Virgin Boston Burner!!!

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Virgin Boston Burner!!!

Postby jordan.king92 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Hey Guys!

I'm going to be a virgin burner this year from Boston, MA. I'm just trying to find the best/most price efficient ways to get to the playa from here. I've been looking up flights and they're all around $500 for round trip, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea of whether or not the price will decrease closer to the date?

Mostly I'm just looking for other Boston burners in this thread to get some ideas of the best ways to go about getting there, and getting all my supplies there. It seems like the most logical thing is to bring a few things from here, but then buy the essentials like food and water when I get in to Reno. Any advice will be AWESOMELY appreciated!

Thanks Guys!
jordan.king92

Re: Virgin Boston Burner!!!

Postby Savannah » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi Jordan! Welcome to the board.

I'm not sure on the best time to purchase a flight (someone else will likely have an opinion) but the following thread has slipped to the second page of the Transportation forum & has some info you might find helpful--if you haven't seen it already.

Cost & Logistic of Flying to Reno
viewtopic.php?t=52826&p=770401
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Sham » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:44 pm

Hello Jordan. I am from bean town as well. I think the cheapest flights are on Southwest, and the fares tend to fluctuate. I would look at all the air fares---especially on Tuesdays thru Thursdays. They really do go down substantially then. Also, depending where you are, you might consider looking at flying out of Providence. T.F.Green has some cheap-o flights out of there.
Sham

Postby 9ah » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:44 am

From NY tix are in the $300 range right now...

I believe there is a container that leaves from Boston, I'd try Google for more details or searching for the Boston Burners group...
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Huck » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:59 pm

Hey Jordan, I'm from CT and just booked my flight this week. I booked it on Southwest, leaving Providence to Reno, was just under $500. Thats really the cheapest i could find over the past couple months that fit into my arrival/departure times. I dont think anyone is anticipating prices going down anytime soon. As far as other travel plans, I rent a box truck in reno, rent a bike locally out there and do a big shop once i land.

Cheers.

Huck
Huck

Postby trilobyte » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Get in touch with the regional group or camps coming out of the region, they can help get you some info on freight options. I know a couple containers go out of NY, but also think a couple groups in the Boston area either do a freight container or may have space in a shared truck that can help you get your gear to/from the playa. Good luck, and welcome to ePlaya!!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:04 pm

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Sham » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Simon, I never knew that was there. Holy crappola!
Sham

Postby Cactus Pete » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:33 pm

Man, I really need to start reading ePlaya now and then.

Jordan King, Shambala and others, there is a large and thriving Boston Burner scene.
Most of us are gone out to the woods of VT right now for our Regional Burn, Firefly, but stuff happens all over New England all year long.
Boston FIGMENT is coming up and there are at least two CORE projects coming from the area (I know of one from Boston and one from Maine). Most of our long running camps are coming back (Steambath, Oasis47, AutoSub, KAOS...) and are still looking for help on a few projects.
Lots to get involved with and lots of cool people to meet.

Speaking of which, we have a meet & greet every single Tuesday night at the Cambridge Brewing Company.
Its a great place to chat about things like tickets and gett your gear out there too. Come say hi!

And Simon, thanks for posting the mailing list. Congrats on bringing RS back!
Cactus Pete

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: The Automatic Subconscious

Return to Transportation