Does it make any sense?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Does it make any sense?

Postby jkisha » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Considering that tickets are all SOLD OUT, does it make any sense to even have a tickets wanted forum this year? I can't see any worthwhile purpose for it other than cluttering the board and providing a perverse sort of entertainment to the old timers reading and commenting on the pathetic and hopeless post therein.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Does it make any sense?

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Well, the "tickets offered" is there to facilitate "at face + expenses" selling of tickets, and "tickets wanted" might be seen as a natural yin to that yang.

And if it weren't so close to bedtime I might be able to do more than restate the party line.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jkisha » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:40 pm

I can see the point of a tickets offered forum. That makes total sense to me. Tickets wanted? Rediculous.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby International Incident » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:01 pm

I can see the point - say you want to sell a ticket but don't want to deal with the deluge of responses you will get so you just contact someone in the "I want to buy" forum

That makes sense to me
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby lemur » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:27 am

CRISWELL PREDICTS:

"gonna give this a bump over to [open discussion/ticket discussion/policy discussion]"
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Minxy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:49 am

I think it makes sense.

If I had an extra ticket to get rid of and none of my close friends/family/camp-mates needed it, my next go-to place for getting rid of it would be Eplaya.

Out of all the Eplaya members, I'd look for a person whose personality (from what I can gauge online) and posts I liked and enjoyed. If I saw one of those people asking for a ticket in this forum, I'd definitely offer it to them over a random stranger or STEP.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby Sham » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:02 am

lemur wrote:CRISWELL PREDICTS:

"gonna give this a bump over to [open discussion/ticket discussion/policy discussion]"

This appears to be related to "tickets wanted".
.....and YES it makes sense to post tickets wanted here. If someone is in need of a ticket, they would need to keep all the feelers out now. People cancel their plans for various reason, and unless you let people know you want one, then it will never happen.

I'm glad that JK asked the question, "does it make sense" as it actually does make sense!
Sham

Postby jkisha » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:25 am

Ya, it makes sense. Except it should have been titled "Snark Fest 2012". Have you read some of the responses to pleas for tickets? Really?
JK
jkisha

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:33 am

I've been doing my best to only post useful stuff here.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby haolegolucky » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:58 am

The plus of the "tickets wanted" section is at least the other areas of eplaya aren't filled with people talking about how they deserve tickets and how they will bring plursparklemagictarothealinghandsrawfoodcookingetcetcetc.
haolegolucky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby jkisha » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:01 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I've been doing my best to only post useful stuff here.

I'm sure this was sincere, but my first thought was to just reply: "Guilty conscience?" :shock: :oops: :oops:
JK
jkisha

Postby jkisha » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:02 am

haolegolucky wrote:The plus of the "tickets wanted" section is at least the other areas of eplaya aren't filled with people talking about how they deserve tickets and how they will bring plursparklemagictarothealinghandsrawfoodcookingetcetcetc.

Well that's one possible argument that makes sense to me. Sort of like fly paper for the ticketless.
JK
jkisha

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:04 am

jkisha wrote:

I'm sure this was sincere, but my first thought was to just reply: "Guilty conscience?" :shock: :oops: :oops:

Maybe. I do worry about the possibility of my scaring people off the board.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby ApolloPan » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:32 am

Speaking of issues which may or may not make sense, did anyone else see the Associated Press article regarding BM on probation by the BLM for exceeding the population cap last year? I was on the BLM's page earlier this month; not sure why this article was the first I've heard about a "probation." Is this the BLM holding out for more money or do we the community have a real problem here? Might just be a tempest in a tea cup; honestly just putting out feelers to see what the score is here.
ApolloPan

Postby jkisha » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:35 am

ApolloPan wrote:Speaking of issues which may or may not make sense, did anyone else see the Associated Press article regarding BM on probation by the BLM for exceeding the population cap last year? I was on the BLM's page earlier this month; not sure why this article was the first I've heard about a "probation." Is this the BLM holding out for more money or do we the community have a real problem here? Might just be a tempest in a tea cup; honestly just putting out feelers to see what the score is here.

So 35 seconds ago.
JK
jkisha

Postby delle » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:41 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
jkisha wrote:

Maybe. I do worry about the possibility of my scaring people off the board.

You are the least of their worries.

Until they try hugging you. I did that ONCE (I swear, my reasoning was overpowered by the excitement of the event. I'd been warned, dammit!!!). I PROMISE never to do it again.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:53 am

I'll just never forget the look I got after Fishy ran over my toe at the MnG.

"Move, asshole"

If I wasn't plonked for giving her shit about her Jon Madden-esque inane commentary at times, I'd still be getting the same virtual look.. I'm positive.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Drawingablank » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:01 pm

As several replies have mentioned, it serves several purposes:
1. It allows folks to make public their need for a ticket - particularly those of us who have not whined about it non stop for months.
2. Allows those with a spare ticket to pick who to sell it to rather than being inundated with PM's by posting in the offered thread or giving it to a random stranger through STEP. I'm sure you have noticed the crickets chirping in the tickets offered forum.
3. Gives those of us excluded from STEP yet another option.
4. Just because it is sold out, doesn't mean many tickets won't change hands before ttitd.
5. Any hope, regardless of how small a chance is better than just wallowing in despair and giving up.
6. Condensing them all into one forum area also makes sense on several levels.

Although this year I am on the needing side, next year I might have a spare - it is impossible to predict. If I had a ticket to spare and none of my family, friends, or campmates needed it I would much prefer to offer it to someone I know from eplaya (and by extension may even have met at the Meet & Greet) and I'm fairly sure many eplayans feel the same about that.

jkisha wrote:Ya, it makes sense. Except it should have been titled "Snark Fest 2012". Have you read some of the responses to pleas for tickets? Really?

Well if you notice, the ticket requests that have drawn the snark are very similar to the ones that drew a lot of snark last Summer. I'm kinda surprised no one has ressurected the ticket begging scoring system thread yet (or started a new one).
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby jkisha » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:05 pm

delle wrote:
Until they try hugging you. I did that ONCE (I swear, my reasoning was overpowered by the excitement of the event. I'd been warned, dammit!!!). I PROMISE never to do it again.

I'm probably going to get myself in trouble here, but your comment resonated with me from my first meeting with Fishy. We met, of course, at the meet-n-greet. I was excited to meet her and gave her a hug. I thought she was a bit stand-offish and really didn't understand why. I actually thought about that meeting several times over the next year. (I never got any hug warnings) so, the next year I just went over and hugged her again, and I hugged her again when I met her in camp this last year too. I'm pretty sure she hugged me back! :shock: :oops: :wink: I think she just takes awhile to warm up to some people. Plus she's sort of mysterious (maybe just guarded or private). I think she's the only person I have met, shared time and conversation with in person and here and on Facebook and I still don't know her real name!
Last edited by jkisha on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JK
jkisha

Postby tamarakay » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:08 pm

I hugged her too, and I probably will again as she has helped keep me sane these past few weeks. Sorry Fishy.

AND these ticket threads have served that same purpose. Made me fall in love with these snarky bastards all over again. Even that asshole cook got points.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby delle » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:16 pm

tamarakay wrote: Made me fall in love with these snarky bastards all over again. Even that asshole cook got points.

Ain't that the truth?

I get discouraged when newbies start to cry about how mean they are. It's like half the flavour of the place is lost to them.

The only real mean usually happens between longstanding members with issues. The rest is mostly just humour. Sick humour, yes, but humour nonetheless. It only really turns sour when it's not understood.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby BBadger » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:26 pm

Was there ever any real point to the "tickets wanted" forum other than entertainment? It's not like sellers are clamoring over buyers to get the best price on something that doesn't even exceed face value.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby ApolloPan » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:20 pm

So, shouldn't we logically have a "Do Not Want Tickets" thread?
ApolloPan

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:18 pm

ApolloPan wrote:So, shouldn't we logically have a "Do Not Want Tickets" thread?

or maybe "Tickets A-Z" :twisted:
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:26 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:or maybe "Tickets A-Z" :twisted:

So people can gift their non-transferrable tickets to someone else with the same name?
How conveeeeeeenient for me that my name is extremely common!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

(And, of course, if we hide this nefarious activity in plain sight, they'll never catch on.... OK, you first!)
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby wh..sh » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:20 am

junglesmacks wrote:"Move, asshole"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Made my day!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby trilobyte » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:31 pm

Moving this over to the Tickets Discussion thread, since that's a better fit.

To answer the question, yes it does. Last year's event sold out too, and after the sellout many people were able to make ticket connections on ePlaya. One of the things we determined after last year's event was that there would be great value in having separate boards for tickets wanted and tickets offered.

Why? No matter what we said, whether in an announcement or in responses to public threads, would stop (or even slow people down) with the ticket begging posts and threads. With just a single board for tickets, that effectively flooded that board and made it next to useless for everyone else. By breaking out discussions, wanted, and offered into their own boards, it's now easy to see the content you're interested in without seeing the content you're not interested. If you're not interested in the tickets wanted posts, don't surf that board. If you run across posts with ticket pleas elsewhere on the board, please flag the post and a moderator will get on it.

Are peoples' chances good? No, of course not. While there were a few exceptions, I believe that the vast majority of sellers will not look at the tickets wanted boards at all. Last year, sellers posted that they had tickets available and within hours had over a hundred PM responses as well as replies in their thread. I expect that will be the case this year too.

Why did we open the boards up now and not wait until June? The ticket team has started processing ticket order transfers. That means people who want to sell their tickets to specific people (instead of putting them into STEP) can now complete that sale.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Savannah » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Minxy wrote:I think it makes sense.

If I had an extra ticket to get rid of and none of my close friends/family/camp-mates needed it, my next go-to place for getting rid of it would be Eplaya.

Out of all the Eplaya members, I'd look for a person whose personality (from what I can gauge online) and posts I liked and enjoyed. If I saw one of those people asking for a ticket in this forum, I'd definitely offer it to them over a random stranger or STEP.

My take on the matter is similar:

1) friends/family/campmates (some of whom are ePlayans)
2) Known, liked, unmet ePlayan
3) STEP
4) Unknown ePlayan
5) Stranger
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby illy dilly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:02 pm

trilobyte wrote:Why? No matter what we said, whether in an announcement or in responses to public threads, would stop (or even slow people down) with the ticket begging posts and threads. With just a single board for tickets, that effectively flooded that board and made it next to useless for everyone else. By breaking out discussions, wanted, and offered into their own boards, it's now easy to see the content you're interested in without seeing the content you're not interested.

So Trylobyte, basically what you're saying is-

jkisha wrote: Sort of like fly paper for the ticketless.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby trilobyte » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:39 pm

Maybe not flypaper as much as a bucket. ;) It's someplace for people to post their longshots (and for us to put things people mis-post elsewhere).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Next

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion