MV Registration...Up, Down, the Same as 2011?

Planning to build and bring a mutant vehicle? Talk about your plans and recruit crew members here.

MV Registration...Up, Down, the Same as 2011?

Postby peachandpapa » Tue May 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Trillo,
You have mentioned that you are one of the team of hotties that has been going over 2012 MV registrations. With the ticket snafu, how has it affected the number of registrations, i.e. more (I doubt), less, or about the same?
Go Forth and Tell the Story...
peachandpapa

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Peach's Verdant Camp

Re: MV Registration...Up, Down, the Same as 2011?

Postby lemur » Tue May 01, 2012 12:37 pm

really? trilo has been doing vehicle processing? ...hmm i wonder who he is doing it as.. ive been on all of the meetings and i didnt notice him, perhaps he isnt doing it as 'trilobyte'

anyways.

its hard to say whether its up down or the same because the deadline hasnt come yet... we will find out in 2 weeks.

once the mad rush of deadline time comes, or doesnt.. we will see how many people applied..

as it is, there have been a whole bunch of people who applied..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby peachandpapa » Tue May 01, 2012 1:06 pm

My mistake on Trilo... Lemur you are the go too guy on MVs. Sorry about that. Thank you for your response and I'm happy to hear that there are a large number of responses. Also, thanks for volunteering and taking the time to review them all.
peachandpapa

Postby lemur » Tue May 01, 2012 2:15 pm

well! i might seem like a go-to guy but that might just be because i use eplaya more than some other people who do stuff with DMV

there are certainly people who are responsible for much more than i when it comes to the workings of the dmv. i dont really represent the DMV in any official capacity other than being a volunteer.. and someone who uses eplaya

..right now i just do the off-playa processing stuff with a group of other hard workin conference call people who have already put in over 20 hours of time in april on the phone/skype/headset processing stuff.. (with some other dmv folks putting in dramatically more time)

anyways yeh! there have been a large number of responses.. and i am just guessing but lookin at a casual glance at the numbers as they are today..if the deadline had been April 30th i doubt anyone but the on playa hotties who process the vehicles would notice much of any difference in the amount of mutant vehicles on the playa in 2012

there are old favorites youve seen before.. awesome large and small scale ones that havnt ever been.. and there is still 2 weeks to go before the deadline....the looming deadline usually brings in a big chunk of applications.. that may be different this year because of the distributed tickets program giving people whove had a vehicle in the past incentive to apply early to see if they have access to tickets.... it may not be different, presumably we have a lot of newcomers this year (who might be bringing vehicles..)

but!

the dmv has stuff waiting to be processed at the next meeting and whether or not we have the same as 2011, more than 2011, or less than 2011.. i think, in my opinion, that theres enough vehicles that applied and got approved already that anyone concerned about whether or not we will have lotsa mutant vehicles should not worry.. in my mind i dont see any reason to be concerned about the ticket situation dramatically impacting the amount of mutant vehicle art.. or the quality of what gets brought out
lemur

Postby mshaman » Wed May 02, 2012 12:12 pm

What will be most interesting to me is the ratio of invitations extended compared to those that actually show up on the playa. With ticket issues this year, I expect unusual attrition. We dropped 2 out of 3 art car projects so that we could make sure that the one was bangin' despite the short staff. We did have the courtesy to email the DMV so that we weren't nudging out any real applicants with our postponed projects.
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.
mshaman

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 03, 2012 2:30 am

As lemur pointed out, I'm not part of the DMV.

Vehicle registration info is not generally published pre-event, and so far 2012 is no exception. :wink: I'll plus one to everything lemur said as well, the deadline hasn't even come and gone. Historically a lot of registrations come in at the last minute, though the directed ticket distribution program may have shifted that somewhat this year (as it has with theme camp registrations).

People were crying that the lottery process and subsequent ticket situation would screw over big art too, but actual results were more art grant applications than ever before, with a large number of really ambitious projects. I foresee no shortage of magnificent mutant vehicles on the playa.

Of course, weather will play a significant factor, too. In a good weather year, MV crews have an easier time of bringing their invited projects to the playa and getting them ready to pass inspection, and then keep them running throughout the week. In a harsh weather year, every step of the way is an uphill battle.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby peachandpapa » Fri May 18, 2012 12:22 pm

Lemur,
Will you guys be looking at appeals any time soon...if at all? I made the horrible mistake of sending in the wrong pictures and did not realize it until I got the denial. Lesson learned...
peachandpapa

Postby 5280MeV » Fri May 18, 2012 12:42 pm

peachandpapa wrote:Lemur,
Will you guys be looking at appeals any time soon...if at all? I made the horrible mistake of sending in the wrong pictures and did not realize it until I got the denial. Lesson learned...

I don't speak in any official capacity and lemur probably knows more than me, but I do know that appeals are considered and if you can meet the concerns voiced in the denial letter by either better describing or improving your design then it is certainly worth it to appeal. Make sure to read the denial email carefully.
5280MeV

Postby lemur » Fri May 18, 2012 11:16 pm

sorry to hear that you accidentally sent the wrong images and had a denial... theres lots of work that goes into these things and its a bummer to have it occur because of that

one of the sad realities of the whole mutant vehicle thing at burning man is that there are a limited number of vehicles that can attend.. for regular applications, and appeals alike, the limited number of vehicles allowed has an impact on whether or not a vehicle can be invited to the playa...

like 5280MeV I don't really speak in an official capacity for the DMV or appeals but from my volunteer position in doing reviewing of the apps i think its safe for me to say..

when folks would be hearing back about appeals really depends on a few things, so its hard to say when people would hear back.. I can't really speak to your specific case.. but!

all i can really be confident of at this point is that i am pretty sure that all of the people with appeals wont be hearing back by this time next week...

if i could stretch into the realm of the unknown id guess,.. again guess.. that all of the people with appeals will not have a final answer as to their status before June.

but again that all depends on a number of factors.. one of which is how many appeals come in... also, if i recall correctly, people have a 2 week window in which to respond with an appeal.. which again can have an impact on when all of the people with appeals will hear back about their applications status.
lemur

Postby peachandpapa » Mon May 21, 2012 11:10 am

Lemur,
Thank you for the update and guestimation. A dumb mistake on my part put me in this position so whatever happens...happens! You guys rock at the Dept. of MV!
peachandpapa

Return to 2012 Mutant Vehicles