the FurTile project

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

the FurTile project

Postby FurTile » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:32 pm

This being my first time to experience an event out at the playa, I'm not all too sure how this project would fit into the whole experience. Having heard and read about Burning Man for so many years I would be the first to admit I've been secretly envious of others how have had the experience. Then upon being told that this year would be the year I would be there I jumped at the chance to share in the journey!

Initial thoughts were to conceive of the grey water recycling project which is still obviously needed and definitely top on the list.
Previous experience with creating nourishment from natural sources already put me ahead of the game (sure makes for healthy gifting).
Having a unique mode of transportation also gives rise to serving a special purpose in the community(s) that will develop out there.

Yet there still seemed as if something was missing...
...enter the FurTile project:

Admittedly, it was the play on words which dawned almost instantaneously upon realizing that the theme for 2012 would be Furtility 2.0, although the animal skin painted ceramic or vinyl version was what was immediately envisioned. Later, while staring at some objects collected over time, these tired eyes fell upon some interlocking foam rubber mats - children’s tiles rescued from the neighbor's trash, conjuring ideas of covering them with leftover material from some long forgotten costume. Thus bore the dream of connecting these meager few tiles with those of other inspired individuals!

Could FurTile be too simple? It’s definitely not original, not really brilliant, difficult or even grand? FurTile is definitely utilitarian, providing a soft place to rest, stretch, or even just to gaze upon. FurTile is portable, gift worthy, and will possibly connect those of different skin color.
There may be several ways to find involvement in the FurTile community. If just by procuring the interlocking rubber mats (the so called tiles) or the faux fur fabric with which to cover said tiles and then creating FurTiles on their own. Or by donating found/bought/bartered materials to those who are willing and crafty enough to create the finished product. Feel free to work independently or to collaborate with whomever and by all means let me know if there is any way I can be of assistance to you.

For those who could possibly use such a comfortable and colorful surface to express themselves upon, feel free to respond.

I humbly present this to anyone who feels inclined. Please feel free to make FurTile your own imagination.

Always at your service,
Alan Sidlo
We have a soft spot for humanity.
FurTile

Re: the FurTile project

Postby Peper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:29 pm

I like it! Love how it bends the name of the art theme. I'm definitely bringing some fur this year for the furpocalypse.

If I was handed one of these and was told that it could be connected to other furtiles I would be on a quest for sure. These work great for decorating inside camp if the quest is over too. It would be cool if they had a sort of "free fur all" status like the green bikes. Great project, man! Thumbs up :)
Peper

Postby ragabashpup » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:58 pm

FurTile wrote:

Could FurTile be too simple? It’s definitely not original, not really brilliant, difficult or even grand? FurTile is definitely utilitarian, providing a soft place to rest, stretch, or even just to gaze upon. FurTile is portable, gift worthy, and will possibly connect those of different skin color.

I have no problem with your idea I just wonder why you specifically mention the above colored text. Everyone is playa colored out there.
Ragabadger don't give a shit.
ragabashpup

Postby FurTile » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:56 am

Thanks Peper and ragabashpup! Your insight is much appreciated. It's inspiring to hear of so many avenues for involvement! It's also interesting to find out just how semantics can play in creating the adventure. LOL, I can just imagine a reply to my response that "I was referring to the plethora of possible animal skin (fur) color." One could say that we're all animals out there. I suppose I could have worded it differently but now that you pointed out the double entandre, I like it even more. This begs to wonder about people's preference in "animal" skin color, real or imaginary. Could this represent their true color(s)? deep down inside? I don't know... what else is faux fox fur for?

Hey! This sounds like a great opportunity to learn. Please let me know what your preference of fur (skin) color(s) real or imagined and we'll see if it can find a way to cover new ground!
FurTile

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:26 am

Not real clear on your concept, but keep in mind that fur on the ground is going to turn into dust- and/or mud-caked fur on the ground, and things glued to other things often turn into potato chips in the desert climate.

That said, I suppose you could turn that trike into a Fur Tile Crescent Roll.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby FurTile » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:40 am

Yes Bob, good point there. Had one not spent a good deal of ones youth bulding fortresses out in the Mojave... one might not be aware just how the dust devils combined the threat of the occasional shower could play havoc with an outdoor installation. Suffice it to say that I do have a strategy in place for both situations or a combination thereof.

The modularity of the tiles will allow them to be quickly removed during inclimate weather and especially for "spot" cleaning one section at a time. Now for the rain/mud issue... don't you think that tacking down some moisture pass-through gardening fabric would do a pretty good job at temporarily keeping the mud at bay? Then strategically placed hook & loop (ie: Velcro) would prevent most of the wind damage. All this being removable therefor serviceable and totally temporary (put away when not used during the hottest times of the day.

I was actually thinking of dressing up the LandSlide as a sleeper snail because people usually can't imagine how well this Organic Engines vehicle can haul off road. Now mud can be a whole other matter.
FurTile

Postby Tragopogon » Fri May 18, 2012 9:15 am

How did you attach the fur to the foam mats? I've rescued a bunch of those "tiles" from the trash and I have a large supply of fake fur just waiting to be used.
Tragopogon

Return to 2012 Art & Performance