2012 NYC Shipping Container???

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

2012 NYC Shipping Container???

Postby FeetOfClay » Thu May 03, 2012 1:38 pm

I know in years past, a shipping container was available in NYC to load your Playa provisions onto (for a fee), and they'd be magically transported to the Playa.

Thing is, no matter where I search online, I can not find info about the shipping container for THIS year: their page has not been updated since 2011.

Anyone know: will there be an NYC container this year? I am afraid that due to the ticket situation, maybe the container people did not get tix, and therefore are not offering transport services this year???
What is this quintessence of dust?
User avatar
FeetOfClay
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:46 pm
Location: NY
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Re: 2012 NYC Shipping Container???

Postby trilobyte » Fri May 04, 2012 2:26 am

You may want to connect with the NY regional folks, the container is not organized on this board.
User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10625
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:54 pm
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: 2012 NYC Shipping Container???

Postby FeetOfClay » Fri May 04, 2012 6:51 am

thanks Trilo :)
What is this quintessence of dust?
User avatar
FeetOfClay
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:46 pm
Location: NY
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Re: 2012 NYC Shipping Container???

Postby jkisha » Fri May 04, 2012 10:56 am

Or, you could just Google NYC container burning man and find this link http://www.nyccontainer.com/
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: 2012 NYC Shipping Container???

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Fri May 04, 2012 11:20 am

jkisha wrote:Or, you could just Google NYC container burning man and find this link http://www.nyccontainer.com/


yeah, that website's for 2011. it says they're "looking forward to doing it again in 2012," but the "buy now" link just tells you that sales for 2011 are over. nothing there appears to have been updated since last year.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
User avatar
catinthefunnyhat
 
Posts: 2182
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:24 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: 2012 NYC Shipping Container???

Postby Drawingablank » Fri May 04, 2012 12:20 pm

As of February they were definitely planning a container
From the NY Announce list on 2/15/12

We here at the NYC Container wanted to let you know that as long as we
have enough people to buy space in at least 1 container...we are a go.

Anticipating the potential for ticket-fuckary, and feeling like we are
a part of the NYC Community's on-playa infrastructure, we went ahead
and grabbed a couple of the uber-expensive early tickets just to make
sure we would have at LEAST a few of us on playa.

Like most of you -- as a group -- we did not all get tickets in the
lottery. And actually, no one in our camp who applied for the lottery
got tix. However, we did get enough between the early sale and the
container campers with ranger tix that we will have enough
infrastructure to get the containers out there.

We are hoping for the best in the next round of tickets so that the
rest of our crew can come out and help the scenario run more smoothly.
but REST ASSURED! We will be there. And either Nickname or me or both
of us will be on playa to welcome those of you attending with open
arms. Or a snarly growl....the usual.


I don't still have the announcement from 2011 but if I recall correctly it was in late may or early june that they started booking it
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
User avatar
Drawingablank
 
Posts: 2018
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: NY
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

NYC Container help

Postby vimspot » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:28 am

So NYC container load out is either September 15 or September 22. Either way my fiancee and I will be travelling. Is there anyone who lives in Manhattan who would be willing to grab our one small box? We'd be willing to exchange money, hugs, acupuncture in gratitude (my fiancee is an a psychiatrist/acupuncturist).

boxme@boun.cr

Thanks!

From: The NYC Container <nyccontainer@gmail.com>
Subject: [BManNYC] The Containers: Load Out...IMPORTANT
To: newyork-announce@burningman.com, NY List
<newyork-list@burningman.com>, newjersey-announce@burningman.com
Message-ID:
<CAP7Gx6=OtSXMBDyHb6aocbtkdfeHYHDKtv6791Fv8q0jEwiyRQ@mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252

Dear NYC area burners,

Please read this whole email. Don't skim. Use all your powers and read it.
I know, it's kinda long. It's important. (love ya!)

Miss those playa boogers? I know I do!
So here's the news on load-out.

The drivers were able to get about half the East Coast containers out of
BRC on Tuesday morning. They couldn't come get our containers Monday night
because so many of you loaded in late (harumph!)

By the time they came back to get the 2nd round of containers Wednesday
morning, the rain had started and they were stopped by sherrifs at the gate
from entering the city. Too many were getting stuck in the mud. See the
note below from the shipper:

"All my drivers got turned around there are people/truckers stuck out on
the Playa. it rained last night and containers and other things have sunk
and or are stuck in the dirt/mud?. The police/road services are out there.
They told my drivers it could be hours so I will try calling the main gate
in Gerlach later but drivers are hearing that most likely it will be
tomorrow? I am crossing my fingers that the rain does not continue out
there?."

So the news is: The containers are potentially delayed by 1 week. If they
get out today, they may still be here by load out the 15th. However, if
they don't get out today they won't be here until the following Saturday,
the 22nd. We will keep you informed as to the whereabouts of our stuff. And
then, you never know when they will get pulled off the rails, things
inspected, stuff broken, etc. We will keep YOU informed as we hear
information.

IMPORTANT: If you gave some of your space away, YOU are responsible for
getting others this information.
IMPORTANT: Load out is different from load in. There are no arrival times.
Show up when it starts. IT is a FULL ON community effort. We pull
everything off at once and you come get it. That said, EVERYONE OF YOU are
wonderful and jump on the truck and do some pulling-off. Those who don't
get pushed to the back of the line next year...

We love you! It's always an adventure! And remember...we guarantee nothing!
Cinemagirl
vimspot
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:11 am
Burning Since: 2012

Where is the 2012 NYC Container?

Postby asilaski » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:13 am

Does anyone know when the 2012 NYC Container is supposed to return? I haven't heard anything.
asilaski
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:09 am

Re: 2012 NYC Shipping Container???

Postby asilaski » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:14 am

Also does I'm new to eplaya. Does anyone know how to start a new message thread or "forum"?
asilaski
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:09 am

Re: 2012 NYC Shipping Container???

Postby BBadger » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:33 am

You can create new topics, but not forums. You should probably contact the container company directly for information.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Where is the 2012 NYC Container?

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:16 am

asilaski wrote:Does anyone know when the 2012 NYC Container is supposed to return? I haven't heard anything.


This is the latest word which went out on the 10th to the new york list:
Hi folks,
Just want to keep you as informed as we are.
We have learned that the container that left early is on track and in Chicago but we aren't sure about the other container.

we know that many of you need to arrange for rental cars/trucks for load out so we are trying to get info on whether it will happen this Saturday, the 15th or the following Saturday, the 22nd as quickly as we can.

Much thanks,
Cinemagirl


On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM, The NYC Container <nyccontainer@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear NYC area burners,

Please read this whole email. Don't skim. Use all your powers and read it. I know, it's kinda long. It's important. (love ya!)

Miss those playa boogers? I know I do!
So here's the news on load-out.

The drivers were able to get about half the East Coast containers out of BRC on Tuesday morning. They couldn't come get our containers Monday night because so many of you loaded in late (harumph!)

By the time they came back to get the 2nd round of containers Wednesday morning, the rain had started and they were stopped by sherrifs at the gate from entering the city. Too many were getting stuck in the mud. See the note below from the shipper:

"All my drivers got turned around there are people/truckers stuck out on the Playa. it rained last night and containers and other things have sunk and or are stuck in the dirt/mud…. The police/road services are out there. They told my drivers it could be hours so I will try calling the main gate in Gerlach later but drivers are hearing that most likely it will be tomorrow… I am crossing my fingers that the rain does not continue out there…."

So the news is: The containers are potentially delayed by 1 week. If they get out today, they may still be here by load out the 15th. However, if they don't get out today they won't be here until the following Saturday, the 22nd. We will keep you informed as to the whereabouts of our stuff. And then, you never know when they will get pulled off the rails, things inspected, stuff broken, etc. We will keep YOU informed as we hear information.

IMPORTANT: If you gave some of your space away, YOU are responsible for getting others this information.
IMPORTANT: Load out is different from load in. There are no arrival times. Show up when it starts. IT is a FULL ON community effort. We pull everything off at once and you come get it. That said, EVERYONE OF YOU are wonderful and jump on the truck and do some pulling-off. Those who don't get pushed to the back of the line next year...

We love you! It's always an adventure! And remember...we guarantee nothing!
Cinemagirl
http://www.nyccontainer.com
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
User avatar
Drawingablank
 
Posts: 2018
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: NY
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp


Return to Regionals & Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests