Monkey Hut Spiral Structure?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Monkey Hut Spiral Structure?

Postby huggima » Sat May 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Hey folks,
Our camp is wanting to build a spiral shaped entrance around one of our domes and we're thinking the monkey hut style is what we'd like to go with. Has anyone here had experience building them, and if so, can instruct about materials and how to build it into a spiral shape? The spiral would be outside around the dome with stretch fabric covering it and it will lead into the entrance. The dome is 30 feet in diameter, and we'd like the height of the inside of the spiral to be at least 8 feet high and 8 feet wide. Thanks!
huggima

Re: Monkey Hut Spiral Structure?

Postby some seeing eye » Sat May 05, 2012 4:31 pm

You might post a drawing. Sprinkler pipe comes in 20 foot lengths. You can practice at home how to cut that to length to make your desired arch. A monkey hut benefits from a top spine tied to the arches. Rosebrand fabrics in LA is a source for stretch materials.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Bob » Sat May 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Those monkey huts are okay for what they are, but you might want to think different.

http://www.hendrikhackl.de/
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby huggima » Sat May 05, 2012 6:10 pm

Bob, did you build the spiral that was on the playa as an art installation in 2000 or 2001? That's actually where we are getting our inspiration from. I don't mind what materials our spiral is made out of, as long as it doesn't take forever to put together and is sturdy. I couldn't read your sight because I only understand english ;), so if you'd like to tell me more, I'm all ears!
huggima

Postby Bob » Sat May 05, 2012 6:44 pm

I don't think we're quite clear on your concept. Post a sketch.

Bob

Postby huggima » Sat May 05, 2012 6:59 pm

I'm not sure how to upload an image on here. Do you have a private email address I can send it to?
huggima

Postby Bob » Sat May 05, 2012 7:06 pm

Can you provide a better description for the readers of the eplaya?

Bob

Postby huggima » Sat May 05, 2012 7:18 pm

We're looking to build an 8-10 foot tall, 8-10 foot wide, arched enclosed tunnel that spirals around our 30 foot dome, leading into the dome entrance. We imagine our tunnel looking very similar but staying the same size for the whole distance, and the exit will spiral back the other way from the dome exit and be exposed to the elements, just like with the das ammoniten project.

Is there any more info you need to understand it better? And were you yourself a part of building the das ammoniten project?
huggima

Postby Eric » Sat May 05, 2012 7:19 pm

huggima wrote:I'm not sure how to upload an image on here. Do you have a private email address I can send it to?

PostImage.JPG

To post an image that's on the web, use the "Img" tag (top arrow), insert the URL between the tags.

To post an image from your computer, use the "Download image" button (bottom arrow) and choose the image from your computer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby huggima » Sat May 05, 2012 7:24 pm

[attachment=0]spiral2012.jpg[/attachment]

Thanks. Obviously it's not to scale. The square attached to the dome is our swamp cooler.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
huggima

Postby Bob » Sat May 05, 2012 7:54 pm

Structurally, I'd suggest you spend some time trying to comprehend what the Ammonite people did, or invent something on your own. Conceptually, I think it's an emergency responder's nightmare.

Bob

Postby DoctorIknow » Sat May 05, 2012 8:36 pm

None of my business, don't mean to rain on your parade, but here are some thoughts:

Access to dome:
IF you build this, whatever access you have for yourself, your camp, to run and maintain whatever is going on inside the dome... you most likely will have a direct entrance....this entrance will be figured out by the masses and they will not use the spiral. As a kid, in the house of mirrors, all one had to do was look at the floor to see where people had walked. I believe most burners are not the type to bump into the mirror.

"Stretch fabric"
if you are talking Lycra, have you priced it? I bought a 6' wide 100' long bolt of Lycra to surround the bottom portion of my dome (which I designed specifically for the stretched out lycra.) I think it cost $600, and yes, it still costs the same http://www.stretchhouse.com/nylonspandex.htm#Regular Spandex . (better copy and paste the link). It looks like your spiral would consume at least 400 feet of material, much more if not just walls, but covered on top.

Side note for attaching line to any fabric:
For all fabrics in uses like shade, use use marbles and pieces of strong small diameter rope, tying a clove hitch around the fabric that is covering the marble. Much better than gromets that can fail when they cut the material...also, the gromet doesn't distribute the stress as well as the "bunched" fabric. The marble and rope method is what's holding the stressed lycra on the dome: (sorry, pic link long gone)

Any material in the wind
But especially lycra, will be windcatchers. On a dome, windcatchers are one thing as the support system is solid. But in your spiral, I would imagine a disaster in strong winds unless the support system is very costly.

Time needed:
Your camp will probably spend more time on the spiral than the actual dome. Whatever system you use, it will probably not be tested beforehand and problems will evolve that will be unsolvable or consume so much time many will feel their playa time wasted, as what was thought to be a one day project stretches to three, and then the thought comes up "Why finish, there are only a few days left here!"

I always am amused to see incredibly ambitious projects being worked on feverishly for a day or two or three, then abandoned. I'm amused as it is heartbreaking, as I've been there, but the positive aspect is that those involved will certainly learn to scale into any new project understanding that the playa is not giving you any extra time/resources/labor hours to work things out.
DoctorIknow

Postby Bob » Mon May 07, 2012 12:46 pm

Anything worth doing is worth completely overdoing at Burning Man.

Bob

Postby some seeing eye » Mon May 07, 2012 1:58 pm

I like the idea of indirect access, though you might plan for an emergency exit in case of mass mishap.

Two outstanding indirect entries were the side dome at Xara, and The Petting Zoo with its entry maze made of army wall tents. The Petting Zoo in particular had a big line and people were allowed in only as others exited. Everyone was sworn to secrecy about what went on inside and no one in the line was told, even if they persistently questioned. They also had an anteroom where everyone took off their shoes, perfect for the night of the rainstorm that year.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Return to Shelter & Camping