4x4 Low Range gearing?

Planning to build and bring a mutant vehicle? Talk about your plans and recruit crew members here.

Re: 4x4 Low Range gearing?

Postby Elliot » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:22 pm

All right.... I keep reading about 4x4, and I just learned that manually locking hubs are available as after-market conversions for all brands of trucks, and apparently also for newer trucks that came only with "automatic" hubs from the factory. Any knowledge or experience with these conversions?
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Elliot wrote:All right.... I keep reading about 4x4, and I just learned that manually locking hubs are available as after-market conversions for all brands of trucks, and apparently also for newer trucks that came only with "automatic" hubs from the factory. Any knowledge or experience with these conversions?

It's quite easy on a 1996 Ford Ranger and Wayyyyyyyyy cheaper than replacing the failing Automatic Locking Hubs with stock ones. It makes a truck more versatile and reliable but you do have to plan ahead a little(heaven forbid!)if you know you will be needing them you have to lock them in either before you set out or get out and lock them in right before switching to 4WD. Manuals are incredibly more reliable and don't release and activate over and over again when you are trying to get unstuck by rocking back and forth(causing the failure to begin with).

Warn is a very trusted brand and that's what I use. It's usually 6 or so allen headed mini bolts on each side and then slide the old thing off and the new one on.... retighten bolts. It's simpler than an oil change and slightly more difficult than opening the door. :D
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Elliot » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:02 pm

Great! I've been Googling, and it looks like the conversion is available for pretty much all 4x4s. And affordable. That means I don't have to limit myself to those trucks that came with manual hubs from the factory. And if it's that straight forward, I can do it! Thanks!
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:52 pm

You're welcome. :)
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun May 06, 2012 8:05 pm

I've owned 4x4s half of forever... Yeah, you absolutely want manual hubs. Partially because of the ability to use low range in 2WD and partially because they WORK. And I strongly prefer manual transmissions in my trucks.
But having said that, I'd like to argue AGAINST 4x4 or manual transmissions for playa mutant vehicles.
I've never even come close to needing 4WD on the playa. Ever. I believe that you will gain nothing but extra deadweight to tow over the mountains and extra unnecessary expense if you have to fix anything or buy manual hubs. Also, in general, 2WD donor vehicles are cheaper.
I once had a small mutant, based on a riding mower chassis, that had your super low gears and a clutch. A manual trans on a playa mutant is a real pain in the ass compared to an auto, just like it is in stop-and-go traffic jam situations. You don't want to have to always be on the damn clutch. It does work and you can do it... but I wouldn't intentionally choose it again.
On the flat, level playa you don't need low range. The slippage in the torque converter gives you all you need.
The auto will always be in First at playa speed regardless of where you set the shifter. Just drop it in Drive and forget it.

That's my opinion.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Elliot » Sun May 06, 2012 8:26 pm

The Captain is back! Goddammit, that's good news! :D

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby DaFishmotorbiking » Tue May 15, 2012 3:13 am

My Fish Mobile 2ea 26inch wheel Bike Frame may become 4 wheels as I see for a articulated tail that uses 2 ea 12 an 1/4 inch wheels to support the fabric cover back past the rear drive wheel Then I suppose it is 4 wheels. Maybe 6 wheels if I need training wheels if not enough gyro effect going under 5mph. I do have 44 to 1 ratio with pulleys and two jackshafts to get 0 to 6 mph and the first connect to a 10 inch pulley that will spin at 400 to 500 rpm. It is a 6 spoked pulley and maybe it will have some positive gyro effect that could help, hope not hinder. 20 guage metal covers over it for safety in progress of mfg right now.

Fish are returning to the Dry Lake Bed!

I know that belt drive is not the preference for car and truck vehicles, but I was happy to see that gearing (pulleying with belts same diff) is being delt with!

DFMB
DaFishmotorbiking

Postby Elliot » Tue May 15, 2012 7:28 am

Hey there. Perhaps 3 a.m. was not the best time for you to compose your first ePlaya post, but welcome anyway!

As I see it, keeping a single-track vehicle upright at low speed is a unique problem, not directly related to the technicalities of gearing. And single-track vehicles have really only one advantage; speed. Thus single-track vehicles would seem… uh…singularly unsuitable as MVs. Of course, if single-track is your art, then by all means have fun with it!

But as for your home-made gyro flywheel, this frightens me. Even with a sheet-steel effort at containment the potential for mayhem is considerable. Professional engineering skills seem called for.
Flywheels have been considered for short-term energy storage in Kinetic Sculpture Racing (human-powered) – and rejected as too dangerous at the shade-tree fabrication level.
There exists a flywheel-powered MV, but the builder has extensive professional skills and the flywheel speed is quite low.
Anything 10” in diameter spinning at 500 RPM would constitute “lethal force”. Please consider other ways to keep your MV upright.

See you on the Playa.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 15, 2012 9:52 am

DaFishmotorbiking wrote:Fish are returning to the Dry Lake Bed!

Yes, I am...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue May 15, 2012 2:54 pm

Elliot wrote:There exists a flywheel-powered MV, but the builder has extensive professional skills

Hmmm. I think I know which one that is! Rusty piece of junk...
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Elliot » Tue May 15, 2012 8:13 pm

In rust we trust. Amen.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby DaFishmotorbiking » Thu May 17, 2012 1:28 am

There is an aluminum spoked 10 inch pulley that does not have anywhere that weight/mass, but it is going to spin at that rate 400-500rpm. I'd guess the weight to be of these common washing machine pulleys to be around 1 an 1/2 pounds.

Let me tell you I can recall going up highway 9 in a small car and had an eye bolt the kind that was once on a tractor trailer for holding down the cable for the load tied on, it was kicked up by my front driver side wheel and under the body of the car right under me in the driver’s seat. I felt the car lift of a bit and I stopped to pull over and see what it was. It got stuck in the first layer of insulating goop between the outer sheet metal and the floor at about a 45 degree angle. At 40 mph the bolt speed I would I guess be the same about 40 mph as it left the space between the bottom of the tire and the road to end up flying under the vehicle where it stopped. This bolt probably weighed in around at 5 pounds. Pretty lucky I guess.

As for the speed of the light weight spoked pulley, like a washing machine pulley, it will be spinning at 20 mph maximum (not the bike speed which is 6 mph max) just the same speed as I have already had it run on this and another prior motor bike. I used it mounted to the rear wheel to drive the bike before and have it sucessfully do the same again. This bike is for the parade speed so there are two 10 inch pulleys.

So thanks, I can see your concern and I am all ears for any specific info, but I’ve not known a problem for this before. It is just that this second 10 inch pulley is closer to my limbs than the rear wheel pulley and the belt also gets covered in the process.

DFMB
DaFishmotorbiking

Postby DaFishmotorbiking » Thu May 17, 2012 1:37 am

Did not see where I could edit last post. I have already planed for training wheels as a possibility. I have found extra pair of 12 an 1/4 inch to attach by the rear 26 inch drive wheel as training wheels. I was going to use them up for the trailing fin behind me for the first pair I trash picked and fixed up, but found an extra set so they may be used as well. Not just 2 wheels, or 4 wheels, but 6 wheels in total!
:wink:
I have an idea to make a leaf spring of sorts to attach the 12 an 1/4 inch training wheels so they can be used more effectively.

DFMB
DaFishmotorbiking

Postby Elliot » Thu May 17, 2012 7:15 am

Very good. I worried you were planning to make a 20 pound flywheel out of concrete or some such. Carry on!

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Tiahaar » Mon May 28, 2012 11:15 pm

Hey Elliot, although its a 2x4 this is as good a thread as any to sneak in a peek at my latest pedal-powered playa creation, the Rover
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby Elliot » Tue May 29, 2012 5:49 pm

A 2x4 is a piece of lumber. :wink:

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby jeffreymcfincze512 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:29 am

Elliot wrote:Correct. Strictly human power. But you can have as many people as you want. This is my most recent entry, with four people.

cool machine...
jeffreymcfincze512

Previous

Return to 2012 Mutant Vehicles