E cig smokers?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

E cig smokers?

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:14 pm

I am thinking about switching over to an E cig. Any one else here smoke them? How has it worked on the playa for you?
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Re: E cig smokers?

Postby Eric » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:39 pm

Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:24 pm

I tried those for a while and was not impressed.

For all the claims of being healthier, they made me cough a lot more than real ciggs and were less satisfying. After I came across several articles mentioning they may not be as healthy as claimed since they are virtually unregulated - I dumped them (I would link the articles if I remembered where they were).
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby KrisMuffin » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:48 pm

Kinda have to agree with Drawainga blank. Im an on and off smoker mostly becasue they are $9 a pack here, and as a sounthern i just refuse to pay that price. I tried the crown lion brand and I think it taste funny, makes my throat scratchy, and is less stisfying. However, a friend of mine had one where you can mix your own flavors and it was AWESOME! Not only could you smoke it inside, but it was like his own portable hookah. In fact that's almost exactly what it's like. Smoking a hookah. Sadly, I don't have the time, money or skill yet to play around with to create my own, but one day maybe.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - W. Wonka
KrisMuffin

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:09 pm

How about switching to that super rad new fangled "green" e cig?

It's called clean air. Fuck yo' nicotine addiction.

Nasty.

"How do they work on the playa"? WTF do you think the playa is? Mars?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Savannah » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:40 pm

A friend of mine loooves the electronic cigarette. He's used it to cut back (hasn't quit though) and I have to say . . . it is much easier to invade his personal space when it's not smokey.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby KrisMuffin » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:48 pm

Savannah wrote:A friend of mine loooves the electronic cigarette. He's used it to cut back (hasn't quit though) and I have to say . . . it is much easier to invade his personal space when it's not smokey.

Truth! Since ive cut back and only do it in occasion or burst of time, being back in Nashville where you can still smoke inside is horrible. Though I'm in in love up New England, I really appreciate that aspect. The smell gets everywhere! But, it's an activity I actually enjoy it so I do indulge enery now and then. I used to smoke a churchwarden pipe and that I really miss (lost it=sad days).I was clearly born in then wrong century :lol:
KrisMuffin

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:00 pm

Maybe, maybe not. For a large chunk of the 20th century respectable women didn't smoke.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby KrisMuffin » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:14 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Maybe, maybe not. For a large chunk of the 20th century respectable women didn't smoke.

Who says I would have been a woman! :wink:

I think that depends on where/how you grew up. Though it may have been frowned upon, it doesnt mean woman didn't do. Also, I was born in the 20th century so If I could choose it would have in the later 19th.
KrisMuffin

Postby Savannah » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:19 pm

*rouges knees*
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:59 am

junglesmacks wrote:How about switching to that super rad new fangled "green" e cig?

Nasty.

Is there any reason you feel you need to be a D***? I was asking an Honest question. I wanted some opinions from people who know about them and have used them on the playa. Yeah the playa is im sure alot like mars. Windy, Dusty and barren. It's a damn electrical device. Im sure the playa dust could fuck it up. Also there is far more crap in the air then Ecig. So I would be better off smoking that then breathing now a days.
tattoogoddess

Postby Bluemandrew » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:58 am

tattoogoddess wrote:I am thinking about switching over to an E cig. Any one else here smoke them? How has it worked on the playa for you?

My buddy gave a few ecigs out to people a couple years ago and no one had a problem with them IIRC.
Bluemandrew

Postby shykat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:17 am

junglesmacks wrote:How about switching to that super rad new fangled "green" e cig?

Nasty.

Hard to quit, real hard.. do you smoke .JS? You should quit (enter your habit here) as well cuase i'm sure someone thinks it's nasty.

It is an horrible habit, i have yet to try e-cig with a good pull. I'm sure there is one and it probally is way too expensive.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby haolegolucky » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:28 am

I'd say get one now and try it out.

The thing with the playa is you want to avoid moop, and frankly cigarette butts stink, so carrying them around with ya kind of sucks (I imagine.) So an e-cig would eliminate the waste aspect of smoking.

Plus, they tend to not stink and not piss off the people around you.
haolegolucky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby delle » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:03 am

Seems to me by talking with e-smokers here (as I'm kinda-sorta considering this myself), there are a few more things to consider than just how the playa might kill it.

1 thing is that finding your "flavour" is a bit of a hit and miss thing. I don't know if your region has a place where you can buy cartridges one at a time or something, but it seems that that would be pretty helpful. (here, I'd have to order it online, and in bulk, so I'd have to know beforehand). I've heard more than one person say that the menthol flavours are by far the less icky -- even if you're not a menthol smoker normally - and that the "normal" ones are tinted with vanilla, which is hard to get used to.

Another thing is that by all accounts these things aren't really cigarette replacement tools -- because the flavour and experience really isn't the same. You'll still reach for the real thing, if that's what you're craving. If you're wanting something to help you QUIT, it's a viable option.

That said, though, so are Nicorette cartidges. Bought at the pharmacy for way less than the e-cigarette, it's basically a plastic tip like found on a cigarello, in which you pop a nicotine cartridge to puff on when you need a hit. (bonus is that --here at least-- if you're really intent on quitting, insurance will pay for a normal several-months course of them once every two-or-three years)

Another bonus is that for those of us who are allergic to glue (and MAN, am I allergic to the glue on those things), Patches are not an option. The gum gives me instantly debilitating heartburn. The cartridges are really not that bad.

Neither cartridges nor ecigarettes will really replace your need for real ones tho, unless you've got the mind to make it happen --- and this is stated by someone who does NOT have that mind as yet.

And all THAT said........... I found I smoked waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than normal on-playa. When you're constantly booting around on your bike and busy doing stuff in dense crowds, you kind of forget you even want one. YMMV
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:21 am

tattoogoddess wrote:Also there is far more crap in the air then Ecig. So I would be better off smoking that then breathing now a days.

It's better than it used to be. You can thank the Clean Air Act, and the EPA.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby tamarakay » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:02 pm

I was a pack a day smoker. I quit. It was hard. Harder than quitting drinking. Harder than quitting other things. It is possible.

And if cigarettes cost $5.00 a pack (which is low from what I understand) then you could pay for an entire trip to burningman by your savings from one year of not smoking.

(US$ 5.00) x 365 = 1825 U.S. dollars

Not to mention the obvious health benefits.

The American Cancer Society has assistance for people who want to quit and are serious about quitting. Call them.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby delle » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:09 pm

Uhhuh.....

Except that I'd be going alone, as the freshly divorced Queen Bitch of the NonSmokers!

I get downright evil without my nicotine.

Horrible evil.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby tamarakay » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:14 pm

But Delle, the horrible is temporary. Mine lasted two weeks. Emphysema is forever.

I know, I know. Your life, your business.

I have no problem with people choosing to smoke. I just have less sympathy about the consequences. Sounds harsh I know, but there it is.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Outryder » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:50 pm

They are much better than tobacco cigs. Any e cigarette will do in the beginning. They taste different and just got to try different flavors til you find one you like. I use an advance e smoke and have a few different ones. Try to stay away from some of the self branded sites.....paying way too much. Try a few disposable ones an see if you even like it. Takes a bit of getting use to. The best ones are the refillable e smoke such as the ones from esmokedepot.com or sincityelectriccigarette.com. in the long run, these kinds are better and cheaper than buying cartomizer cartridges like for blucig and such. Although they tend to be hassle free and leak free, you pay for a old technology atomizer each time. With the advanced e cigarettes, you only pst for e juice.
Outryder

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Took me a long weekend in bed to get over the worst, then *hate* carried me through -- hating the smoke shops, hating the corner stores, hating the money drain, hating the stink and yellow gunk and gray coating of ash anywhere I'd smoked, hating the weeks of expelling noxious plegm, etc. Lucky I didn't start until my late 20s. Peer pressure.

Usual concerns re: any devices would be losing them, breaking them, and battery problems. Imagine with e-cigs you'd want enough ready for a half-day to a day's use, a brand that doesn't have the appearance of drug paraphernalia, and redundant charging devices.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:01 pm

Sooooo I ended up buy a Blue CIg starter kit last night and a cart of 5 menthols. It is quite a bit diff as it is heavier and the "smoke" is a bit different. I don't get tha throat hit im looking for. BUT I have not had a real cig in about 20 hours. I have not gotten the crankyness from when I quit normally. Im only really craving that full hit as I found I cant pull all that much. I dont have strong enough lungs. But yeah im liking it and it will take some getting used to. I am just really wondering how this will work out there sense it is a peice of electronics. seems to be pretty sealed. Maybe keep it in a zip lock?

I am going to buy some e liquid later today from the same company that supplys blu's carts. There are a bunch of videos out there on how to refill the blu carts. Is breaks down to about all the smoking you want for $10 if you buy refill e liquid. Not to bad!
tattoogoddess

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:03 pm

Bob wrote:and redundant charging devices.

They said with blu you can smoke about "one pack" per battery charge. the "pack" will charge the batteries six times before it needs to be charged. So 6 pack before the whole thing needs 3 hours to charge up. Not great but ok. Im a pack a day person. So I can go almost the whole week on one charge.
tattoogoddess

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:57 pm

If that kit works out, might at least add a USB cigarette lighter adapter so you could use their USB charger, and get a few extra batteries.

I've had tool chargers crap out on me out there, could have been the dust, probably dirty power from portable generators. Not sure what all the issues might be with e-cigs.

Bob

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:12 pm

Second thread Eric posted seems useful. Dude's device turned itself on in his pocket when he was in front of some speaker stacks, and burnt his leg.

Bob

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:06 pm

*standard post "leg" fishy post*
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby nol » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:23 pm

For what it's worth, I quit at BRC last year....I strongly suggest it as an option.

24 year habit. 2 Packs per day.
Not my first time attempting to quit, but definitely the first time I feel I might have succeeded.

The setting turned out to be really favourable:
Many experiences that took me out of my daily routine conspired to give me a chance at success.
-Long plane ride.
-Couch surfing at non smoking friend in LA while packing trucks.
-Longer ride from LA to BRC.
-No cigarettes packed, and none for sale at BRC.
-BRC offers plenty to occupy mind and body, and blow off excess steam.

All in all BRC is such a dramatic change of context and routine that the addiction never got the chance to get the upper hand.
By the time I re-entered defaultia the thought of smoking never crossed my mind again.
Honestly, I never looked back.

My 2 cents.
nol

Postby AntiM » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:35 am

I've seen posts on FB from a friend who mixes his own cartridges... he feels some of the flavors are not so good for his health. I'll ask for a reason/link to information for his opinion. I know he has struggled with quitting and is very pleased with the ecigs.

As a non-smoker with asthma, who can get an attack from second hand smoke residue on clothing, I need to be around ecigs to see if they're a trigger. Even though they aren't smoke, I can never tell what's going to make me gasp and wheeze ... and yes, hookah vapors can set me off.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby illy dilly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 am

tattoogoddess wrote: Im only really craving that full hit as I found I cant pull all that much. I dont have strong enough lungs. But yeah im liking it and it will take some getting used to.

I hate to say, but, I don't think you'll get that "full hit" you're looking for.
A buddy of mine has switched to the e-cigs. He made the switch about a year ago, at first he got a cheaper one they sell at the stands in the mall. He liked it a lot, so he order a pretty expensive one off the internet. Its supposed to be more expensive up front, but cheaper in the long run. I'll ask him what each brand of e-cig was, when I see him next.
Both the cheap version and the expensive version don't give you that full flavor and hit of a real cigarette. I personally don't like them at all. They are too heavy, and wont stay between my lips, the flavor and 'strength' just aren't there either. It leaves something to be desired.
When we're drinking, he says the same thing. But for the day to day it works very well for him. He's down to only smoking real cigarettes on either Friday or Saturday nights.

I'm really glad that you are enjoying the Blue Cig! And well done on making it 20 hours!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Harinama » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:52 pm

Really for that week, folks should not "smoke" anything. Our lungs are hammered by the dust. So yes, an ecig would be a much better choice, and portable vapes for cannabis.

Best choice? Quit smoking. REALLY.

I quit 4 months ago(smoked for a year after quitting for 7), never to go back. It was not that hard after the first week.

You CAN do it!

All the $$ you save will pay for your bm ticket...
Harinama Das
"inner peace is but a universe away"
Harinama

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks