Melting point of Brass?

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Melting point of Brass?

Postby Onion » Sat May 19, 2012 11:25 am

We just received a bunch of broken cymbals from a drummer friend. We are planning on cutting these up and these for accents on the Dragon Lotus effigy. I found out that the melting point of brass is 1710 degrees Fahrenheit. Will this melt in the burn, creating an uncleanable moop disaster? All the information I've found on the web points to the fire temperature being close to borderline. Any experience using this material in an effigy?
Onion

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Dragon Lotus Camp

Re: Melting point of Brass?

Postby Bob » Sat May 19, 2012 1:12 pm

I wouldn't worry about it, if there's an appropriate layer of sand or other burn scar protection under the burn. Worry about people climbing and tagging your shit.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon May 21, 2012 10:43 am

Melting brass is really nasty; don't breathe the fumes.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby some seeing eye » Mon May 21, 2012 11:53 am

The best cymbals will have a higher melting point. Above posters are solid. Suggest contacting the Artery to find other artists melting metal materials at your temperature.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Onion » Tue May 22, 2012 3:57 pm

Thanks for the replies. The CORE projects will all have DG pads for burn scar protection, and I don't think it will melt unless we use a bellows.
Onion

Postby OUtback UFO » Fri May 25, 2012 7:27 pm

An issue with any hot metal is how long is it going to resenate heat after the burning of the rest of the structure. The Scarring of the playa is actually the bisquing of the clay material the playa is made up of. An average fire burns from 1000F to 1500F unless it is being aided by somthing like wind. You could get metling to occur depending on other factors when you burn you work with the brass in it. Other fluxes could be present or material that helps burn the other parts to higer temperatures. For example: When i fire wood kilns, I can reach temps up to 2500F with wood alone if i fire in a specific manner with certain woods. If i get a good breeze the day i am firing hitting the fire ports then it can boost the fuel burn rate and jump the temperature quite fast. If you do have a good layer of sand below you burning work as suggested above then this can help "sponge" up any molten materials. I use sand in the kilns to act in this way when i am using very high flux based clay materials that can melt all over the place it the temp spikes for some reason.
From out of a dream I rode to beyond the Horizon. Got Adventure? The Zen Gear One Meteior Crater surrounded by a lot of roos, emus, Yowies, drop bears and one major flood in the driest desert on Earth... There still was a bottle of red with dinner.
OUtback UFO

Camp Name: Nexicon Portal

Postby Onion » Fri May 25, 2012 8:33 pm

That's some good info, thanks. The BMORG is providing a 3 inch thick pad of decomposed granite for burn scar prevention. Well, they're providing us the material for it, and cleaning it up after the burn.
I'll have to check with the Artery to see if this something they may have more info on.
UFO, If you ever get down to Denver, you can drop by and check out our build
Onion

Postby Bob » Fri May 25, 2012 11:45 pm

The purpose of the sand (ie DG) is so everybody uses the method that's already been approved by the BLM.

Onion, don't invent problems for yourself. People burn stuff. That's what we do. The org has guidelines here -- http://www.burningman.com/environment/resources/burning.html. Tell the art department you've read it and intend to comply with it, and stop worrying.

Bob

Postby OUtback UFO » Mon May 28, 2012 9:37 pm

Bob wrote:The purpose of the sand (ie DG) is so everybody uses the method that's already been approved by the BLM.

Onion, don't invent problems for yourself. People burn stuff. That's what we do. The org has guidelines here -- http://www.burningman.com/environment/resources/burning.html. Tell the art department you've read it and intend to comply with it, and stop worrying.

I agree with Bob on the looking over the burning guidelines to comply with BLM needs...

also PMed you
From out of a dream I rode to beyond the Horizon. Got Adventure? The Zen Gear One Meteior Crater surrounded by a lot of roos, emus, Yowies, drop bears and one major flood in the driest desert on Earth... There still was a bottle of red with dinner.
OUtback UFO

Camp Name: Nexicon Portal

Postby Onion » Tue May 29, 2012 8:48 pm

After hearing some of the replies here, I don't think I have anything to worry about. Our DG pad will be BORG approved and the fire won't get all too hot. I asked because I couldn't find any info about it on the main BM site. They mention aluminum, but not brass.
Onion

Postby Bob » Tue May 29, 2012 9:15 pm

If you present a dry description of the thing, I'd assume they'll get back to you if they have concerns.

Bob

Return to 2012 Art & Performance