The Temple of Juno: 2012

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Re: The Temple of Juno: 2012

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:04 am

I've never seen a David Best temple in person and I cannot express how thrilled I am about this! :D

Hey Lemur was the 2010 temple the one that looked like a pile of sticks in the shape of a playa snake sand dune? I think that sucked too.
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:05 am

That would be it, yes.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Savannah » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:17 pm

That thing was so hideous I couldn't WAIT to see it on fire.

But I respect experimentation. It was certainly . . . interesting.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby RedHeaven » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:27 pm

2010 is the only year I missed since 05. I thought the Flux Temp looked pretty neeto from pics. More interesting than 2006 David Best temple which was kind of disappointing and small to me, 05 my first temple wasnt overly amazing either. I heard all this stuff about DBest and was kind of let down, but it didnt matter I felt the temple energy and thats all that mattered. When I saw his work in 07 I was pretty wowed!

This is going to be my fav temple yet I just know it! last year was completely heart melting and jaw dropping but it did get a lot of attention which was a minor distraction. This one is going to be so beautiful and peaceful!

I hear ya about the eastern fixation but it is what it is, obviously DBest resonates with this style. I dont think of it either way but I see your point.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby Eric » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:31 pm

I honestly didn't mind 2010 too much (and it Burned beautifully), but 2005 & 2006 were godawful (esp 2006- "look Ma, I piled together wood scraps!"). The 2003 "Temple of Cardboard Tubing" was another "meh", but, again, had a lovely Burn.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:58 am

grum245 wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:This and that origami crane... it's going to be another Japanese year!

This was not lost on me and my Peace Crane crew. We're now extra jazzed up about the whole thing!

It will be a good chance to remember the Tōhoku earthquake.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:26 am

the 2004 temple was fucking awe-inspiring to see and intense when it went up into flames.

permanently seared into my mind.

it too was asian flavored.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby oscillator » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:26 am

Dr Jet Sinister wrote:Hey Lemur was the 2010 temple the one that looked like a pile of sticks in the shape of a playa snake sand dune? I think that sucked too.

So, please remind me, which year did you build a temple that didn't suck?

-oSc-
oscillator

Postby lemur » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:16 pm

screw off!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby lemur » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:26 pm

...i guess theres only like 10 people, or we can be generous and say 20 ? 30? total designers of temples who can really judge the quality of the art?..

should we count people who swung a hammer and didnt actually design it?

ok lets say 1000 people.. or maybe 2000 people.. who swung hammers

how about 3000 people are fit to judge whether or not the temple sucks?

should we include the truck drivers?

no, i think.. the temple is art, right..

yeah!! i think it being art allows it to be open to critique,.. to comments.. to opinions.. and ya know!! couldnt we use that logic both ways oscillator?

..i mean, if we arent qualified to say it sucked if we havnt designed a temple...... why should we be qualified to praise it!? of course! the perspective in not having built one is the same either way!

no.. i think its all good to give impressions of art anywhere, and on the playa, too.. even if you didnt built any temples, or sculptures or paint any paintings.
lemur

Postby Savannah » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:47 pm

Aye. Art is supposed to provoke thought or feeling . . . but the creator doesn't get to specify what kind. That's natural. And that's the risk you take. Any artist who's overly invested in being liked at all times should go a safer and more "traditional" route.

I didn't like the 2010 Temple, but I respected the person who made it for doing something interesting and different and nervy, even if I didn't like it.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby lemur » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:57 pm

indeed Savannah.. its inherent to art itself, we react to it.. in some way, praise, distaste, hate, rate.. confusion.. all many things

none of those things is really (in most cases) a critique on the effort that went in to building it.. the perspective of knowing how it was built, or made, or painted wont likely make you like it, if you didnt.. or hate it ..if you liked it..

its the thing you hear a lot about in creative endeavors ...

'if someone likes your art how hard you worked on it wont matter.. if they dont..telling them how hard you worked on it wont change their mind'

saying the 2010 temple, or any piece of art sucks.. or isnt great, or is awesome, and great..or could have been better is not inherently a critique on the effort that went in to making it.. the perspective of doing it yourself would surely show us how much one can care about a thing, or a project..but having an opinion on art certainly aint saying anything about the effort that goes in to making it..

cuz in the end, it doesnt matter how hard you worked on it.. its the final product that matters.. and no matter how much blood, sweat, tears and perspective gained in building it.. the only thing that matters is the art itself....the object.....well, unless you begin to consider the process of designing and building it as art... but then we get into the realm of performance art.. and im not sure thats what the temple is
lemur

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:19 pm

I feel like that post is like the sound of one hand clapping.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby lemur » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:49 pm

junglesmacks wrote:I feel like that post is like the sound of one hand clapping.

Starting Score: 1 point
Moderation +4
60% Interesting
20% Insightful
10% Overrated
10% Offtopic

Extra 'Funny' Modifier 0
Total Score: 5
lemur

Postby tink2011 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:11 pm

I would agree that the Temple 2010 wasn't my favorite, however, I went with a friend who was dying of cancer and that was the last temple he saw before he passed away. It moved him so greatly. He felt it was like the earth rising up and reaching out to him. It was beautiful to see him adoring the structure when I only saw something less moving. Each Temple speaks to each of us differently. Whatever it looks like this year, it will be amazing in it's own right. The Temple burns in 147 days. )"(
tink2011

The Temple needs your support...

Postby Sham » Tue May 15, 2012 6:33 pm

This years' amazing Temple is being built by David Best and his crew. They can use your support on Kickstarter to bring this incredible project to reality.
Here is a link and a preview of this years' Temple.
http://kck.st/KWMAKG
TEMPLE OF JUNO
Sham

Postby fbcota » Wed May 16, 2012 11:33 am

The temple seems like a hard place to experiment with. I loved the Temple of Flux, it was truly different and unique but I think people have a fairly clearly defined framework of what the temple "should" be. I think each years temple is put under similar scrutiny as the man base, maybe more, as it naturally creates a much deeper reaction within participants. The Temple has become tradition, and as such people become wary of major changes to the established norms.

The Pier Group is planning to make a stab at the temple in 2014 (you know, after we finish our giant boat) and our idea is a massive departure from the norm (had nothing to do with transposing a real world object in the dessert either) and could potentially be looked upon as something great, or a woeful waste of resources. I expect that we will see some serious backlash as it may be a too big of a change. But, the greatest building I have ever seen, "La Sagrada Familia" by Gaudi in Spain was initially considered an eyesore and as time marched on people began to love it. Of course, we really don't have the luxury of hindsight when we burn our buildings to the ground, but that is the wonderful nature of the temple.

The Temple of Juno looks like it will be a beautiful structure, just like the temples of Siam and Khmer it is clearly inspired by. I hope that maybe temple designs at burning man will fluctuate between being beautiful buildings for reflective worship one year, and massive experiments meant to challenge our relationships with the environment and each other the next year.
fbcota

Postby Sham » Fri May 18, 2012 9:03 pm

The fund raising for the Temple of Juno is just over 1/3 of the way there with 40 days to go.
Any donation no matter how small would be appreciated. Let's make this great art project a real community effort.
http://kck.st/KWMAKG
Sham

Postby RedHeaven » Fri May 18, 2012 10:25 pm

Savannah wrote:Aye. Art is supposed to provoke thought or feeling . . . but the creator doesn't get to specify what kind. That's natural. And that's the risk you take. Any artist who's overly invested in being liked at all times should go a safer and more "traditional" route.

I didn't like the 2010 Temple, but I respected the person who made it for doing something interesting and different and nervy, even if I didn't like it.

Well said. This is how I feel about music, too.....take Dubstep for example, not a flavor I enjoy but I love how it provokes feelings.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby moonrise » Sun May 20, 2012 4:36 pm

I thought the Temple of Flux was beautiful... a canyon rising out of the playa.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Sham » Fri May 25, 2012 4:53 pm

I have yet to see a bad Temple. Some I like better than others, but all are incredible. What a peaceful spot to stop, reflect and have a quiet lunch.

Remember to support this on Kickstarter if you can. Any donation will help make this David Best creation become a reality this year.
Sham

Postby lemur » Fri May 25, 2012 5:07 pm

hopefully this one wont have a center area choked up with hipsters laying down staring up all week ...like last years.

sillllly hipsters.

lemur

Postby Sham » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:27 pm

Wow, the Temple is just over halfway there with the Kickstarter fundraiser. With 25 days to go, let's try to bump it up a bit.
The Temple is certainly a worthwhile project!

See the link in my signature below.......
Sham

Postby Lowz » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:44 am

moonrise wrote:I thought the Temple of Flux was beautiful... a canyon rising out of the playa.

Temple of Flux remind me Uluru (Ayers Rock) and specially during the burn...
It was my first burn so i didn't know the history about the Temples, but for a virgin it was more than ok ...
It seems that people are more passionate when it's about the temple than about The man ( at leas on eplaya)
John Clod
For the People
Suarez principle #23 " The Whims of The President and Chairman are final."
I feel every year fantastic, shitty and great days all.
Lowz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Club Neu Verboten

Postby Sham » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:15 pm

The Temple of Juno has raised the amount needed to be funded through Kickstarter. Any small additional donations to this project will truly make us all part of it.

Thank you to everyone who helped this reach it's goal!! :D

See the link in my signature below. -----------------------------------------------------VVVVVVVVVV
Sham

Previous

Return to 2012 Art & Performance