Art Car to borrow?

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Art Car to borrow?

Postby mamae » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:22 pm

6 year burner family is ready to bring love and light to the playa on a grander scale, via an art car, so we can cover more ground :) we are wondering if any of the many souls who were unable to get a ticket for this year might have a small art car to loan? please contact mamae(at)koLLab.org if so ....
mamae

Re: Art Car to borrow?

Postby Bob » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:29 pm

Walk.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby BBadger » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:08 pm

Cover more ground? Give me a break. More like just be extremely lazy considering that you're not allowed to drive faster than you can bike.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby moltensteelman » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:09 am

My MV walks slower then I do so it covers less ground, but I'm ok with that. Speed isn't the point.
moltensteelman

Postby lemur » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:10 am

In addition to these criteria, you must also:
Describe the motivation for creating your Mutant Vehicle.

If the convenience of personal transportation is your primary goal, please rethink your intent. A primary factor driving your urge to drive should be the sharing of your creation with the rest of the community.

it looks like you want something for personal transport.. something you didnt create...and seemingly without giving a crap about the art or the effort required to create something.. it appears you just want to borrow a vehicle because someone else isnt using it...

this request seems a bit of a silly move to me

consider all of those hundreds of people that toil away for months building their artistic mutant vehicle creations, the people who have to apply to get it invited to the playa, the ones who are fearing that their work might not meet the continually rising creative bar of what is allowed...the artists..

and you just want to sidestep all of that difficult creative stuff and fill out the application for a borrowed piece of art to ferry yerselves around

ya kno!! i think all of us would love to get around the event quicker..

but.. apart from those who are disabled.. youve actually gotta work for it (mostly).... you gotta try to at least add something to the event.. even if it ends up being a form of personal transit, at least it is something that was made by you, a piece of art, whether awesome or not.. a creation ..'radical expression' ..'radical self reliance'..

the artist person above says "Speed isn't the point"

..from my perspective of looking at mutant vehicles.. the great ones, the truly awesome ones that make you go WOW .. they all probably share that same idea in some way... speed isnt the point.. the art is.

s0oo..

i would humbly say: learn to ride a bike, walk, or build yer own art.. you got a little over 2 weeks before the application deadline. good luck!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby jkisha » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:55 am

Without saying I agree or disagree with any of the opinions expressed; I just wonder if they would have been different had the OP worded his request differently?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:00 am

Once again, I hate to be the one to raise the spector of the default world, but even apart from the fact that most mvs are somewhat delicate and need a certain amount of babying from someone used to the machines crotchets, there's also the fact that they could end up being involved in some sort of event that gets lawyers involved--and no one with any brains wants to loan out something that could bankrupt them if misused.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:43 am

I'd suggest using bicycles or walking. The 5MPH limit is slower than you think in the "covering more ground" department, plus there are tons of responsibilities, liabilities, and costs involved. Taking on riders and passengers (because mutant vehicles aren't meant to be personal/private transportation) would also slow you down considerably.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Dr Helix » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:48 am

jkisha wrote:Without saying I agree or disagree with any of the opinions expressed; I just wonder if they would have been different had the OP worded his request differently?

I doubt there is much the OP could change to make it sound better. Maybe talking about what they would do with the car, either as an interactive experience or perhaps to help someone less mobile. As a designer of a small MV, I know that I have to make sure it has elements of interactivity to it because many small MV's can be perceived as just a get around personal vehicle. But beyond all that, the whole tone of the OP just felt crummy to me. I see, "We're going you're not. By the way, give us your car." Ya wanna ride? Go build one. And.........I'm done here.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:58 am

It probably bore reiterating...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to 2012 Share Resources