Bikes in San Francisco

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Bikes in San Francisco

Postby Violet<3 » Wed May 30, 2012 5:11 am

Hello Burners!

Im flying from the UK to SF for my second burn. Last year we all bought new bikes from Walmart but we found this to add extra stress due to assembly and it isn't something i wish to repeat.

Can anyone tell me or recommend some where to buy/ rent cheap bikes for the Burn in SF. I won't have the time to collect bikes from Reno as we get the RV Monday and are heading straight to the burn.

Thanks

xxx
Violet<3

Re: Bikes in San Francisco

Postby misfit » Wed May 30, 2012 2:53 pm

craigslist.org ,,, plenty of good cheap burn bikes,,, some with fur. most have not seen the lite of day since last years burn, and may need a bath and oil.
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby Eric » Wed May 30, 2012 3:27 pm

WARNING: there are very very few cheap bikes to be had in SF that close to the Burn! Seriously, this area is Burner Central, and cheap bikes disappear by late July/ early Aug latest (unless you are extremely lucky).

I spent a week in 2010 to find two in my price range ($50-$75ea. tops), and ended up getting the last two available from a place on the Embarcadero that rents & restores bikes, and that was in late July, and I live in SF so getting around wasn't a problem. There were almost none on Craigslist and none in the bike-shops unless you want an actual nice bike, not a playa-bike.

Walmart will be a lot less stressful than trying to find a bike in SF right before you leave for the Burn. Unless you have lots of money to spend of course- we have plenty of bike-shops that can accommodate that at the last minute.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 30, 2012 4:20 pm

I'm wondering if there is some place that will sell cheap bike and put them together.
Or maybe there's someone who can put some together. http://www.taskrabbit.com/ might work.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Wrath » Thu May 31, 2012 12:05 am

Don Rafa's Cyclery. 16th St. between Capp & South Van Ness. In 2008 I picked up a bike there like four days before the city opened.

Place is kinda sketchy and dude was in no mood to bargain, but it worked out last minute. Totally worth a shot if you find yourself here and without your ride.
Wrath

Postby danibel » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Just read this in the JR today:

You might want to grab one or two of these bike deals:

There are three popular bike programs in the Reno area that sell or rent reliable and affordable bikes especially for life on the playa, that are now taking reservations:

Kiwanis Bike Program

If you are in need of a bike close to as well as great for the playa, reserving one from the Kiwanis Bike Program comes highly recommended. Kiwanis has a huge variety of bicycles ranging from $40-$50, and all purchases support the repairs and donation of bikes for at-risk kids in the Reno area. Moreover, if you return your bike to Kiwanis on your way home from the playa, they love it -- they'll refurbish and reuse it! Reserve your bike now as they go fast. The shop is open daily or by appointment during Burning Man to pick up your reserved bike, or to pick out a bike from those still available, before moving on to Black Rock City. For bike reservations and further information, or if you'd like to know more about their programs in northern Nevada, go to www.kiwanisbikes.org

Kiwanis Bike Program
2500 Valley Road, Suite A
Reno, NV 89512
775-846-7146
kiwanisbikes@att.net
www.kiwanisbikes.org

Black Rock Bicycles

Black Rock Bicycles is highly recommended as your transportation headquarters for rentals as well as sales of bikes for the playa. Having a bicycle -- especially a reliable one with comfort and style, with fat tires and a soft seat! -- is a large part of the Burning Man experience and tradition, and is pretty much an essential to your overall enjoyment in Black Rock City. Located in Reno just a few hours from the playa, they offer rentals as well as sell new/used bikes at affordable prices, which have been professionally cared for by experienced bike mechanics (and Burners). Black Rock Bikes also has everything you need to be able to set your bike apart from the rest -- lighting supplies, baskets, bells, locks, and many other items needed to have fun as well as be safe on the playa.
This year, they have plenty of rentals, extended hours, and have moved to a new location. Please check out their website for reservations, pick-up arrangements, and for other details at: www.blackrockbicycles.com

Rat's Bikes

After many years of service to our community, Rat's Bikes returns to offer great used playa bikes for rent to those of us WHO LIVE AT LEAST 1000 MILES from Black Rock City. And especially to those who live overseas, as he likes to take care of those who have to make a very long journey! Best to reserve now while you can, as his supply of bikes is likely to be gone soon. To find out further information or make reservation arrangements, send an email to Rat at: nv_desert_rat@nvbell.net
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:38 pm

The Black Rock Bicycles rentals are almost twice as expensive as the Kiwanis rentals - is there that much of a difference in quality?
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby danibel » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:48 pm

I have no idea. I was just passing the links along in case the OP could arrange a playa pick up, or somehow stop in Reno.

I did notice 3 reviews on the Black Rock Bike site. If I was coming from out of town, I would definitely try to give one of these places a shot. I bring my own trusty pink cruiser every year, but I am lucky. I have the space before, for transport, and for after the burn.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:55 pm

ensimismada wrote:The Black Rock Bicycles rentals are almost twice as expensive as the Kiwanis rentals - is there that much of a difference in quality?

Kiwanis might be volunteer labor.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby gwillen » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:08 am

Last year I bought a bike at Target for $100. More expensive than Walmart, for probably the same crappy bike, but it came preassembled -- just roll it out of the store. (I'm also local, though, so I can amortize the cost by storing the bike through the offseason and using it again.)
gwillen

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Cydonia

Postby Rice » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:15 am

In Fernley there is a Walmart store beside the interstate that has hundreds of bikes assembled and ready for riding. (Of course there are no returns, but walking out of the store with an assembled bike is honestly stress-free!)

That is where I picked up my playa bike last year. I recall it costing about $100.

Trying to arrange for my bike to travel the 3000Km down to BRC more stress than its worth. Since I have a storage spot in Reno, it is now not a problem :)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Return to Transportation