Bee Here Now

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Bee Here Now

Postby trilobyte » Tue May 29, 2012 2:12 pm

From the Burning Blog...

Will Chase wrote:Every year since 2001, the Man has stood atop an elaborate base designed to reflect the spirit of that year’s art theme — and each one has included some kind of interactive element. This year, the art theme is Fertility 2.0, contemplating the tendency of any being or living system to create abundant life.

As such, the Man will be perched atop a dramatic pavilion reminiscent of the Pantheon of ancient Rome, under which will stand an intricate 38′-tall sculpture representing a flower’s pistil. In case your memory of high school biology has eroded as much as ours, pistil (from the Latin pistillum meaning pestle) describes each discrete unit of the gynoecium, a collective term for the reproductive organs of a flower. (Phew … thanks Wikipedia!).

This sculpture will be designed and built by Gregg Fleishman, who created last year’s contemplative and peaceful “Otic Oasis” structure found out in the outer reaches of walk-in camping (and which will return to the same spot this year, we’re happy to report). As with Otic Oasis, a series of stairways and walkways will provide access to a number of platforms, allowing participants the opportunity to climb, explore and enjoy the intricate architectural dynamics of the pistil.

In the spirit of participation, you’re encouraged to discover your inner bee, joining together with others or working solo to create interactive experiences of your own. Break out your best bee costume and inspired creativity and express yourself through bee culture and couture … perhaps coordinate a sunset bee swarm? Play follow the queen? Organize a honey tasting? Conduct a kazoo orchestra in a rendition of “Flight of the Bumblebee”? (It’s all good, but yeah, please don’t actually pollinate the pistil … capice?)

Want to connect with other folks to collaborate in your creativity? We’ve created a special discussion thread on the ePlaya to do just that, or you can of course use Facebook, shout it at some random guy at a bar, or use whatever method works for you … but have at it! Perhaps tapping into your local regional group will be the source of collaborative riches?

For your planning purposes, please note that the structure will be open from Sunday, August 26th at midnight through Friday, August 31st at 9pm(ish), when the Man starts to undergo its preparation for immolation. There will also be limited access during the CORE burn on Thursday night from around 8-10pm.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Bee Here Now

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 31, 2012 2:25 am

Love this picture of DA Bee, taken by Camera Girl
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby disco_duncan » Thu May 31, 2012 9:44 am

Well. I've got the right name :D
Duncan Bee
Warrington, UK.

Burner in 2012 & 2013.
disco_duncan

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Endorphins/Orphans=Endorphans

Postby danibel » Thu May 31, 2012 4:55 pm

I have a "worker bee" costume I can't wait to wear this year. Hard hat and all. ;)
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby nolaflamingo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:14 am

Another costume,to make, WEEEEE!!! I'll BEE buzzing around!!
"If it's Tacky, it's for me!"
nolaflamingo

Re: Bee gone Now

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:26 am

i hate bees.

die bees, die.
Attachments
diebeesdie..jpg
diebeesdie..jpg (43.9 KiB) Viewed 2797 times
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:10 am

Might be funny as hell to show up at the man base dressed as a bee keeper, just sayin'
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:28 am

you wear what you wanna wear and i'll wear my exterminator suit.

Bug Juice Anyone?

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:30 am

one sting and i'm dead in under 12 minutes.

it's either Them or Me.

good thing the Cell Towers and Pesticides are on my side.
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby RamonaBeeMayhem » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:01 am

Hey Happy Beeppl!

We are welcoming you to swarm on over to the BuzzInn, a dHive bar, somewhere behind Center Camp Cafe, living in Silicon Village. We are hosting DJ'ing from 2-4pm Mon-Fri and a chill out set Friday sunrise. We'll be Flash Mobbing to Do the Honey Bee at the beginning of each day's set: ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpyY9_9y9Qw ) Honey'd peppermint mate shall be served. Beetire is required. (Something yellow, something black, antennae, etc, wings optional). Monday 1-2pm will be an antennae making workshop so you can come on over and get your Buzz ON! :) >'='< Bee the change!
RamonaBeeMayhem

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: the BuzzInn/SiliconVillage

Postby cooler » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:16 pm

'Bee Pond' any1? or perhaps a modern twist, like 'Black Bee' http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fv ... 7fRryop0EM
cooler

Burning Since: 2009

Postby nolaflamingo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:45 am

Ohh, let's think outside the hive, create other colored bees costumes beside black & yellow. a bee buzzing around flo limey-green & black stripes tutu, could dance all night too!
Attachments
limey black bee fur.jpg
thinking of working this fabric into a bright buzzey bee vest
limey black bee fur.jpg (69.39 KiB) Viewed 2381 times
"If it's Tacky, it's for me!"
nolaflamingo

Postby lemur » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:57 am

WALLY: So you would all sit together somewhere, and you would play in some way, but what would you actually do?

ANDRE: I'll give you a good example. You see, we worked together for a week in the city.. Of course, Grotowski was there in the city, too, and I heard that every night he conducted something called a beehive, and I loved the sound of this beehive, so a night or two before I grabbed him by the collar and I said: "Listen, about this beehive: you know, I'd kind of like to participate in one. Just instinctively I feel it would be something interesting." And he said: "Well, certainly. In fact, why don't you with your group lead the beehive instead of participating."

Well, you know, Wally, I got very nervous, you know, and I said: "Well, what is a beehive?" He said: "Well, a beehive is at eight o'clock a hundred strangers come into a room." And I said: "Yes?" And he said: "Yes, and whatever happens is a beehive." And I said: "Yes, but what am I supposed to do?" He said: "That's up to you." I said: "No, no! I really don't want to do this. I'll just participate." And he said: "No, no. You lead the beehive!" Well, I was terrified, Wally. I mean, in a way I felt on stage. I did it anyway.

WALLY: God! Well, tell me about it.

ANDRE: You see, there was this song. I have a tape of it. I can play it for you one day. And it's just unbelievably beautiful. You see.. it repeats itself over and over again, and this became our theme song. So, at a certain point, it may have only taken an hour to get there, an hour and a half, the people suddenly exploded! You know, it was like a Jackson Pollock painting, you know, human beings exploded out of this tight little circle that was singing this song, and before I knew it there were two circles dancing, you know. One dancing clockwise, the other dancing counterclockwise, with this thumping, persistent rhythm.

Now, you could easily see, 'cause we're talking about group trance, where the line between something like this and something like Hitler's Nuremberg rallies is in a way a very thin line. Anyway. After about an hour of this wild, hypnotic dancing,... Grotowski said: "If it burns, try to change some little thing in yourself."..

And then at a certain point, hours later, we returned to the singing the song, and that was the end of the beehive.

WALLY: Hunh! God! Well, tell me some of the other things you did with your group.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:25 am

nolaflamingo wrote:Ohh, let's think outside the hive, create other colored bees costumes beside black & yellow. a bee buzzing around flo limey-green & black stripes tutu, could dance all night too!

Yeah!

Some sweat bees look like tiny flies -- black and irridescent green. They are definitely bees, though; you can tell by the segmented body and the antennae. According to Wikipedia, sweat bees can also be red or brown, as well as the usual yellow/black pattern. Lots of the black/green ones spend summer in my little balcony garden in the summer. Oh, and they're called "sweat bees" because they like the taste of human sweat; they crawl around on your skin and lick it off.

Mason bees are even smaller. They're fat and cute Some (most?) of them have the same black/irridescent green colouring. My parents keep "houses" for these guys in their garden.

I don't know what kind of bee this is, but it's beautiful!
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby snoozeberry » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:11 pm

I see a potential to start a swarm. Imagine 50+ human bees all zzzzzz'ing at the same time, zigzagging towards target theme camps. We will mass pinch anyone who gets in our way (if they look willing)! :twisted:
snoozeberry

Postby RedHeaven » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:58 pm

Hopefully our Woodbee unit won't chew through all that man-wood before it burns!!
Thats what Bee said!
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:45 pm

Here's a pic of the scale model of the flower pistil that will be inside the man-base.

Sorry for the less than ideal angle and shot, it's a big model of what looks like a fun climbable structure with lots of seating and four distinct levels. There's a rendering on artist Gregg Fleishman's site that may give you a better idea than my pic.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby vargaso » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:26 am

trilobyte wrote:Here's a pic of the scale model of the flower pistil that will be inside the man-base.

Sorry for the less than ideal angle and shot, it's a big model of what looks like a fun climbable structure with lots of seating and four distinct levels. There's a rendering on artist Gregg Fleishman's site that may give you a better idea than my pic.

Is that the same guy who did the slotted climbable piece way out by walk-in area last year? That was my favorite piece of 2011. Looking forward to climbing on this.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby silkkat813 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:12 am

So is there a massive bee meetup? Maybe a make-shift bar with honey-based alcoholic concoctions?

http://www.barnonedrinks.com/drinks/by_ ... y-545.html

(wishing I caught up on ePlaya earlier. Not sure how quickly I could make a bee costume to add to my collection.)
*taking the long way HOME*
silkkat813

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Return to 2012 Art & Performance