best tent for wind

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

best tent for wind

Postby annie87 » Thu May 10, 2012 6:30 am

hello i have been looking at several tents mainly for a common area/ kitchen for our camp and i came across a teepee style tent that looks promising and not very expensive. My main question is wind resistance and if it will hold up here is the link. This is my first burn and would really like some feedback from veterans. Thank you
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeePee-Style-Wa ... 1196wt_932
annie87

Re: best tent for wind

Postby AntiM » Thu May 10, 2012 6:46 am

Looks like it has a lot of open mesh, which would fill it with dust. Looks more like a personal tent than a common area tent to me.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby TomServo » Thu May 10, 2012 7:10 am

For a small group I think it'd work. Just not very much headroom. As far as wind... It has few parts, which is good. But, I would bring a replacement center pole. Maybe one inch conduit, capped on both ends. Also id reinforce the tie Downs.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Bob » Thu May 10, 2012 7:13 am

Same company makes a similar 18 x 18 tent. They don't look any worse than other bargain tents.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Boijoy » Thu May 10, 2012 10:38 am

My 2cents. this looks like an "ok" personal tent. cons. for a common area. the center pole seems thin & would be akward for moving around.
you may only be able to stand upright in the center. its made of nylon so it will be hot as hell after about 9 am. & there is no way I would cook in a tent like that. I would recommed a secured heavy duty ez up with sides or the trust' ol costco carport ( with sides ) if you can transport it out there.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Savannah » Thu May 10, 2012 11:18 am

I don't know anyone with the teepee. I recommend you have your kitchen and common area shaded, but not "inside". I've never seen anyone cook in a tent (fire hazard) but under shade of varying kinds with a fire extinguisher handy, sure. Put vehicles to the SW of your shade and tent. Blocks wind, makes a wall; more airflow. Tents are oppressively hot between 8:00am and 4:00pm unless you have a swamp cooler; see the Swamp Cooler thread.

cooling your tent or van

viewtopic.php?f=280&t=33842

A similar tent: the Sportman's Guide Single Pole Wigwam tent (on the site Bob linked) has been aces, for me. For sleeping and keeping my things in. Sew the upper vents closed, and keep the window zipped shut, and you're in business. It goes up easier than any tent I've ever had, and survived 3 Burns, including some rain and gusting. I use 10" Coleman stakes with it. Your experience could differ. (I keep a roll of plastic around though, just in case, in case I want to cover my bedding.) Would it have survived the two 8-hour windstorms in 2008? I don't know. Then again, my cheap $40 dome tent survived the 2008 storms just fine, staked down extremely well, mind you.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby C187 » Wed May 16, 2012 7:01 am

You also have the whole venting thing to consider with any type of tent you might want to cook in.

Question, does it have to be a tent?
Have you considered alternatives like a monkey hut, or a square shade with tarp walls?
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby SaintTemple » Wed May 23, 2012 8:15 am

I would stay away from putting your kitchen inside. Outside in a shade structure usually works best. You might want a small tent to store food and stuff when not in use but trying to cook in a small tent is a pain at best and at worse a fire waiting to happen.

Shade structures would be a more worth wild than that tent. Look at surplus military camo nets the make great shade shelters and with the Lollypop poles you can get some reall height out of them plus they stand up well in the wind only thing they don't do is keep the dust out. And then store your kitchen when not in use in plastic totes and coolers. In years passed we have used military hard cases to store everything from food to a whole bunch of cheap kites. Plus they double well as seats.

Hope it helps.
BUY THE TICKET
TAKE THE RIDE
SaintTemple

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Father_Burn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:53 pm

Get a us military ecws tent. Built like a brick shi* house and had two fully covering flys that don't let any light through. http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l36/e ... ecwt-C.jpg
Put the white fly on the outside. Never used mine at BRC, but have used it in the canyonlands. Stays very cool and dark.
The Bear
Mountain Mayhem
2010-9&A, 2011-2:30&Esplinade, 2012 - 9&A
Father_Burn

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Mountain Mayhem

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:56 pm

It will be a fine tent for cooking. Prepare your meal to be cooked, unzip the tent flap, place meal inside, zip flap, start timer. This does not work after sundown.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Return to Shelter & Camping