Hexayurt Advice Needed

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Hexayurt Advice Needed

Postby BurningLars » Sat May 05, 2012 2:21 am

I'm going to a regional burning event in Texas, so we're not facing most of the conditions of the Playa in Black Rock. The plan is to build the 12' hexayurt. We're including an air conditioner. Please be easy on our beginner status :) Our questions are:

1.) Where exactly would the 6" bi-filament tape be applied (pre-constructed hinges, all of the outside seams, connecting the yurt to the ground tarp, inside seams, etc.)?

2.) Where can 3" bi-filament tape be used?

3.) Where can just foil tape be used?

4.) What tape can be used to tape the inside seams? Can just foil tape be used?

5.) Is it necessary to bevel (cut) the edges of the walls and roof?

6.) This stuff is really flimsy. Will it really hold up? It's 1" R-Max.

The point is saving money as much as possible to not use bi-filament tape as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for any answers to the above questions.

- BurningLars
BurningLars

Re: Hexayurt Advice Needed

Postby trilobyte » Sat May 05, 2012 2:38 am

You may care to check out this thread. There are a few others out there, but I think that one answers just about every conceivable question.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby jkisha » Sat May 05, 2012 9:33 am

Use 6" tape for anything structural. 3" is fine for everything else. 2" is even OK but obviously you don't have much forgiveness for sloppy application.

We like to use metal tape for the edges and for repairs to the panels.

The link above in Trilobyte's post is a must read for first time Yurt builders.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby BurningLars » Thu May 10, 2012 11:00 pm

Thank you all for the reply. That link is more than helpful. The one thing I need clarification on is when you say "structural" would require the 6" bi-filament tape. What do you consider "structural" and not? Moreso, the questions are:

1.) Should 6" filament tape be used for the inside seams as well? Can we get away with 3" filament tape on the inside seams if so? I'm ASSUMING 6" bi-directional filament tape should be used to tape the walls to the floor tarp on both the inside and the outside, correct?

2.) Can foil tape be used in place of bi-directional filament tape in any of the aforementioned places?

Any responses would be appreciated!

- Lars
BurningLars

Postby iamchiefwahoo » Fri May 11, 2012 11:05 am

Go to this site and see the different designs. http://www.appropedia.org/Hexayurt_playa

Built a H15 semi folding last year and it was WAY WAY better than a tent. Had a swamp cooler and it was very nice. This year adding a Dark Room revolving door for Entry (if I can figure how to get it cut down to 6ft).
iamchiefwahoo

Camp Name: Monkey Pirate Pirate Monkey

Postby burner von braun » Sat May 12, 2012 10:53 am

Hi BurningLars, if I recall my hexayurt info correctly...
you will need the six inch tape for the roof seams and the side seams, the structural elements, as jkisha said. Beveling makes for a tighter fit of your seams, and if the gap between panels is lessened enough, I suppose you could go with three inch tape. The whole point is to make sure that the tape gets plenty of purchase on each of the panels you are connecting. The six inch tape allows for some wiggle room in the taping process, and will bridge the gap if you don't bevel. By the time you reinforce three inch tape with additional runs of tape, you probably will not have saved much money. The taping to the floor helps keep it grounded, but mostly acts as a waterproof barrier so rain and wind doesn't get in under the yurt. Be sure to properly anchor your yurt with tie down tape straps, to proper stakes.

Also, be sure you have the correct boards, they really shouldn't be flimsy at all. If you hold one out the long way, it should't bend more than maybe a half an inch or so at eight feet. It is supposed to be rigid foam. This is extremely important. I recall Tuff-R, and SuperTuff-R are good, I'm not sure about R-max, please refer to the threads listed here.

My understanding is that the metal tape is more for fire prevention, covering the exposed foam edges. Both the foam, and bifilament tape will burn.
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby iamchiefwahoo » Thu May 17, 2012 3:45 pm

RMAX boards are fine, I used them last year on a 6ft high yurt. I highly recommend adding a swamp cooler!
iamchiefwahoo

Camp Name: Monkey Pirate Pirate Monkey

Postby CFresh » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:44 pm

Woohoo first ePlaya post. Thank you all, very excited for my first burn. <3

I have my pieces cut and am about to tape the edges. Is there anything wrong with taping the edges with the protective foil tape only and then doing the rest of the structural taping with the 6" bi-filament? To me it seems taping the edges is more about MOOP control and possibly water protection. As long as the bi-filament tape sufficiently overlaps the foil tape with enough purchase on the R-Max why not save on the expensive tape? Thoughts? Reasons explained years ago on some post I can't seem to find? Obviously my first yurt. 6', I'm packing light.

Thanks.

CFresh

(after actually going to a burn maybe I'll have some sort of signature to write down here that will be insightful, humorous, or just plain weird)
CFresh

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Canoe » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:59 pm

3" aluminum foil tape (not polyester "foil") is exactly what you want to seal the edges.
The robust stuff is ~2.7 mil from HVAC suppliers. Rarely in box stores. Usually cheaper at the suppliers too.

Sometimes the panels still have a release agent on them, which can limit how well the tape sticks to the panel. Consider a quick wipe with some rubbing alcohol to remove most of the "grease" (alcohol isn't a true degreaser, but sufficient for this purpose). If you wipe the whole panel after you've applied the edge sealing tape, then the panels can't collect playa dust on the release agent (and as many fingerprints) when you're taping on the playa; easy to do a quick wipe of any loose dust just before you tape.
Last edited by Canoe on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:09 pm

CFresh wrote:Woohoo first ePlaya post.

Sorry. This is the apex of your life. Savor it... But it won't last.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby CFresh » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:13 pm

thanks for the info everybody. pretty timely I might add. I also re-read the very top of this thread where pretty much all my questions were answered... oooooh
CFresh

Burning Since: 2013

Postby jkisha » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:59 pm

Don't forget to wash the panels before taping with a mild soap solution. There is an oil residue on them that can effect adhesion.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Return to Shelter & Camping