Seeking tips for taming long hair on the playa

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Seeking tips for taming long hair on the playa

Postby dandelion » Tue May 15, 2012 12:37 pm

I have pretty long hair, and last year it became a frizzy, electrically charged, dry mess as soon as we arrived on the playa. I tried frizz cream, hairspray, a little bit of cooking oil (!), anything I could find in our camp, and nothing helped. Any tips on how to tame it?

Thank you :mrgreen:
dandelion

Re: Seeking tips for taming long hair on the playa

Postby danibel » Tue May 15, 2012 1:30 pm

This will be my 4th year on the playa. The first year I just went with hair down and used conditioner over a bucket every day. I think I may have used shampoo once in 6 days. When I got to Reno, my hair was a disaster! It took many washings to get it kinda back from frizzy, dry, ugliness. My second year I had my niece corn row it. I still washed it (conditioned), almost every day, but this made it so much more manageable. Last year I also corn rowed but because I have been growing it out a lot longer - it took the hairdresser almost 2 hours but it was so worth it. She added some fake hair to the braids for color and protection. I will do this again this year... for sure. I also try to wear bandanas to keep the dust levels down on my scalp. They offer protection from sunburn too.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby BBadger » Tue May 15, 2012 1:32 pm

Spray it with water? Hair gets frizzy from either too much or too little moisture. It'll probably be the latter on the playa. It might just be the nature of long hair that has lived too long away from your scalp's oils.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Savannah » Tue May 15, 2012 1:44 pm

There are pomade/gels that are clear and alcohol-free. I use them because I am merciless against flyaways, I like wearing a ponytail, and look best when my temples are sleek. This is my usual, which I like because it is just water, glycerine, aloe vera, and some preservatives. It doesn't get crunchy, or (in my experience) flake. Your mileage may vary.

Fantasia Hair Polisher Styling Gel.
http://www.amazon.com/Fantasia-Potency- ... B000142U9E

Not to be confused with the other, stiffer variety ("Solid Ice Pomade") by the same company. In my opinion, it's a little harder to use than the first one. This one has mineral oil.
http://www.amazon.com/Fantasia-Potency- ... B0014ZR3AK

This one has shimmer in it (etc) and is oil-based.
http://www.amazon.com/Motions-Shine-Enh ... B000EGMB3Y

The above three are usually located among the African-American products in drugstores, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't try them if you're not of that heritage (I'm half). Try this stuff before the playa, of course. The drier your hair is, the better these might work for you.

If you're a fire dancer, google any ingredients you don't recognize and possibly stay away from paraffin and mineral oil and other things that are technically flammable, just as you would be careful with hair spray. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby junglesmacks » Tue May 15, 2012 1:46 pm

Savannah wrote:[..] I like wearing a ponytail, and look best when my temples are sleek. [..]

Oh honey, it's not the temples. Trust me.

:D
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Savannah » Tue May 15, 2012 1:46 pm

How dare you? My temples are very sexy.

Savannah

Postby junglesmacks » Tue May 15, 2012 1:54 pm

I would nary say otherwise!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby danibel » Tue May 15, 2012 1:59 pm

Savannah wrote:
The above three are usually located among the African-American products in drugstores, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't try them if you're not of that heritage (I'm half). Try this stuff before the playa, of course. The drier your hair is, the better these might work for you.

Funny. The first year my niece corn rowed my hair for the burn, she used "pink" on it. It was some sort of conditioner for black hair that she uses on her daughter. I think it helped a lot.

I also try to hot oil my hair a few times in the weeks leading up to the burn, and then get a half inch trimmed off upon my return. Don't bother trimming before (unless you want to of course), the ends are going dry up no matter...
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby wh..sh » Tue May 15, 2012 2:06 pm

coconut oil, braid, and bandana = no frizz
To tame frizz, massage scalp and hair with coconut oil and just wash (dont use shampoo or conditioner). Oil is an excellent conditioner by itself.
If you do want to wash, just shampoo the scalp, not the hair itself. And washing hair too often is just stripping it out of natural oil.

Sigh... here I am, giving hair styling tips :roll:
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Savannah » Tue May 15, 2012 2:19 pm

Agreed, coconut oil is also good stuff for dry-haired girls. I use that all over, and the Fantasia hair polisher at the edges.
Savannah

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue May 15, 2012 2:36 pm

Pin it up or braid it to keep it from being thrashed while you are out and about and wear a decent hat. I have butt-length fine hair and washed it maybe twice in BRC. I sprayed it daily with Hayashi's System 911 Protein Mist (leave in conditioner) so had no issues with static. Coconut oil on the ends. But it was mostly pinned up all week. I did wear it down a few times under a hooded cloak.

My hair was different for a few days after I got back 8) but, not un-comb-able.

Coconut oil is great for your skin, too, especially intimate areas exposed to playa dust; I carried a little bottle of it in my belt. No problems at all. 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby wh..sh » Tue May 15, 2012 2:38 pm

Being the Indian that I am, I swear by coconut oil... for everything! :D

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Savannah » Tue May 15, 2012 2:46 pm

*grin*

Coconut oil for the hair and body . . . coconut water for potassium . . .

*googles*

Oh my God, you guys.

Unless the coconut has been damaged, it is likely sterile. There have been cases where coconut water has been used as an intravenous hydration fluid in some developing countries where medical saline was unavailable.

Yes, I found it on Wikipedia, but the link is to:

The intravenous use of coconut water
The American Journal of Emergency Medicine, Volume 18, Issue 1, Pages 108-111
Darilyn Campbell-Falck, Tamara Thomas, Troy M Falck, Narco Tutuo, Kathleen Clem.

How neat is that?

I will just be over here, worshipping the Coconut God and praying that I will be spared, & not smote, when I walk under His trees.

Savannah

Postby Ratty » Tue May 15, 2012 3:59 pm

The first year my hair was a solid mass. One giant dred. After that I kept it in a furry, hollowed-out, stuffed animal all week. I remove the head and paws so it looks like a wild wig made of fake fur. My hair stays nice and it's there when I need it. And no. It's not hot.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Savannah » Tue May 15, 2012 4:03 pm

A hollowed out stuffed animal! Ratty, you slay me. I'm cross that I haven't done this myself . . . yet. :D
Savannah

Postby graidawg » Tue May 15, 2012 6:41 pm

if anyone needs hair care on the playa i volounteer to assist. my hair will be getting towards dreads by the end of the month i shall be over there
and yes MDF had her hair washed twice, by me. we need a taller chair

oh the assistance will me saying "it looks fine trust me"
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby robbidobbs » Tue May 15, 2012 7:07 pm

Oh gawd! I get to post on this subject again.

I have butt-length hair. I work full time the entire event (10 days). I wash it probably 2 times the entire event, with a quality, 2 in 1 shampoo, soak it in mane-n-tail while I wash my body, then comb it with a detangler comb. I then braid it back tight and put my bonnet over it. The rest of the time it will mat up, but it's protected with CLOTH, so it's not so bad when I return to civilization. It takes a couple days to get it back to workable condition, and I might lose an inch or two. YMMV, curly hair is a situation I have no experience with, but you could think about the primitive cultures and how they deal with the environment. My exposure to this is it's covered in cloth. This will also protect you from sunstroke.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby jsm723 » Thu May 17, 2012 6:56 pm

I have pretty curly hair and its about midback length. I straightened it before going out and bought dry shampoo. I brushed my hair and dry shampooed everyday. After doing that I used coconut oil to tame the frizz, just a little bit though. It worked but by the end of the week my hair hated me. I did a hot oil treatment when I got home to get it back to pre-playa hair.
jsm723

Postby dandelion » Thu May 17, 2012 10:50 pm

I want to squeeze you all, you guys are the BEST! Thank you for all of your suggestions. I use coconut oil all the time, and never thought of using it on the playa :roll: *sigh I washed my hair every other day with shampoo/conditioner in one, which explains a lot.
dandelion

Postby AntiM » Fri May 18, 2012 9:31 am

I have two different types of dry shampoo and loathe it. One container isn't even open. I'll bring them along if anyone would like to have them.

I have shoulder length straight hair (give or take), just medium body. I always dyed it, but now it is virgin silver and dark blonde. I usually pin it up, cover it up, and try for one shampoo. No conditioner, and I find hair sunblock too sticky. Otherwise, it does fine and is very silky after the first real shampoo and condition when I get back. I might or might not get it trimmed. A male friend had his medium-length slightly-wavy hair frizz and break like mad, but he let it fly loose his first year. Not so good.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby wh..sh » Fri May 18, 2012 11:36 am

AntiM, I remember seeing a photo of yours with MyLarry on eplaya. Your hair was sort of a deep red/burgundy shade. It was so beautiful!!!!!

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby AntiM » Fri May 18, 2012 11:43 am

wh..sh wrote:AntiM, I remember seeing a photo of yours with MyLarry on eplaya. Your hair was sort of a deep red/burgundy shade. It was so beautiful!!!!!

Thank you! I did love that color, Clairol Hydrience Burgundy, but they stopped making it. I was curious what color my hair had turned. The silver parts are quite nice. I get more senior discounts now, LOL.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Fri May 18, 2012 4:31 pm

Yay, AntiM! I love silver hair and am excited for mine to grow in. I've got a couple of good streaks going, but I want it to go faster. I've always thought young (or youngish) women with natural silver hair are so sexy.... Today I complimented a random drunk lady I passed on the street because her hair was the most gorgeous, shiny, pewter colour EVER.

Also: Thanks to the OP and everyone who replied. I have longish hair now, which is a new thing for me, and it's already brittle and dry at the ends. I'd figured I'd get it cut short for BM, but maybe I'll try some of these tips instead. Worst-case scenario, I get it chopped on my return home.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby wh..sh » Fri May 18, 2012 5:02 pm

catinthefunnyhat wrote:I've always thought young (or youngish) women with natural silver hair are so sexy....

I am hoping more people will think like you.
My genetics cant accomodate otherwise :)

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby dragonpilot » Wed May 23, 2012 2:25 pm

One word: Over-the-counter-electric-clippers-with-1/4"-cutting-guide...
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby some seeing eye » Wed May 23, 2012 2:40 pm

I'm a short hair unit so less concerns. But to all eplayers. Check your regional for previous participants with your hair type and length. I have met many long hair persons who have bandana covered their locks, maybe throwing on some throws or extensions. Also consider your camp showering facilities.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Savannah » Wed May 23, 2012 2:48 pm

Wigs also offer some protection, although they are a little warm.
Savannah

Postby amarantha » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:14 am

this is an old thread but i would try jojoba oil, maybe? i like to put my hair up in double buns on the playa... and i've tried many dry shampoos and the only one i like is blow faux dry.
amarantha

Postby Oldguy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:12 am

My grandma Clara used to rag-weave fabric into her hair and pin the braids up like Princess Leia or Hopi married woman style. She had extremely long hair due to her religious beliefs. She combed her hair into a center part, then braided strips of fabric into her hair; so that they stood out like Pippi Longstocking. She would then pin her hair into buns. The fabric would protect the long hair and impart some color into her hairstyle.
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby Lonesomebri » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:29 am

Hair care on the playa?
Two words-
Mohawk Monday