Anybody know what's allowed at Temple?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Anybody know what's allowed at Temple?

Postby lemur » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:04 pm

if you want to see how well prepared you are.. or arent... and about how the playa can, as said, chew you up and spit you out, read through the Rangers Greendot Scenerios:

http://rangers.burningman.com/wordpress ... s_2010.pdf

incubus_pantomime wrote:I want to do this right, and I want to stand up for all Birgins who are doing the same as me. I am going to ask any and all questions I have so that I can arrive on the playa and (hopefully) be mistaken for a veteran because I'm so well prepared. That's what my comment was getting at.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:40 pm

Wow.. that's some toilet reading material right there.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Clar-i-ty » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:59 am

incubus_pantomime wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I refuse to worry about staples.

Consider this my effort to be the best Burgin I can be (since a significant number of people here on ePlaya have lambasted me in the most ugly, paltry, misdirected way, and I've essentially been turned into a social pariah against my will).

Thank you for the tip on jute and other natural materials as an alternative, motskyroonmatick! I think this is the best solution. Now that I think about it, I guess adhesives could create fumes when burned that could be less "green."

Isn't that precious! Crypto, I think that may be the first "Burnier than thou" of the year.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby MyDearFriend » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:37 am

ranger magnum wrote:
incubus_pantomime wrote:No, I'm not trying to garner pity, though my comment was admittedly very passive-aggresive. What I'm trying to say is that I am not a sparkle pony Birgin that lives in luxury and is gaming the system so I can party for a week in the desert. I want to do this right, and I want to stand up for all Birgins who are doing the same as me. I am going to ask any and all questions I have so that I can arrive on the playa and (hopefully) be mistaken for a veteran because I'm so well prepared. That's what my comment was getting at. Consider the passive-agressiveness as residual hurt from being a temporary punching bag of sorts.

Coupla things here....

A) Why do you give two shits about what anyone thinks of you? Show up, be yourself, and have the time of your life.
B) As for eplaya, if you are even remotely hurt or offended by whats said here, I have some doubts you are ready for the "real" playa. Are you ready for someone to yell obscenities at you through a bullhorn? If so, whats the difference between that and a few snarky remarks to your posts?
C) If you have never been to the playa, what makes you think you are going to be well prepared? The playa can and will chew you up and spit you out, and to claim that you will be mistaken for a veteran is not only naive, but potentially dangerous. Treat the playa with respect and reverence.

Okay, because I am a nursely and caring person who wants to be helpful, I will expand on Ranger Magnum's post here.

i_p, aside from your unfortunate choice of username, what makes you a magnet for mockery here are your desperate bids for attention. Stop thinking about yourself for a second and listen up:

BRC is an attentional economy. The big "winners" are the ones that capture the most attention. Competition is constant and high-energy 24/7. Nobody, in that environment, NOBODY is going to pay much attention to you, even if you strip naked, paint yourself blue, and scream epithets at everybody. Really.

If lack of attention is going to be a problem for you, or drive you to generate interpersonal drama to fill the lack, STAY THE FUCK HOME.

So, to reinforce Ranger Magnum's important points above:

A) Do not care what we think. We do not care what you think. Thinking < Talking < Doing.

B) If you don't want negative attention, stop dramatizing yourself.

C) You seem way too concerned with your image. Stop obsessing about this and focus on the real challenges you will face. The playa does not care, and can kill you; worse, your carelessness can harm others. Grow up or stay home.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby delle » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:57 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
ranger magnum wrote:
incubus_pantomime wrote:No, I'm not trying to garner pity, though my comment was admittedly very passive-aggresive. What I'm trying to say is that I am not a sparkle pony Birgin that lives in luxury and is gaming the system so I can party for a week in the desert. I want to do this right, and I want to stand up for all Birgins who are doing the same as me. I am going to ask any and all questions I have so that I can arrive on the playa and (hopefully) be mistaken for a veteran because I'm so well prepared. That's what my comment was getting at. Consider the passive-agressiveness as residual hurt from being a temporary punching bag of sorts.

Coupla things here....

A) Why do you give two shits about what anyone thinks of you? Show up, be yourself, and have the time of your life.
B) As for eplaya, if you are even remotely hurt or offended by whats said here, I have some doubts you are ready for the "real" playa. Are you ready for someone to yell obscenities at you through a bullhorn? If so, whats the difference between that and a few snarky remarks to your posts?
C) If you have never been to the playa, what makes you think you are going to be well prepared? The playa can and will chew you up and spit you out, and to claim that you will be mistaken for a veteran is not only naive, but potentially dangerous. Treat the playa with respect and reverence.

Okay, because I am a nursely and caring person who wants to be helpful, I will expand on Ranger Magnum's post here.

i_p, aside from your unfortunate choice of username, what makes you a magnet for mockery here are your desperate bids for attention. Stop thinking about yourself for a second and listen up:

BRC is an attentional economy. The big "winners" are the ones that capture the most attention. Competition is constant and high-energy 24/7. Nobody, in that environment, NOBODY is going to pay much attention to you, even if you strip naked, paint yourself blue, and scream epithets at everybody. Really.

If lack of attention is going to be a problem for you, or drive you to generate interpersonal drama to fill the lack, STAY THE FUCK HOME.

A) Do not care what we think. We do not care what you think. Thinking < Talking < Doing.

C) You seem way too concerned with your image. Stop obsessing about this and focus on the real challenges you will face. The playa does not care, and can kill you; worse, your carelessness can harm others. Grow up or stay home.

Dammit, MDF. And I JUST sent her an email saying it looked like things had turned around for her!!!!

:roll:
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby tamarakay » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:33 am

MyDearFriend wrote:

This could be said to several people currently, some continually.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Clar-i-ty » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:47 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
ranger magnum wrote:

Coupla things here....

Oh MDF, someone must have handed you a can opener for that Whoop Ass you keep on the shelf right next to the canned unicorn meat. (for the record it's better braised)

Hope to see you this year.

Best,
Clarity
Clar-i-ty

Postby incubus_pantomime » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:52 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
ranger magnum wrote:

Coupla things here....

Not trying to garner attention. Just stating an opinion. :wink:

Noted. Moving on.
"I think perhaps love thrives on unlikely circumstance and chance : life thrives on these principles, and is life not love? And love not life?"
incubus_pantomime

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Lamplighters (thanks, guys and gals!)

Postby Clar-i-ty » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:13 am

Don't mind us. We are an ornery bunch. And you'll understand more once you've been there.

The principle I carry with me (or at least try to) in the default world, year round, is Radical Self Reliance. I think many on this board do the same. It's a speck in your neighbors eye kind of thing.

Be open minded, be honest with yourself and be prepared as best you can. That's all you need to know.
Clar-i-ty

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:00 am

yes, this is like crossing the meridian.

we all switch off being the Admiral.

once you crawl thru the garbage and get your ass spanked you DO get to suck a cherry out of SOMEONES belly.

maraschino too.

welcome to e-playa. :)
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby DrYes » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:36 am

incubus_pantomime wrote:Not trying to garner attention. Just stating an opinion. :wink:

Noted. Moving on.

You're not the drama queen here as far as I'm concerned, at least. It's the folks trying to scare you and slamming you for no good reason, as if the playa is a survivalist situation that requires expert preparation. All it takes is moderate organizational skills and the ability to read a couple documents online. The first year I went, I didn't decide to go until the 1st week in August, and nobody in my camp knew I wasn't a veteran unless I told them. This is not a hardcore survivalist situation where you're walking the edge and can slip off with any misstep. You're not being dropped off in a forest for a weekend with nothing but a knife. You're not sailing across open ocean for a couple weeks alone. Yes, accidents happen to people, sometimes as a result of being unprepared, but the same can be said of any environment that has 50k+ people in it, including your average urban environment. Just read the documents you've obviously already read, make sure you have a shade structure, some food, plenty of water, some way to light yourself at night, some other obvious shit (a cup, a fork, and a bowl are all good) and you're good to go.

Also, don't listen to the guy that told you that if you can't handle the negativity here you'll have a hard time on the playa. The attitudes exhibited by the louder folks on eplaya are almost diametrically opposed to what you'll find from most people in BRC. Most of these people wouldn't ever act like that towards you face to face either - <insert standard bit here about how the relative anonymity of the internet produces asshole-ish behavior>.
Burning Man 2013 video || Burning Man 2013 photos
Burning Man 2012 video
Burning Man 2011 video

"We'll never leave, look at us now, so in love with the way we are."
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Tasty Bits (w/ the Stimulus Tree)

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:58 am

Nail = hit on head.

I constantly, silently shake my head at what the playa is made out to be sometimes. Yeah it gets hot, yeah it gets dusty.. but for chrissakes.. it's a parking lot with 50k+ people in it. It's not the moon. The best kind of shoes to wear? Whatever the hell you would normally wear! Would an e-cig work out there?! If it works in defaultia.. then by golly.. it'll work out there!

Bring enough crap for your own self to last a week, and you're fine.
Last edited by junglesmacks on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:00 am

This is not a hardcore survivalist situation where you're walking the edge and can slip off with any misstep. You're not being dropped off in a forest for a weekend with nothing but a knife. You're not sailing across open ocean for a couple weeks alone.

you obviously did not attend the event in the early-mid nineties.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:03 am

yes, that whole edgy "I COULD die at any moment" feeling has been lost thru years...

*sigh*...
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby wh..sh » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:05 am

DrYes wrote:Also, don't listen to the guy that told you that if you can't handle the negativity here you'll have a hard time on the playa. The attitudes exhibited by the louder folks on eplaya are almost diametrically opposed to what you'll find from most people in BRC. Most of these people wouldn't ever act like that towards you face to face either - <insert standard bit here about how the relative anonymity of the internet produces asshole-ish behavior>.

LOL! this is true, because all we do on playa is sit in a circle, hug, and give kisses :roll:

We actually had 4 people get on our MV who were smoking on a propane filled vehicle. We took them all the way back and dumped their asses.
We didnt tell them the reason. We just parked and left. They sat for an hour thinking we would leave again.
After an hour, they cursed us and walked all the way back.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby illy dilly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:07 am

wh..sh wrote:
DrYes wrote:Also, don't listen to the guy that told you that if you can't handle the negativity here you'll have a hard time on the playa. The attitudes exhibited by the louder folks on eplaya are almost diametrically opposed to what you'll find from most people in BRC. Most of these people wouldn't ever act like that towards you face to face either - <insert standard bit here about how the relative anonymity of the internet produces asshole-ish behavior>.

LOL! this is true, because all we do on playa is sit in a circle, hug, and give kisses :roll:

Thats not the only thing we do in a circle!!!! :twisted:
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby H.G.Crosby » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:08 am

Don't Worry,

we have plans to bring back the Scary and Unpredictable.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Postby wh..sh » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:10 am

illy dilly wrote:
wh..sh wrote:

For instant bonding :wink:
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:11 am

don't tell them about Operation Massive Fucking Dust Storm that Lasts Two Fucking Days

you'll spoil the surprise.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:11 am

Please keep your incessant hippie whining about irrelevant crap to one-liners. Even the "Fuck!" thread has become a pity party.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby illy dilly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:14 am

wh..sh wrote:
illy dilly wrote:
wh..sh wrote:LOL! this is true, because all we do on playa is sit in a circle, hug, and give kisses :roll:

For instant bonding :wink:

Both Socially and physically
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:14 am

fucking perverts.

go post that shit on the Coachella forum boards.
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby DrYes » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:27 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:
This is not a hardcore survivalist situation where you're walking the edge and can slip off with any misstep. You're not being dropped off in a forest for a weekend with nothing but a knife. You're not sailing across open ocean for a couple weeks alone.

you obviously did not attend the event in the early-mid nineties.

I didn't, but even then you still had a social safety net thousands of people wide, and I'm willing to bet that most of them were very nice people who really didn't want to see anyone die or get seriously injured and would go out of their way to help ensure that doesn't happen.

Being unprepared is more likely to result in someone else having to go out of his/her way to help you than it is to actually do any serious damage to you. It certainly behooves people to prepare and it's kind of rude not to insofar as it does force others to take their time to bail you out of your fuck-up, but nobody's perfect and everybody needs help sometimes.
Burning Man 2013 video || Burning Man 2013 photos
Burning Man 2012 video
Burning Man 2011 video

"We'll never leave, look at us now, so in love with the way we are."
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Tasty Bits (w/ the Stimulus Tree)

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:50 am

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:yes, that whole edgy "I COULD die at any moment" feeling has been lost thru years...

*sigh*...

If you haven't "almost died" recently, then you're not trying to be alive.
That don't make a whole bunch of sense of course.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:57 am

I will take this opportunity to remind everyone that I tried so hard to die a few years ago that I can coast for a good long while to come.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:59 am

You're so edgy, Fishy.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Elorrum » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:41 am

Bob wrote:Please keep your incessant hippie whining about irrelevant crap to one-liners. Even the "Fuck!" thread has become a pity party.

I'm making a mean costume. A fucking bad ass kick you in the balls, bite your head off shit down your neck, fucking mean costume. Not the sort of thing I usually wear. I hope you like it, Bob.

edit to add: I'm not myself today. sorry.
Last edited by Elorrum on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby trilobyte » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:00 pm

As others have said, I wouldn't worry about staples. Same with wire, though make sure it's not got some kind of plastic or rubber coating. Anything that's not consumed or vaporized in the heat of the fire would be picked up by the magnetic rakes that the temple crew uses to clean the burn scar at the end of the event. If what you plan to leave behind is a bit more exotic or questionable, you may want to look up the temple guardians and reach out to them as we get closer to the event.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Savannah » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:03 pm

Elorrum wrote:
Bob wrote:Please keep your incessant hippie whining about irrelevant crap to one-liners. Even the "Fuck!" thread has become a pity party.

I'm making a mean costume. A fucking bad ass kick you in the balls, bite your head off shit down your neck, fucking mean costume. Not the sort of thing I usually wear. I hope you like it, Bob.

He won't. :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:19 pm

Please note that supergluing your overinflated willy to the Temple is not allowed, Elorrum, given that the implants contain synthetics.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks