Thoughts on New DMV Art Car policies

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Postby Wendor » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:41 pm

Dork wrote:
*EVERY* vehicle that was brough to the DMV for inspection in 2004 was photographed and those photographs are stored in the mutant vehicle database along with the rest on the information

Really? Any plans to put this online?

Not that I'm personally aware of....but you never know.

Dork wrote:
all of the staff vehicles got individually numbered staff licenses on them

What did they look like? I still think they should be BIG and on all sides of the vehicle. I recall seeing little stickers on the doors of some cars, if those had numbers they were probably pretty small. Was there something else on the back I wasn't seeing?

The staff licenses were the same size and location as the mutant vehicle licenses.
Wendor

Postby Gothalot » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:50 pm

Still the plates are not big enough to read when they are zooming by.
Gothalot

Postby Wendor » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:53 pm

Gothalot wrote:Come on! Have you tried reading anything on those carts but the busted look on their faces as they whiz by trying to appear as if they havent done anything wrong. Numbers were NOT that easy to read and needed to be at least 12 inches high printed front side and back in order to have seen a number.

Odd, the people in charge of enforcement didn't seem to have problems reading them (and yes, they stopped staff vehicles for speeding too)

Gothalot wrote: Lets stop defending the Org here and get real, they broke their own rules and nothing changes that fact and those that did know who they are.

Yes, some individuals on staff violated the speed limits....and they got stopped/warned/ticketed just like everyone else.

But I still fail to see your your demand that all staff vehicles be decorated would change any of the above at all.

As for "The org" as a whole (rather than individuals), what rules did they break? There was never a requirement that staff vehicles be decorated (and are actually quite a number of resons for them to not be decorated) and probably never will be. Despite that fact MANY of the staff vehicles got decorated anyhow.

Remember, decorating staff vehicles is not as simple as it sounds:
1. Emergency services and LE vehicles can *NOT* be decorated/modified.
2. The golf carts are rented, not owned so there are serious limits on what can and can not be done to them. (no duct tape for example)
3. The golf carts are not available to the folks who use them until they are already working (and sometimes not even then) so time spent decorating them to please you is time that they aren't able to do their jobs.
Wendor

Postby Gothalot » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:08 pm

Law inforcement knew where to look on the vehicles in the first place.

An NO not all were stopped and I'm not about to stop them, however if I see a flagrant disregard I would like the option to report them simple as that. Larger and readable plates would help.

I conceed the art car aspect of decorating due to the rental nature of some of the vehicles. Nessesety (drops dictonary) is the mother of invention. Something clever could be thought out to make the vehicles more in tune with the event.

We are a group of creative individuals at this event surely we can think of some resolution that does not involve duct tape.
Wendor wrote:
Gothalot wrote:Come on! Have you tried reading anything on those carts but the busted look on their faces as they whiz by trying to appear as if they havent done anything wrong. Numbers were NOT that easy to read and needed to be at least 12 inches high printed front side and back in order to have seen a number.

Odd, the people in charge of enforcement didn't seem to have problems reading them (and yes, they stopped staff vehicles for speeding too)

Gothalot wrote: Lets stop defending the Org here and get real, they broke their own rules and nothing changes that fact and those that did know who they are.

Yes, some individuals on staff violated the speed limits....and they got stopped/warned/ticketed just like everyone else.

But I still fail to see your your demand that all staff vehicles be decorated would change any of the above at all.

As for "The org" as a whole (rather than individuals), what rules did they break? There was never a requirement that staff vehicles be decorated (and are actually quite a number of resons for them to not be decorated) and probably never will be. Despite that fact MANY of the staff vehicles got decorated anyhow.

Remember, decorating staff vehicles is not as simple as it sounds:
1. Emergency services and LE vehicles can *NOT* be decorated/modified.
2. The golf carts are rented, not owned so there are serious limits on what can and can not be done to them. (no duct tape for example)
3. The golf carts are not available to the folks who use them until they are already working (and sometimes not even then) so time spent decorating them to please you is time that they aren't able to do their jobs.
Gothalot

Postby Badger » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:14 pm

We are a group of creative individuals at this event surely we can think of some resolution that does not involve duct tape.

And I'd argue that that very creativity that you speak of is often invested in more pressing issues immediately related to the event than the relatively low priority of decorating vehicles to sooth your indigantion.

Still, if you're up for doing it I'm sure you'll find a few folks who'd allow you to entertain your suggestion.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby jbelson » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:25 pm

And the police, everytime I passed one i yelled to them "Worst art car ever!"
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer
jbelson

Postby Gothalot » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:46 pm

Sooth me sooth me sooth me I wanna be dirrrty!

Badger wrote:

And I'd argue that that very creativity that you speak of is often invested in more pressing issues immediately related to the event than the relatively low priority of decorating vehicles to sooth your indigantion.

Still, if you're up for doing it I'm sure you'll find a few folks who'd allow you to entertain your suggestion.
Gothalot

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:38 pm

Maybe this slow year was good for art cars. After seeing what was on the playa I feel the urge build "art" in the form of a vehicle. Hope others feel the same. Some of the trash I saw 02 03 held me back. As far a staff cars go. How about a"staff penet/flag" to start with. So if I see a car out of place the flag will tell me it is staff. #s could be added to the vehicle for reporting bad behavior.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Previous

Return to 2004 Camps, Art & Activities