hitchhiking across the USA

All things outside of Burning Man.

hitchhiking across the USA

Postby Borris » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:19 am

I'm thinking of going on a road trip to hitchhike my way across the USA on my way to the burn.
any suggestions? personal experience?
I'm thinking of leaving NYC in July and reach Reno.
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...
Borris

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Re: hitchhiking across the USA

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:43 am

Borris, good to hear from you my friend. Let me give you a friendly suggestion about hitch hiking across the US of A. I hitched from New Orleans to NYC and had a sign that simply read: HOME TO MAMA. NYC. That gave me a personality and it took no time to get a ride (comparatively speaking). New Orleans to Memphis to Vienna, VA to NYC. Three days. So what I would do if I were you is hitch and have a sign that reads GOING HOME. BRC. (Or something to that effect.) That way if a burner sees you, they would more likely give you a ride. I know I certainly would. And then you have something in common with your hosts.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby ygmir » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:17 am

yeah Doc........but tell him about the outfit you were wearing.............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby International Incident » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:04 pm

Hey Boris, while having only hitchhiked in Alaska and Canada I found that if I didn't get a ride quick popping into whatever diner (old school not McD) and asking the waitress to ask the regulars whether they would give me a ride worked really well. Also felt a bit safer than just getting in car with some random person.

Only time that fell down was when the guy had about 5 shotguns in his car and that freaked me a bit - so he put them in the boot ... Much better.

It's a great idea and I'm sure you will have a ball!
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby teardropper » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:27 am

I've made that trip, east and west, north and south, but I'm old and it's been a while. Doubt if the rules have changed that much. I always used a sign and Doc's idea sounds good.

As long as you've got someone bringing you water...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby AntiM » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:00 am

I never hitch-hiked much, mostly in the 70s, when I was a cute 18 year old blonde. I swear, Ted Bundy once gave me a ride. Timeframe, place (Utah) and car were right, and the guy totally creeped me out. Yikes.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gyre » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:42 pm

It's much harder than it used to be.
And I think more dangerous.

There is zimride and craigslist for rides too.
Probably others.
gyre

Postby shykat » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Me and my wife hitched hiked from NYC to LA in 94 , it only took 2 rides to get us all the way there.

Leave in mid august. Bring enough money for a bus ticket just incase.We had a blast doing it....
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby Bin Noddin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:26 pm

Did it twice - once alone (Eugene - Los Angeles - Philadelphia), once as newlyweds (honeymoon by thumb, Madison - Berkeley and back). 1971 and 1974. Good idea to have the bus fare, just in case. How will you take care of water, food and camping gear for the burn? Seems like a disproportionate number of my longer rides were with newly divorced men who had to get some anger off their chests. If you're going straight through, five or six days should do it. Looks like you're planning to dawdle and look around. Good idea. A "home to BRC" sign would work best a week or so before the event when there are many burners on the road. Don't know how it will work in July. Have a good time.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Return to Open Discussion