virgin with a ticket

virgin with a ticket

Postby The Toad » Mon May 28, 2012 5:19 pm

Yea so id been hanging out with some old friends i reconnected with who are seasoned burners, art cars etc... they got me interested and i got a ticket but they were skipped in the selection process and now its kinda me on my own... ill be bringing a large pickup and all the basics but am so lost as to know where to camp or how to find people and places once inside, etc...

Just kinda lost and considering not going :(
The Toad

Burning Since: 2012

Re: virgin with a ticket

Postby Savannah » Mon May 28, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi Toad! You'll be given a map and a What/When/Where guide when you come into the event, and you can camp pretty much anywhere that isn't Theme Camp space. There is plenty of room for you, and you will have immediate neighbors pretty much anywhere you camp. When you roll in, introduce yourself and talk to the people around you (always wise) just in case.

You are not required to join a camp (many don't!) If you can set up a tent and shade and stake it soundly with rebar, you're golden. However, there's lots of camps looking for people:

Take a look at the 2012 Theme Camps forum here.
viewforum.php?f=283

This is a good thread in particular: Theme Camps Seeking Participants. It's a bunch of camps posting in one thread.
viewtopic.php?f=283&t=54139

When you see one you like, send email or a Private Message introducing yourself, highlighting your skills, and telling them why their camp philosophy or goals appeal to you. (Make sure they interest you, so that you don't mind pitching in on their mission.)

Being nervous is normal. It's okay. :)

Make sure you read the Survival Guide linked below!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Mon May 28, 2012 6:35 pm

Welcome to ePlaya, The Toad!

I would definitely encourage you to seize the opportunity to participate in Burning Man this year! It will be my first year, too, and I understand why you're feeling daunted.

Here are some things to think about as you make your decision:

1) When your friends first told you about Burning Man, what in particular made you interested in participating? Did you want to spend a vacation with them doing something they were passionate about? Or was it the idea of the art, the freedom, the challenge of the desert and the general carefree craziness? In other words, did you think to yourself "I want to be part of that!" or did you think "If I go, I'll be closer to them as friends because I'll know what they're talking about with all this 'art car' and 'playa' stuff"?

2) While leaving no trace and relying on yourself for a week in the high altitude dusty desert certainly requires a good measure of preparation, when you feel daunted, remember that tens of thousands of people do the Burning Man thing every year and come out alive (and happy!). Make sure you read the survival and the first year guides (http://www.burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/). Poke around the eplaya for TONS of archived hints, tips, and advice. If you have a specific question that you can't find after searching this site or by Googling "eplaya topic_of_interest," don't be afraid to post that question here. I'm constantly amazed at the welcoming support and great advice of the veterans here. Do be prepared for good-natured snark on eplaya, especially if you ask a question that's answered in the guides.

3) Where to camp: You don't have to camp with a village or camp. Plenty of people go solo and enjoy it that way. There is walk-in camping if you carpool out and there is park-in camping everywhere else within the city. Again, read the guides. Also, look here: http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=36767 If you want to be in a group, plenty of camps are actively soliciting participants who fit their themes: http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=54139

4) As far as finding people and places once inside, I have two things to say:

Firstly, you could familiarize yourself with maps of past city layouts (http://www.burningman.com/preparation/maps/11_maps/). Basically, radial streets are number as if on a clock face and circular streets are in alphabetical order. Know this, and suddenly addressed like "4:30 and G" make sense!

Secondly, I have seen many, many posts from veterans cautioning newcomers from worrying about planning and scheduling and sight-seeing all the "must see" art and events. Playa dust is apparently crack and we are all but distractable ferrets in the wind. Basically, there is so much going on that the best schedule is to wander freely and spend time participating in what you enjoy. That may be sipping a cold beer in the shade while receiving a massage, that may be dressing up like a fairy toad princess and dancing under the stars to dubstep, or that may be climbing to the top of the very tallest piece of art you can find and yodeling. Besides, apparently half the events don't occur at the time/place posted anyhow. Be spontaneous and live in the moment!

If, after you do some reading and thinking, you feel that Burning Man isn't the type of place you'd enjoy, then wait a few weeks. Come back with a fresh mind and reconsider. If you still get the feeling it's not for you, then you can pass your ticket into the STEP program or on to a friend.

But if your uncertainty is rooted in "it sounds fun but difficult" rather than "art and parties are fun and all but it'll be lame without my friends," then I say to you right now: if I can do it, so can you! You've got a truck and plenty of time yet - it's going to be great!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Savannah » Mon May 28, 2012 6:57 pm

Forgot to say--you can also click the map here and sign up for your regional mailing lists.

http://regionals.burningman.com/
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby 5280MeV » Mon May 28, 2012 7:47 pm

A senior theorist that I know said that every worthy scientist deals with a level of self-doubt. Does this have anything to do with Burning Man? I dunno, but it sounds good to me.

I think that you will have fun and should go. We need more amphibians.

Welcome to eplaya.
5280MeV

Postby dragonpilot » Tue May 29, 2012 11:43 am

GO.FOR.IT!

It's always fun to travel with someone so post a ride offer here: http://rideshare.burningman.com/ridesha ... -man-2012/

Even if you end up going solo, upon arrival you'll be immediately surrounded by friends...and it also helps to open yourself up...meet your neighbors...offer cookies!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby jkisha » Tue May 29, 2012 5:34 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Drawingablank » Tue May 29, 2012 6:26 pm

welcome.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Onion » Tue May 29, 2012 8:33 pm

From one burgin to another, Welcome to eplaya!
Onion

Camp Name: Dragon Lotus Camp

Postby The Toad » Wed May 30, 2012 10:58 pm

Thanks for all the replies... finding this site hashelped a bunch... :)
The Toad

Postby bluesbob » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:53 pm

I thought I was going alone my first time. Before I even set foot on the playa I connected with several people through ePlaya and other sources. By the time I left the playa I knew dozens. And it seems to increase logarithmically each year.
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Return to Introduce Yourself!