Black Rock City Yarn Shop

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Re: Black Rock City Yarn Shop

Postby Heather335 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:23 pm

Hello!
I'm an artist who often uses embroidery, sometimes on fabric but also pig intestine and dried squids. I'd love to do some embroidery workshops! I was wondering, will this be a theme camp? What kind of infastructure are you looking to put together? I was looking to join a camp to get more involved and also I am coming with a pretty small group. This sounds awesome!
Heather335

Postby havoc » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:16 am

hey heather! :) we'd love to have an embroidery workshop!

i have technically applied as a theme camp (hence the likely placement) and we will have a bit of infrastructure...mostly just space for the workshops and materials. we'll have 2 shade structures (10'x20' carport barns) which we'll put up together to give us a 20'x20' common area. i also have some lighting (mostly solar, but some powered), rugs, a few playatech chairs and a bar-height table.

in all likelihood, i will be procuring a few more things to make the space more conducive to workshops and evening or night-time fiber craft circles. :)

that said, the rest of the plot i'm asking for will likely be empty space for people who want to join us. if you are willing to help us a bit with planning and set up, we'd love to have you. i may ask for a *tiny* amount in camp dues, just to offset the price of storage in reno and the uhaul, but it should be very minimal (and we can work something out if it would be a problem for you). shoot me a PM and we can talk!
havoc

Postby havoc » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:17 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I'm wondering if you and To Dye For might want to do some sort of cross referencing...
Just fiber craft whatevers.

sure, good idea! i'll hit them up and see what they're up to...we might have similar audiences. :)
havoc

Postby seruh » Tue May 15, 2012 12:41 am

Hi! I'm a knitter and would love to camp with you folks/be involved. I can teach classes on a huge variety of techniques, and would particularly love to teach about how to use scrap yarn--my playa name is Scraps after all! Please let me know how to get in touch...
seruh

Postby tamarakay » Tue May 15, 2012 5:19 am

Howdy! I'm the founder of Dye with Dignity. We will be dyeing silk scarves over at Barbie Death Camp Village. One of my camp mates sent me a Learn to Knit kit and I just finished my first scarf! I'm very jazzed about the whole thing. Can't wait to meet you on Playa! Fabulous idea and I love the name baa baa Black Rock.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 15, 2012 9:51 am

seruh, using bits of yarn might be interesting to me. Since I don't actually do any real knitting.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby havoc » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:58 am

well, i'm happy to announce that Baa Baa Black Rock has been placed and will be at 9:15 and C. not 100% sure of our workshop schedule yet, but we are definitely hosting a Stitch'n'Bitch from 5pm-7pm on wednesday. feel free to drop by with a project (or without one, we'll have tons of yarn!) and meet some fellow knitters. :)
havoc

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Congrats on the placement! I can't make the Stitch'n'Bitch (those are lamplighting hours), but I'll try to swing by some other time to say "hello" and maybe do some knitting in the afternoon.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby havoc » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:58 pm

yes, definitely stop by anytime! even though we won't have workshops and such all the time, i plan to be "open" pretty much whenever. :)
havoc

Postby ambird » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:54 pm

Can we get an update on how the yarn store went? I was very sad to find out about it only after returning from the playa. I would have loved to contribute yarn and could have helped with beginner knitting lessons. Do you folks hope to return next year?
ambird

Burning Since: 2011

Previous

Return to 2012 Art & Performance