2012 Honorarium Art Grant Projects

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

2012 Honorarium Art Grant Projects

Postby trilobyte » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Here is a list of the 2012 honorarium art grant projects!. As I understand it, there were 350 submissions vying for funding. Lots and lots of amazing projects, while it's impossible to fund everything the list below has 45 projects and the temple receiving some funding. No project is fully funded, which means that many of these artists and build teams will be scrambling over the next few months to raise the money they need to bring their amazing work to the playa. If you're able to help, reach out to the artists to find out what you can do.

This is in addition to the 35 regional effigies that will be arranged in two concentric circles and make up Thursday night's CORE (circle of regional effigies) burn (that's right, 35 burns on Thursday night)!

I've done some looking around, and added links to the projects or artists below where I've found more info available. If you can help me fill in the info or have a better link for a particular project, PLEASE send me a private message or send me an email at trilo@burningman.com and I'll get this list updated.

Project Name - Artist Name - Hometown
Almost - Michael Christian - Berkeley, CA
Arc Harps - Jen Lewin - Boulder, CO
Bapteme De Feu 2.0 - Anton Viditz-Ward - Telluride, CO
Bicycle Arpeggio - George Rahi - Bellingham, WA
Burn Wall Street - Otto Von Danger - Oakland, CA
Char Wash - Christopher Schardt - Oakland, CA
City Of Lights - Gary Long - Los Angeles, CA
Dragon Smelter - Daniel Macchiarini - San Francisco, CA
EGO - Laura Kimpton & Michael Garlington - Vineburg, CA
Front Porch - Zac Carroll - Mill Valley, CA
Fusion Fire - Team What-Dat-Do - Seattle, WA
Harmonic Fire Pendula - Matthew Dockrey - Seattle, WA
Labyrinth Of Colorful Cloud - Rob Fischer - Brooklyn, NY
Luminous Passage 2.0 - Predock Frane Architects vs. Anderson - San Francisco, CA
Lune & Tide - Sarah Cockings & Laurence Symonds - London, UK (ePlaya thread)
Man Pavilion Pistil - Gregg Fleishman - Oakland, CA
MetaMorph - Chelsea Jenkins - Alta Loma, CA
Mooving Sculpture - David Boyer - Reno, NV
Murmuration - Jeff Maguire - Santa Monica, CA
Neverwas Haul - Shannon O’Hare - Vallejo, CA
Otic Oasis 2.0 - Gregg Fleishman (Artist) & Melissa Barron (Concept) - Oakland, CA
Perception In The Absence Of Reality - David Clay (playa name Egg Shen) - Seattle, WA
Pier 2 - Matt Schultz/The Pier Group - Carnelian Bay, CA (ePlaya thread)
Pins - Tom Woodall - Kennewick, WA
Pyropodium - Noah Rosenthal and Nathan Clark - Cleveland Heights, OH
Remembering Cap’n Jim - Dave Power - Pagosa Springs, CO (ePlaya thread)
Reno Star - Mark Szulgit - Sebastapol, CA
Serpent Twins - Jon Sarriugarte & Kyrsten Mate - Oakland, CA
Singularity Transmissions - Troy Stanley and TEAM RX/TX - Houston, TX
Star Seed - Kate Raudenbush - New York, NY
Starport 2.012 (Cafe Portal) - Carey Thompson - Novato, CA
Sub-Sonarium - Benjamin Carter & Daniel Yasmin - Oakland, CA
Sun Bugs - Adel Kerpely - Brooklyn, NY
Super Street Fire - Seth Hardy & Site 3 coLaboratory - Toronto, Canada
The Temple Of Juno - David Best - Petaluma, CA (ePlaya thread)
Tesseract - James Reinhardt & Scott Chico Raskey - Seattle, WA
Third Space at Burning Man - Alexander Rehn & Greutmann & Bolzern - San Francisco, CA
Through The Gorilla Glass - GUILD - Spencer Rand, Johnathan Wong, Andrea Ling, Patrick Svilans and Jonah Humphrey - Toronto, Canada
Timing Is Everything - Charlie Smith - Atlanta, GA
Transcendental Cube - Joseph Quinn - Los Angeles, CA
Tree Of Transformation - Dadara - Amsterdam, Netherlands (ePlaya thread)
Tree Of Transmutation - Kevin Christman - Talent, OR
Universe Revolves Around You - Zachary Coffin - Atlanta, GA (Video Preview)
Yoga Robot - Scott Harris - Telluride, CO
Zoa - Flux Foundation - San Francisco, CA
Zonotopia and the Two Trees - Rob Bell - San Francisco, CA

If I've made any typos or gotten any information wrong, I sincerely apologize. Send me a private message or an email at trilo@burningman.com with any corrections or changes.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: 2012 Honorarium Art Grant Projects

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:52 pm

I am in fricken love with Burn Wall Street in Black Rock City! The video is amazing! Can't wait to see it. I will deff donate to this one!
http://burnwallstreet.net/?p=56

http://www.singularitytransmissions.com/ also looks really cool. I hope they make it there.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

neat, now..we need a really rich guy

Postby lemur » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:48 pm

now we begin the beggins! ...cuz these grants dont fund it all...

how much ya think all of the krickstaters and indigoggleos and whateverthe heck elses will add up to this year?

a quick glance of the projects out there...already at about $250,000 being asked for... roughly half of which comes from the less than 10% of the honorarium projects that are publicly asking for funds, so far as i could tell.... and.. at this sort of early point in the year

add that 250k to the claimed $700,000 in grant funds.... nearly at $1,000,000 already.

one lame writer guy on the SFBG website claimed requests of over $4,000,000 between the nearly 350 applicants for these honorarium grants.

maybe burning man needs more rich ass guys... this art shit is expensive, apparently

Maybe Elon Musk can pay for it all... if his net worth is really $2,000,000,000 ... he'd only need to fork over a measly 0.2% of that worth to fund all of the burning man art for 2012 single handedly... or the Google doods.. or some other guy who needs a tax deduction.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:51 pm

(Haven't you noticed? Those guys don't need tax deductions. They pay nothing already...
Besides, I don't think you get deductions for art anymore...)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Hard to really say what kind of fundraising would be in play. The SFBG guy isn't really known for great research, I can't imagine that he actually personally tallied up the fundraising requests on all those applicants, and the applicant list isn't public… kind of smacks of pulling a number out of his ass, if you ask me.

I can say that a number of the honorarium recipient projects from last year's event were still working to pay off debt as late as January of this year. The big art costs a shitload, often shitloads more than the people on the projects may be planning for. My hope is that by getting the word out there sooner it gives them a bit more of a fighting chance at covering the bases (both in the fundraising and the getting people to help with the work departments). But beyond that I think it gets peoples' creative juices flowing. It'll inspire folks to get creative (or even more creative) on their own projects, or step up and help out on one of the hundreds and hundreds of other art projects we'll see and experience throughout the city or on the open playa.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 10, 2012 3:05 pm

Here's a glimpse of Zac Coffin's 'Universe Revolves Around You'

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Tue May 22, 2012 12:54 pm

And now we have a website for Luminous Passage 2.0 - check it out!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 31, 2012 2:24 am

Moze posted an interesting interview with Zachary Coffin (artist behind such playa awesomeness as Colossus and Temple Of Gravity, as well as this year's The Universe Revolves Around You), check it out.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby KiKi Maroon » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:32 pm

Hello all!
My performer name is KiKi, but my default name is Amberry :-) I am on "Singularity Transmissions" and am absolutely honored to be able to say that we are an honorarium project this year :-) "Singularity Transmissions" is a 40-foot sculptural interactive tower that resembles a flower pistil -- an homage to Burning Man's theme this year: Fertility 2.0. People can sing, scream, pray, laugh, play an instrument, or make any other possible sound into tin can phones, which will be set up in 15 pods around the base. The voices will be digitally recorded and then projected (in real time) into a listening chamber at the sculpture's base. These noises and silences will layer upon each other to echo the sounds of Burning Man. At the culmination of the festival, the tower will be burned down, but the audio and the memories will remain and be available in an open source website. We will have a 'best of' collection, but ALL the audio will be available online (15 channels, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, creating a kind of 'Burning Man Audio Time Capsule" ) Used as-is or remixed as desired; our hope is for artist, musicians, film makers, and performers to create new work with this material. Showing that while the physical is fleeting, inspiration only grows.
While the piece will be there for anyone and everyone to play with, we will be scheduling times for pre-planed pieces. We would like to get in contact with people who will be at there to help us create pieces. Singers, musicians, spoken word, chants, messages to the future, djs (we will have audio jacks), poets, writers, any groups of artist who would like to make a piece. This is a huge project that will take an entire community to be successful. We will be reaching out to people, but there are SO MANY wonderful artist here that we can not personally write everyone. If you are interested, please contact us.
Here is more info in an article that was just written :-) along with our video explaining more-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/0 ... 67748.html

Thank you!!!!
XoXo
KiKi
KiKi Maroon

Return to 2012 Art & Performance