Art supplies, functional usage thereof

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Art supplies, functional usage thereof

Postby bohemianish » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:02 pm

I will definitely (no 'almost' qualifier here) be making art while on the playa, of the 2D variety. Drawing, painting, that sort of thing.

Would paints get too dusty, or brushes too annoying to keep clean? (I suppose dusty paint would be its own kind of fascinating medium, now that I think about it) (thinking and typing at the same time) (deal with it)

Would crayons melt?

Would pencil shavings run the risk of MOOPin' it up if not perfectly and consistently contained?

Am I wildly overthinking this? (first timer) (in case you haven't already guessed) (hush now)

Any anecdotes about successful or unsuccessful experiences with small-scale art media are entirely welcome.
bohemianish

Burning Since: 2012

Re: Art supplies, functional usage thereof

Postby stinkyfoot » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:23 pm

I bet oil pastels would hold up nicely, pencil shavings an be contained with an enclosed pencil sharpener. Paints... eh, probably fine if you have a playa only set but account for shorter working times than you're used to. With acrylics you'd probably want synthetic brushes and a proper brush cleaning solution instead of water.
stinkyfoot

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Pencil shavings can be burned in the community burn barrels on the esplanade. Brush cleaning generates a mess and the dust is hard on brushes and can foul non-dry canvases. Painters may better capture photos and paint at home.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:29 pm

Good of you to recognize that pencil shavings make MOOP. 8)

As far as paint brushes go, you would probably be better off using them as knitting needles. This might be a good time to try the kind of paint that comes in sticks.

My best advice to a first time Burner is, to leave your options open and not bring too much stuff. I don't know what you will find to do in BRC, but the best thing to do in BRC is something you have never done before.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:10 pm

bohemianish wrote:I will definitely (no 'almost' qualifier here) be making art while on the playa, of the 2D variety. Drawing, painting, that sort of thing.

Would paints get too dusty, or brushes too annoying to keep clean? (I suppose dusty paint would be its own kind of fascinating medium, now that I think about it) (thinking and typing at the same time) (deal with it)

Would crayons melt?

Would pencil shavings run the risk of MOOPin' it up if not perfectly and consistently contained?

Am I wildly overthinking this? (first timer) (in case you haven't already guessed) (hush now)

Any anecdotes about successful or unsuccessful experiences with small-scale art media are entirely welcome.

Have you ever camped anywhere? In your life? Where do you live?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby BBadger » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:20 pm

Please note that beating your brush should not be done over the playa.

"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby trilobyte » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:31 pm

As long as you're using some kind of shelter/wind break, as well as a dropcloth (so no drips or spills hit the playa), everything should be manageable. I used to bring art supplies out with the intention of painting/drawing on the playa, but with so many amazing things and people out there to see, experience and connect with it fell to the bottom of my priorities and I brought them home unused every single time. I still bring out art supplies (paint, brushes, tools, materials), but it's just to either finish up or touch up another piece.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby bohemianish » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:01 am

stinkyfoot wrote:I bet oil pastels would hold up nicely, pencil shavings an be contained with an enclosed pencil sharpener. Paints... eh, probably fine if you have a playa only set but account for shorter working times than you're used to. With acrylics you'd probably want synthetic brushes and a proper brush cleaning solution instead of water.

I like the suggestion of oil pastels. Thanks!

MyDearFriend wrote:As far as paint brushes go, you would probably be better off using them as knitting needles. This might be a good time to try the kind of paint that comes in sticks.

Knitting needles, chopsticks, hair sticks, tiny fencing foils for tiny duels at high noon...
bohemianish

Postby Eric » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:11 am

I would recommend watercolor pencils for your painting, and they make brushes for them that hold the water in the barrel. The brushes come in S-M-L for about $4 or $5 each. Maybe one or two permanent pens or brush-markers.

Personally I'd avoid oil pastels just because of the heat, and wouldn't even think of bringing out any paint other than watercolor (and the watercolor pencils give you much more versatility out there).

Just as an FYI, I've been bringing pens & journals out since my first year ('03) and have yet to use them except to exchange contact info. I'll still bring them, because you never know- this might be the year I draw!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Savannah » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:47 am

For writers, journallers, note takers--first: you probably wont regret taking just a few minutes to scribble notes of each day while you're there; names, camps, thoughts, feelings, new songs . . . and having a memo pad and pens To Go, so you can jot down email addresses, camp address, and quotes while you're out and about.

I have bad luck with ballpoint pens sometimes (dust gets into some models, but it doesn't happen with every pen). So I always have very fine tip marking pens as backup (as well as having the fatter markers for writing on the Temple). Markers sail across the page.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:48 pm

The trick smokers use with ash should adapt to pencil shavings. There's a horrendously horrible peppermint that comes in a tin... Playa ashtray... I was going to recommend pencils or watercolors, but Eric's right, watercolor pencils.

Anyway, best to think "sketchbook" than "opus magnum".
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Pish tosh... the Sharpie is the Official Pen of Burning Man.

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:19 pm

Some of us realize that we will never be able to compete with the masters in their home medium.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:16 pm

Bob wrote:Pish tosh... the Sharpie is the Official Pen of Burning Man.

True . . .

If you're wondering what the animal face is on the brunette and the text on the leg of the blonde are, they're both "Badgers"--the safe word of a certain ePlayan, who shall remain nameless, unless he's trying to collect 2012 Dominatrices (for which I wouldn't blame him).

*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby bohemianish » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:33 am

theCryptofishist wrote:The trick smokers use with ash should adapt to pencil shavings. There's a horrendously horrible peppermint that comes in a tin... Playa ashtray...

Good tip.

theCryptofishist wrote:Some of us realize that we will never be able to compete with the masters in their home medium.

Yep. I'm not a master even at home. :) Just a happy amateur.
bohemianish

Postby AntiM » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:38 pm

running the Home for Wayward Art, I handle a lot of art in many mediums and interact with a lot of artists. I've seen compact traveling watercolor kits used successfully, to full blown easels and oils out on the open playa. But it takes prep and planning.

AEZ has nude model camp.

I've seen plenty of painting on the playa, but all the cautions above apply. It is mess, the dust does interesting things, and you have to haul it around. Pastels and chalks are useless because the playa is chalk-like, and never use blackboard, it just looks like you dipped it in playa.

I have a pencil sharpener which has a catch compartment. I've brought acrylics, pens, pencils and my sketchbooks. I do draw quick sketches now and then, but in 12 years I have yet to hit my paints set ONCE. Just too distracted.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby robotland » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:19 am

Best art supply EVER? GOOP adhesive. Trust me!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby stinkyfoot » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:21 am

Eric wrote:Personally I'd avoid oil pastels just because of the heat, and wouldn't even think of bringing out any paint other than watercolor (and the watercolor pencils give you much more versatility out there).

I think pastels would be ok if kept them in a box with some humidifier gel or something so they didn't become dessicated and crumble into dust. Likewise store completed work in a box with tissue paper and humidifiers. You'd probably want to get some soft cotton pastel paper with a nice tooth to it, stored in a box with humidifier gel as well.

I'd think bringing some flow release and a tub of liquid medium would be the key to making acrylics work, same thing for oil paints and equivalent mediums and additives that increase working time and help with viscosity. Also, I'd bring a couple of different boards, papers and canvases to try painting on.

My assumption is that any fine art medium with a few exceptions is going to be high maintenance, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't attempt to bring your favorite thing out there.

Also, you can get pencil sharpeners with little shavings catches at any art store.
stinkyfoot

Postby FeetOfClay » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:07 pm

AEZ has nude model camp.

i need to research this!!! i am an art model (and I also do realistic figure drawing), and i've been wondering where to go to be someone's muse ;)

along the same lines, how do i participate in creating art with photographers? just as there is etiquette when photographing others (ask first, etc), what is the etiquette if I see a photographer working, and I want to be part of that? I am guessing the same of course (ask first), but are there theme camps also organized around bringing people together to create visual art?
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks