Generator/RV Question

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Generator/RV Question

Postby jcliff » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:08 pm

I apologize for what is bound to be a stupid question. I have a new RV (71' Chevy Sportscoach) and I bought it with a generator but it is old and VERY loud. I actually haven't seen the RV yet, it's being stored in NV, but I am heading out there in a couple weeks.

I wanted to buy a Champion Power Equipment 3500/4000-Watt Generator. My question is, the maunual says that there is a 110V power cord. The Champion's power outlets are 120V. Are these compatible? If so, do you think this size generator is going to be large enough for my rig? I'm not going to be sucking a lot of juice. I mainly need the generator to keep the battery charged, lights, hot water heater and such.

Thanks!
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Re: Generator/RV Question

Postby ygmir » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:12 pm

jcliff wrote:I apologize for what is bound to be a stupid question. I have a new RV (71' Chevy Sportscoach) and I bought it with a generator but it is old and VERY loud. I actually haven't seen the RV yet, it's being stored in NV, but I am heading out there in a couple weeks.

I wanted to buy a Champion Power Equipment 3500/4000-Watt Generator. My question is, the maunual says that there is a 110V power cord. The Champion's power outlets are 120V. Are these compatible? If so, do you think this size generator is going to be large enough for my rig? I'm not going to be sucking a lot of juice. I mainly need the generator to keep the battery charged, lights, hot water heater and such.

Thanks!

yes, compatible most electric stuff is 110-120 V
you genny is ok, assuming all normal loads in the RV. Although it may struggle to start an A/C unit if it's an older one and very large.
Are you saying it has an electric water heater? if so, something like that is a huge power draw, you'll want to check the specs. But, I'd be surprised if it's electric, most I've seen are propane.
a good check is to see what size genny is coming out...........and use that size, or bigger.

good luck.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby jcliff » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:17 pm

Thanks! The generator coming out is 4000watt, so I figured I'd be ok. The manual says that the water heater is electric, but I'm not sure it's the original. If it is electric I guess I could just power it down. I don't need a hot shower on the playa (I've never had one before, why start now?)

Thanks for the input!
jcliff

Postby ygmir » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:25 pm

and remember, the Champion, will not hold a 4 K load for very long.
that's "peak" power..........It should say somewhere what sustained load is.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:59 pm

Is'nt sustained load about 1/2 of the 4k?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby ygmir » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:39 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Is'nt sustained load about 1/2 of the 4k?

I think the allow a sustained load probably around 3K or so........I know it's a fair amount lower than "peak", but don't think it's half.......although for sustained, I don't know I'd want to run a long way over half.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:53 pm

Yup, I was thinking of inverters. :lol:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Stickygreen » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:05 pm

to the best of my knowledge Champion does not make quiet inverter type generators.

if you are replacing the generator hoping to reduce your noise output, then look into an inverter type generator. Honda's eu series is where it's at.
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:25 am

Yup, those are some loud gennys, we used one at the Booby Bar.

But , they are really cheap.

With gennies you get what you pay for.

If you are just gonna keep things charged a Honda EU2000 will be plenty of power, and will use 1/10 the amount of gas.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby jcliff » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:04 am

Yea, I looked at the hondas but I can't afford $1,200. I should only need to run this about 2 hours a day at most. I do have a generator compartment in the RV. Hopefully the neighbors will be ok if I run it from noon - 2 or so. I figure people will be up from last night but not yet down for a nap.
jcliff

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:09 am

They are $900ish at Wise sales. free shipping.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:52 pm

Run a dryer hose (about 10') from the exhaust pipe up the side of your RV. Reduces some of the noise and disperses the exhaust up high instead of at ground level.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby EspressoDude » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:41 pm

The generator coming out of the RV is likely an ONAN which is designed to run all day long in the confined space and has cooling to do that. The cheap ones are basically a loud lawn mower engine intended to run in open air. A lot of the noise is radiated from the cylinder fins. Runing these cheepo generators in confined space will soon lead to ....silence
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Return to Power & Illumination