Your opinion: "private" events on-playa, OK or not?

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Re: Your opinion: "private" events on-playa, OK or not?

Postby ygmir » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:20 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:There is it is there, komrade, you had pants on. Did you not to see sign saying "Shirtcockers only beyond this point"???

damn me for not reading signs..........or social queues........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby andy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:33 pm

[quote="Simon of the Playa"][quote]
im not sure whether to laugh or to cry....[/quote]

In that case, I would recommend laughter, it's more fun.
andy

Postby andy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:42 pm

[quote="Simon of the Playa"][quote]I think you're right, exclusive access times are not the way to go. Our fundraising plan already includes a private off-playa party at the build space for donors, private dinners with the team, and a variety of swag. The only on-playa perks are a champagne reception one night at the artwork, a dinner with the team in camp, and a personal tour of the installation with the inventor. There is also the ability to define one of the puzzles (it's a large interactive puzzle) although that is done off-playa and videotaped for the donor in case they can't attend.
[/quote]

im not sure whether to laugh or to cry....[/quote]

OK, maybe I wasn't clear enough about this - my bad. The champagne reception and celebratory dinner on burn night are actually Team events, but I decided to open them up to larger donors as a perk. They weren't created as fundraising events. The "private dinners" is a bit misleading, it's just one nice dinner for people making significant contributions. The build-space party *was* created as a fundraising event - sort of a "first to play with it" - keeping in mind that some donors can't make the event and would still like to see the installation.
andy

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:46 pm

please dont take my rantings as anything more than commentary on the way things change....it has nothing to do with you personally or your project, more on the state of "things".

and again, time will tell whether this current trend will continue and to what effect it will have on the nature of the beast.

la plus ca change...

la plus ca meme chose?
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Elorrum » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:08 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
la plus ca change...

la plus ca meme chose?

la plus qu'Il reste meme? where's delle?
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby veleda » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:56 am

I am glad this discussion is happening. My camp is doing a very big project this year..and we're going to have to turn to kickstarter for the first time. Well we did try it once in 2008 but it was like an abysmal failure..hopefully we will manage to be successful this year as we really need some funding to pull it all off.

I've been trying to figure out what is appropriate and what has been successful.

Things I have heard of successful kickstarters include: home-made art pieces, morning coffee delivery (srsly but it was from a coffee camp), special dinners (both exclusive and inclusive), medallions, time with artists, massage//healing services, art car trips, schwag of all types, first in line (for bars and things)..

I also feel weird about the idea of doing a 'private' event on the other hand.. it would be nice to do some sort of cocktail party for people that felt inspired to donate to the project on the playa..and have the artists there and blends the lines so to speak.. One thing that isnt 'exclusive' is to invite them to dinner with the whole camp..like come be a part of our community for the evening...that to me is 'special' but isn't cutting off other people from a public venue. For me the line seems to be around PUBLIC v. Private Space. Having a private dinner or semi private dinner for donor-participants in the camp private space is also different then making the public space exclusive.

its a lot to think about for sure!!!
Luv n' Rocket;
Veleda
Sacred Spaces Village
veleda

Previous

Return to 2012 Art & Performance