highway 6 out of bishop

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

highway 6 out of bishop

Postby ranger magnum » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:48 am

who has taken hwy 6 off 395 in bishop to get to the playa? We normally take 395 to bridgeport, then 182 which eventually (via several different highways) gets you to the 95 and into fernley. Its numerically shorter than 395 through reno, and much more scenic.

The downside to 395 from bishop on is that it has serious elevation climbs. My rig can do it no problem, but resulting fuel mileage has me in the low single digits.

Ive read that hwy 6 doesnt have those elevation changes. Ive also read on the bm site that it is also not recommended due to the tribal police having harassed some participants and even arresting them without probable cause back in 05. There is no specifics regarding the participants, nor if this was an isolated incident.

Id like to hear from anyone who has travelled this route and their impression of it.
Praise the Lowered
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Re: highway 6 out of bishop

Postby Joshua! » Thu May 03, 2012 4:05 pm

When I lived in Nevada, I traveled that route many times between my place and LA. It definitely has fewer hills, but also has fewer services. There isn't anything between Bishop and Hawthorne, unless you count whorehouses. (I do!) I can't imagine that the tribal authorities give burners that much shit, as so many that come that way tend to stop at the fireworks stand, but I could be wrong. A good friend of mine always takes that route with his big ass truck and trailer as the lesser grades save his transmission.

Short story- It's a good choice, about an hour longer in my experience, but you should be prepared!

Joshua
ps- the military ordinance museum in Hawthorne is pretty neat too!
Joshua!

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Gigsville

Postby Tiahaar » Wed May 09, 2012 1:07 am

well shucks! you're starting from my neighborhood even Ranger. 6 is a good route, there's an excellent truck tire service place in Hawthorne (as well as Whiskey Flats, a great overnight rv place). I use the alt 95 to yerrington then Fernley. its a long grade up out of Bishop but not overly steep. heh, my old bus has been pulled over in both Bishop and Hawthorne by officers looking for stuff (once for crossing the double yellow on a tight turn in Hawthorne and once for a plate light out in Bishop) and somewhat humorous to be the convergance of 3-4 patrol units (with dogs) both times...but I had my papers in order, was polite, they were polite, and no citations given. They were on alert for festival goers with drugs it was obvious...so travel clean.
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby Ratty » Fri May 11, 2012 11:28 am

Off the subject quite a bit....Anyone from Bishop remember Karen, Bobby, Jackie and Ricky Conner? They lived in the big farmhouse next to the A&W on the outskirts of town. (Towards Mammoth). They also lived in town and out by Bull Pit Park. Just wondering....
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Return to Transportation