Survival Guide for College Students Missing First Week?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Survival Guide for College Students Missing First Week?

Postby shroom » Tue May 15, 2012 6:39 am

In 2010 I too was in college. I talked to my professors and didn't miss much. Had to be very careful about being out any the rest of the semester due to the strict attendance policy. I had some online classes and worked ahead. I missed 2 days of school. I live in Georgia and drove like mad to get back for Tuesday class but won't try that again. I was such a zombie I don't remember a thing.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby jcliff » Tue May 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Well, after seeing this post at the top of the Q & A for months and wondering why that is, I've decided to chime in. I feel like I have some cred on this issue. I'm a high school science teacher that misses the 2nd full week of school, but I'm also an adjunct professor for a graduate level Biology Methods course at top-notch university. I miss my graduate class's 2nd meeting for the Burn. I'm also a graduate student working on my 3rd masters. I'm missing my first meeting of my thesis class for a Lamplighter Work Weekend on May 24. It's not that big of a deal to miss a class, even the first one.

My suggestions are: Don't tell your Prof's where you are going, but do send them an email letting them know of your absence. Assure them that you will be prepared for the next class. Don't ask the Prof to send you class meeting materials, just beg them off of someone who was there.

Give yourself a couple days to recover from the Burn before you have to get back in the swing of things. If that means that you have to leave early, do it. I've never seen a Temple burn. As much as I'd like to, I know that the 12 hours of sleep I get in a Reno hotel bed makes the difference for me.
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby longtimecompanda » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:02 pm

shroom wrote:In 2010 I too was in college. I talked to my professors and didn't miss much. Had to be very careful about being out any the rest of the semester due to the strict attendance policy. I had some online classes and worked ahead. I missed 2 days of school. I live in Georgia and drove like mad to get back for Tuesday class but won't try that again. I was such a zombie I don't remember a thing.

I'm lucky enough that I don't have classes burn week but this sounds like what will happen to me this year. I live in Georgia and class starts the Monday after the burn. I will of course be working ahead but I don't think I'll be able to show up for a class until Wednesday.
longtimecompanda

Burning Since: 2012

Postby portaplaya » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:15 pm

When planning your departure from BM this year, keep in mind that the temple is burning at sunset this year, about 8pm. (see this post on Burning Blog: http://blog.burningman.com/2012/07/news ... -about-it/)

This is a change from previous years where it burned at 9:30-10:30. The change is specifically to create two more hours of Exodus for the hellacious traffic expected with the increase to 60K people.
portaplaya

Postby niquitatornada » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:19 pm

For my University the add/drop period is the first 2 weeks of classes. So professors are very lenient about students missing those first two weeks of class. This is my plan basically. They don't really question things too much so all I have to say is "I wasn't in class last week, what did I miss" and they will assume that I was just switching my schedule around.

Not sure if it's the same for your university. I go to a very large state school, which is probably why this will work.
niquitatornada

Burning Since: 2013

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Just going to reiterate that each student should check with the school. Having taught at a large state university, we specifically dropped students who missed the first lab that very day, no follow-up questions asked. The waiting lists here are just too long.

To other student-participants of Burning Man reading this, I hope your schools have the flexibility (and funding!) of niquitatornada's, but better to be fully-informed than sorry.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby meincoif » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:12 pm

I've participated in Burning Man four times over the past ten years and missed the first week of classes each year (twice as an undergrad, twice as a graduate student). The amount of notice and detail I would give each professor depended on the class. For large general-education courses, I would write a week ahead of time saying I had a time conflict and would miss the first week, but would be sure to make up any missed notes/coursework and attend the following week. For smaller seminar courses or anything graduate-level, I would give more detail. Being in the social sciences, generally I felt comfortable sharing that I was attending Burning Man (as a valuable social experiment but also valuable to me, personally). Again, assuring the professor that I was eager and excited for their course and that I would make up any missed work always worked for me. Of course, I'm in Ohio, so this situation may be more novel for professors than, say, those at UCBerkeley.
meincoif

Postby mytripod » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:36 pm

As a former college instructor, I think there is great advice here about advance notification, getting books and syllabi ahead of time, and offering to do projects. The majority of your profs and instructors will probably be fine with this, as you have shown them that you are not just blowing off school and hoping for the best (radical self reliance!). If you know in advance that there is one asshole prof who hates everybody and never budges, you can always fall back on Grandma's funeral.
mytripod

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Paul Revere's Party

Postby Kairielise » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:11 pm

I too will be dealing with this in Fall of 2014. One advantage I hope I have is that I am an art major, so hopefully my professors will appreciate my need, if not be incredibly jealous of the fact that I'm going to BM. Add on to that, the fact that I'll be going from BM, right into my other great annual passion, Halloween Horror Nights at Universal, for my third year working that event. One thing I've considered is taking a heaping helping of classes over the Summer, and none in the Fall. Trying to get on-line courses is another possibility, since I'd be able to work at my pace, from anywhere (except the playa).
Kairielise

Burning Since: 2014

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:33 pm

Kairielise wrote: so hopefully my professors will appreciate my need, if not be incredibly jealous of the fact that I'm going to BM.

Ouch...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Kairielise » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:50 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Kairielise wrote: so hopefully my professors will appreciate my need, if not be incredibly jealous of the fact that I'm going to BM.

Ouch...

:mrgreen: not that I WANT them to be jealous.
Kairielise

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:33 pm

I only know one art professor, and maybe she doesn't count because she teaches art history. She has a life. She has a career, a husband, a child, she goes on trips to Iceland and China. I don't think she's jealous of her students.
Art is so huge a field, and I bet there's more art professors who'd rather be in the Venice Biannual, than who want to go to the event.

Oh, and nobody, I mean, nobody, "needs" to go to the event.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Kairielise » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:00 pm

Ouch..
Kairielise

Postby BBadger » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:23 am

So are you just starting college or something? I hope you realize that most professors don't (need to) appreciate these "needs" because quite frankly it's your ass on the line, not theirs. At the lower levels, there is even less incentive to care because many people drop their courses in the first week, and quite frankly newly enrolled students are disposable. Plus, as much as there is great art at BM, it's still just a vacation -- not some enlightenment that may produce a better student (as if it mattered). I wouldn't expect your professors to treat this event any different than a regular vacation.

If your professors do know about BM, they'll know it happens every year. If I were the professor, I'd be questioning why you picked this particular year, during my classes, to go camping in the desert -- assuming I really cared in the first place. In fact, given the above, if I were you, I might not even mention that you're going to Burning Man. Some other "obligation" sounds more reasonable.

If you are a first or second year, it may work as often only the low-level generic courses are held in the summer. For other courses, they may only be held once per year in that semester. Some courses might have "lab" work too that can't be done at home, but that'll probably start the following week.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lucky420 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:45 pm

my daughter missed her first week of classes a couple of years ago due to going to the burn. When she got back 2 of her profs had no problem with it. The third however dropped her out of the class. This prof would not budge. My daughter had tried to contact the prof before classes started but was unable to (alot of teachers seem to not be available until classes actually start, after all they are on vacation too).

My daughter could of transferred her dropped class but was told she would need to get approval of the whole department before she could do this. AS it was already the 2nd week of classes, she wasnt sure how long that would take and how much farther behind she would be. So she did not pursue it at the time.

My son is also a college student. this past burn was the 1st time he was able to attend the whole burn because he would usually attend classes monday and tuesday and then come up to bm for the rest of the week. this has worked out well for him. We live in Reno so it is maybe more feasable for him to miss the first couple of days since we have camp already set up by the time he arrives.

Having said all this you would think that profs here in REno would maybe be more understanding of students attending bm. but as my daughters case proves, not always so. I think BBadger really hit the nail on the head.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby aserendipity » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:34 pm

and I do not agree with Fishy

there is within some of us

both teachers and students
an identity factor which translates into a Need to go to the burn
aserendipity

Postby mudpuppy000 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:20 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I only know one art professor, and maybe she doesn't count because she teaches art history. She has a life. She has a career, a husband, a child, she goes on trips to Iceland and China. I don't think she's jealous of her students.
Art is so huge a field, and I bet there's more art professors who'd rather be in the Venice Biannual, than who want to go to the event.

I know several art professors, and none of them go to burning man. For them it's 24/7 art, so why would they need to go out to some god forsaken place to experience it. :D
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby FossaFerox » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:46 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I only know one art professor, and maybe she doesn't count because she teaches art history. She has a life. She has a career, a husband, a child, she goes on trips to Iceland and China. I don't think she's jealous of her students.

I know several art professors, and none of them go to burning man. For them it's 24/7 art, so why would they need to go out to some god forsaken place to experience it. :D

Because art is so much better when you can climb it then watch it burn?
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:43 am

FossaFerox wrote:
mudpuppy000 wrote:

Because art is so much better when you can climb it then watch it burn?

Oh I don't know if that makes it any better. That's sort of like saying Transformers is better than 2001: A Space Odyssey because there's more explosions in it. :)
mudpuppy000

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:01 pm

I don't know, mudpuppy. After all, Burn Wall Street had more drama than several of Shakespere's histories.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:44 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I don't know, mudpuppy. After all, Burn Wall Street had more drama than several of Shakespere's histories.

IANAA so I'm no expert. :D Something like burn wall street seems like it's geared towards burners (or burner artists) vs art professors. They seem to be more interested in abstract/academic things in my experience.
mudpuppy000

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:39 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I don't know, mudpuppy. After all, Burn Wall Street had more drama than several of Shakespere's histories.

IANAA so I'm no expert. :D Something like burn wall street seems like it's geared towards burners (or burner artists) vs art professors. They seem to be more interested in abstract/academic things in my experience.

I'm terribly sorry. My odd sense of humor got the better of me.
Unless you're way more deadpan than I am, in which case, well played.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:32 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
mudpuppy000 wrote:

I'm terribly sorry. My odd sense of humor got the better of me.
Unless you're way more deadpan than I am, in which case, well played.

lol. My sarcasm-o meter was turned off. :D
mudpuppy000

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:32 pm

It's nice that you trust me. Thank you.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks