My Art Car got an invitation, now all's I need's a Ticket

Planning to build and bring a mutant vehicle? Talk about your plans and recruit crew members here.

My Art Car got an invitation, now all's I need's a Ticket

Postby ApolloPan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:06 pm

Salutations, fellow Dust Bunnies! Got an amusing email a while ago- seems my art car, Squeeks the Playa Guinea Pig is going to Burning Man...now, all she need's a driver & about $600 worth of deep-cycle batteries to get her Home. Wondering if anyone in Sacramento might be willing or able to take her there, in the event that I don't get an invitation myself. Thanks in advance all!
ApolloPan

Re: My Art Car got an invitation, now all's I need's a Ticke

Postby Dustdevil » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:35 pm

If your name is on the invite, then you must be the person to bring the Mutant Vehicle. By filling out the application you are taking responsibility for the vehicle. The DMV will not allow someone else to take your place.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby ApolloPan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:20 am

Ah hell. Thanks for the info Dust Devil -I forgot about that. Is it me or does the Department of Mutant Vehicles now have more red tape than DMVs in the default world? :lol: So much for the idea of gifting an art car then.
ApolloPan

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:01 am

Is it me or is the playa DMV the whipping boy for all sorts of discontent?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Dustdevil » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:05 am

It's just you. Well sort of. In the not so distant past there were problems, long lines, too many steps in the paper trail etc. Not to mention the fact that the Hotties have to make tough decisions about what vehicles get an invite based on the Mutant guidelines. The lines actually move quickly, the paperwork is now on Ipads and the flame effect inspection process has its' own area to work out of.
There is still the issue of who gets an invite. The BLM has a cap on the number of vehicles. As the quality of mutation has gone way up, MV's that passed a couple of years ago may no longer make the cut. The days of hanging some beads and trinkets off a golf cart are long gone.
My job of inspecting the Flame Effects is the least controversial of all the DMV processes. FAST has guidelines for flame effects. The system either meets those standards or not. My team does not make any judgement calls.
I participate in some of the processing sessions. I have to tell you, I have the utmost respect for the people that do that on a regular basis. It is a difficult and thankless job. Nobody wants to hear they didn't make the cut as there are some really nice vehicles that just won't get in.
Dustdevil

Postby ApolloPan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:23 am

Thanks again DustDevil- been mutating this golf cart for about 11 years now, and I do remember to thank the Hotties when I see them. I also know the art car owner who was responsible for the new "art car sound ordinance," lol. I know the days of open-engine bays on VW buses lined with bar stools are gone, and safety inspections for trailers are necessary given past accidents; red tape just gives me allergic reactions, like carping. Glad to hear about the inspection improvements, like PDAs and such- I actually enjoy hanging out at the DMV while waiting for inspection because you get to see some many great art projects on wheels all in one place! Sounds like BRC DMV will be faster & stream lined much like the default DMV- which I must add, was actually fast & quite pleasant on my latest visit. :D
ApolloPan

Postby illy dilly » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:47 pm

ApolloPan wrote:I actually enjoy hanging out at the DMV while waiting for inspection because you get to see some many great art projects on wheels all in one place!

LOL!!!!!!!

Funny Story!
Our first year, me and my girlfriend we're walking around the Esplanade during the day, just checking stuff out. We see a huge line and group of art cars, all shapes and sizes, all in one area. We were like "Fuck yeah! They're having a parade! Lets go see!" We spent a good 30 minutes taking pictures with art cars and talking to people about their cars. Before someone explained that they were all waiting for the DMV!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Dustdevil » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:50 pm

I actually heard complaints from 2011 that there were no DMV lines and the MV operators weren't there long enough to chat with their friends and also people did not get to see the MV's in a big group as in previous years. You just can't please everyone.....The comments from the MV artists were pretty much tongue in cheek...
Dustdevil

Postby Galaxo Magic » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:35 am

There is no rule that says that once you get your DMV license that you have to leave the DMV. You can hang out and watch the grand parade.

Last year was the easiest inspection yet! The DMV Hotties had their Ipads. I, for one, loved that I did not have to spend several hours there. Not that I don't love the DMV Hotties.

Remember the DMV Hotties work hard, show them courtesy, love and respect.

Damn, I am getting soft in my old age.....
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Return to 2012 Mutant Vehicles