freedom and patriotism for the generations to come. And for all the men and women who are still serving, thank you. Thank you with all my heart.

And to my son Austin, you'll be leaving the Navy after eight years, and I'm still so proud of you my son. You're about to start a new chapter in your life, going to college to continue learning your craft. I'm looking forward to seeing you soon! Love, Mom
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:28 pm

Oh poopie. I served because I liked the color green, guns and blowing things up.
Ugly Dougly

Postby ygmir » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:28 pm

and as he stands.........

a tremble,
unsure steps,
back bent and head drooping.
a cane, to replace his weapon..............

judge not what you see.......this man has seen hell,
he's been there, he's sent others,
and cried,.......... cried real tears.

the blood and smoke,
the screams of agony, the whisper of it's end.......
it comes from foe......it comes from friend.

See this man, now a shadow,
who was once the tiger

Know the man, who went,
who gave and lost so much,
and did it head held high, lions heart thumping to the drum beat of war.

He'll tell you bravery is merely to stay alive.........to give before you recieve
and, know, he speaks from his heart, for he's seen the face of death,
he's danced the spears, and been the last worldly sight of others,
friends, and those whom if not for the whim of another, may have called friend.

Stand aside of his path, lend a hand, and a salute.
Try to understand, the lions heart and mind, are within
Imagine the frustration, living within the earthly shell that remains.
and, if you can, give a smile.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Sail Man » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:27 pm

Salute /
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Bob » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:06 pm

Foxfur wrote:
Bob wrote:Image

The Sunset Division!!!
C 2/218 FA Bn, 41st SIB, 7th ID

AFAICR, the sunset division got its name from the work it did during the Tillamook Burn, one of the largest forest fires in American history. Billions of board feet of timber lost. The smoke was so thick that it looked like sunset at high noon.
I lived for years in the town of Timber, Oregon. Way back up in the hills off Lousignont road one can still see the ghost trunks of trees burned during the massive conflagration.

My mother kept that patch with the Purple Heart & Silver Star sent home. KIA early on in New Guinea -- Bob, my mother's only brother, and my namesake. I've wondered what sunsets looked like to him crossing to the south Pacific, and to her after he transported out.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:49 am

Sorry, I just don't get it. It's hard for me to get all dewy-eyed over Veterans Day.
Am I the only one here who sees outside the box on this?
Ugly Dougly

Postby gyre » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:02 am

On a long thread on another forum, someone posted that they weren't drafted, they took the job for the pay, and they knew the risks.
They did it and now they're done.
And, basically, everyone could fuck off with their sentimentality.

That's the most extreme point of view I've seen expressed.

I know some pmcs regard what they do as being just as patriotic as any service.
I can't help wondering how most of them look at it?

I also know some people that took very dangerous jobs because they thoroughly enjoyed it.
gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:24 am

I wish we were treating teachers and nurses with the same gusto. How about paramedics and sanitation workers too?
And strip club operators? Well, maybe not so much.
Ugly Dougly

Postby ygmir » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:40 am

have you considered, Dougly, it's not about you (the Vet.).........but it makes some of us feel good, to pay respect and honor a certain person or people?
To admire a sacrifice, and acknowledge it?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:02 pm

*sigh*
Yeah.
Ugly Dougly

Postby TomServo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:05 pm

So, its about making people who've not served, feel better about themselves? If we really want to honor vets, stop cutting veterans benefits.

Veterans are only part of the equation. Teachers also make this country great. Or at least they can, if we give them the opportunity!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:23 pm

Or police, Tom. Like it or not, they are indeed fighting for your freedom.

Ygmir, I feel for the people who joined the military out of reckless patriotic sentiments, only to find Big Government eager to throw away their lives on fucking misguided bullshit wars. I guess that we can think of a few in our lifetimes. And we all know vets who have been scarred by that bullshit.

Speaking of fucking misguided bullshit wars, Veterans Day (or Armistice Day) was begun to commemorate the end of the Bullshit War to End All Bullshit Wars, WWI. The government was thrilled to throw away thousands of lives in pointless battles.

Let us celebrate the end of wars, when they do happen, and give our love to everyone who has been affected by these horrors, and be careful not to glorify fruitless sacrifice for uncaring governments.
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:34 pm

I'm pretty much with you, Dougly. However, I am a coward with it and don't bring it up on or near Veteran's Day. (And I prefer to call it Armistice Day, actually.) I tend to look on Veteran's Day and Memorial Day as backwards glorifications of war. Or at least as normalizing it as a good thing. But there are a lot of people on this board, dear friends, who have served and whose family has served who find this day very important, and I don't want to hurt them or argue with them.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:49 pm

well, sure, and the beauty of us as free thinking individuals, is, we can do what we want.
you don't have to glorify war, to give respect to a person who has served. They have many reasons for joining, and I'd submit, all are valid. And, if they are "used" wrongly by their government, I'd propose it does not take away from any heroics on their parts. And, especially in the earlier wars, we were told a very different story, and people were perhaps misled.
It still does not take away, from their sacrifice, and their determination, to to whats right, for their country.
Don't fall into the same pit, that put our brave people, returning from vietnam into, where because we rejected what our government had done, we disrespected the wonderful folks "coming home".
In fact, fuck that!!
These people tried to to what's right, as individuals. and they deserve respect, for it.
They have no input, as to politics and such, that cause the situation. But god damn it, if a person goes out, and risks their life, trying to protect our nation, and everyones rights, they deserve a thank you.
It's personal........you don't have to agree with invading Grenada, to still respect and thank the G.I. who got wounded.
And not to mention the humanitarian missions our military does,too..........people like to overlook when we send ships and people, or whatever,to disasters all over the world, and feed people or save them.....half he time to be spit on once we leave.
The vets that do that work, are every bit as entitled to our respect.

I applaud your willingness to decry war.
I will back your right, to say it.
But I deplore anyones lack of respect, and a small amount of thanks, for those who do shit others don't, or won't. They deserve dignity and respect, for this, IMHO.

I see all sort of "respect our teachers, firemen, police" I see them called heros. And I see it a lot, not just one day or a couple days, per year.
and yup, they deserve it, too..........and as you say, hero's all.
But lets be careful, about diluting "hero"...............it seems everyone wants to be called a hero.
Well, I don't think it fits everyone.
Check definitions. use words correctly.

We see a bunch of stupid fuck leaders, sending their people to kill eachother, and say "WTF"........and rightly so.
But, the pawns, are just that, and for a variety of reasons, are where they are, used as pointed sticks, to hurt the "other guy".
But they are the ones who suffer, they, and their families. Have pity, give respect. They are just doing what they do and trying to do good.
A pat on the back and a "thank you", can go so far, in making a person feel good.
And that's what it's all about, no? Making folks feel good, feel important and noticed, and appreciated for things they've done.
A little of that, would go a long way to helping people live better lives.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Sail Man » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:59 pm

We all joined for different reasons, but we were all just pawns in a game played by the politicians. It still doesnt hurt to say thank you. And yes UD (and TS) as well, there are many many others out there on the front lines that deserve the same thanks. Though you will never catch me thanking my dispatcher, for they are evil creatures from satan's loins ;)

[media]
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:48 pm

ygmir wrote:But they are the ones who suffer, they, and their families. Have pity, give respect. They are just doing what they do and trying to do good.
A pat on the back and a "thank you", can go so far, in making a person feel good.
And that's what it's all about, no? Making folks feel good, feel important and noticed, and appreciated for things they've done.

Wel said, bro. You have my respect, as always.
Never mind my damned moodiness....For anyone who has been to Hell and back, whether they survived it or not, horns high!

Ugly Dougly

Postby Box Burner » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:53 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
ygmir wrote:But they are the ones who suffer, they, and their families. Have pity, give respect. They are just doing what they do and trying to do good.

Wel said, bro. You have my respect, as always.
Never mind my damned moodiness....For anyone who has been to Hell and back, whether they survived it or not, horns high!

Hear, hear, Well said.

Raises horn. To all those who went off to fight for us.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby gyre » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:32 am

gyre

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion