Advanced Gifting: Adopt a BM Virgin (Or Be Adopted)!

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Re: Advanced Gifting: Adopt a BM Virgin (Or Be Adopted)!

Postby xtraslky » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:28 pm

The Liminal Labs will be providing a Virgin Initiation Program on the playa this year. Come get schooled! Until then, I'll happily adopt any virgin who needs some guidance, feel free to email me at xtraslky (at) gmail (dot) com.

I think its worth noting here that being adopted doesn't mean camping with a theme camp or buying into somebody else's dream or toeing any damn line. Burners have a lot of info to share but its YOUR burn, you can camp where you like, do what you like and your experience will be profound unto you, which is all that matters. Participation doesn't have to mean signing up for any type of organized effort. You could hit the road first day out and simply try to help out every person you see who needs a hand...that would be an EPIC effort. Hell, buy the guy behind you a cup of chai in centercamp, pump up someone's flat tire, share your bacon. Voila, you've just radically improved the world around you and thats what this whole hootenanny is all about. Well, that and the fisting.
xtraslky

Postby thewholeballofwax » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:33 pm

Yes! This is exactly what I've been looking for! Miraculously got a ticket this year and I'll be coming from Bellingham, WA. Anyone around here have a minute to show me the ropes?
thewholeballofwax

Postby RaquelS » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:52 pm

deidretastic wrote:Hey there! I am a Burning man virgin from Vancouver, BC Canada, anxiously waiting to hear back as to whether or not I will be afforded a low-income ticket. I have been stressing for months now from the lottery to STEP, I know this is my year. I am a 21 year old student, hopefully coming with two friends who are waiting to hear back as well. We are avid festival goers who would be more than happy to contribute to an amazing theme camp. We are super enthusiastic about getting involved on the playa, making memorie and spreading joy, love and compassion for others. Thanks!

Hi! I would be willing to adopt you...if you will have me haha! I am also a 21 year old student and last year was my first burn. I am currently waiting for notification for my ticket, but I have my fingers crossed! I have a few friends coming with me..some virgins and some not. Not too much of a veteran, but I am more than willing to answer questions, throw ideas around for a theme camp, and have some fun and exciting experiences on the playa. My email is singingskibabe55 (at) hotmail (dot) com..
RaquelS

Postby psychosam666 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:56 pm

Hello!!! :)
Last year I had 3 friends go to Burning Man for the first time, and the main reason I didn't go last year with them was because I couldn't afford it. When they came back, oh the stories!!! So there's a group of us going :D 7 total! 4 Virgins and 3 with 1 year (we lucked out big time that all of us got tickets!)

I'm posting here just for myself though, not the rest of my group. I would love to be adopted by an experienced burner. I love to "dive head-first in to unknown water" and see where I pop out :) I also like helping and being useful! I'm NOT afraid of manual labour by any means, I actually prefer it sometimes haha.

Other than the typical advice: what to do, what to where, make sure you have this, expect that, etc (which I'm reading up on a lot! :D)... the big "need" I have right now is assistance in finding a ride to/from airport/black rock. My friends are all going in a truck, but there just aren't enough seats for all of us. There is a good chance of them being able to take all my gear/food/water, just not me. Any assistance in finding a ride both ways would be greatly appreciated! :D

That aside, I'm so excited to go for my first burn! Chatting with a vet would be extremely enlightening!

Thank you in advance :) (also, I'll be coming from the Toronto area in Ontario!)
psychosam666

Postby moonrise » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:24 pm

woops
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Inko Gnito » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:25 am

moonrise wrote:woops

Use your words, moon.
:)
If you see this: "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post." in a post, login and you can see the picture instead.
Inko Gnito

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Savannah » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:50 am

Hey Virgins!

Take note . . .

* I just edited a number of your email addresses to spell out the @ and the . so that our many prolific spam bots don't harvest your email addresses quite so easily. You are also welcome to say "Send me a PM" if you don't want to post your email address for all and sundry. All you have to do to message someone is click PM (Private Message) at the right of their message under their name/avatar.

* This thread is just one of many ways to connect with other more experienced Burners. ePlaya is a small place, and not all Burners check either ePlaya or the "Get Involved" forum, so if you don't get a reply, don't be discouraged, or take it personally, or assume that it means something in the grand scheme of things. You may also want to visit the 2012 Theme Camps forum here & read/reply to those postings, consult your regional contacts (http://regionals.burningman.com/) and stick around here on ePlaya and meet people more casually . . . by the time the Burn rolls around, you will either hate us all with the white-hot passion of a thousand suns, or look forward to the ePlaya Meet & Greet at Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro Thursday of the Burn @ 6pm.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby jfgugli » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:28 am

I am a Virgin and would very much experience Burning Man. And if I can actually go, I would volunteer for two things Lamp Lighters, and the Black Rock Gazette if can. I love photography and will be documenting the event anyway, so why not give my time? And hey if I go I will be flying in to Reno on the 26th and renting a vehicle to drive to BM, so anyone is welcome to ride along. I have not a clue as to what to do, but I do not need it to do I? For I have the extraordinary experience of so many that went before. I plan to stay at Anonymous Village. I am not a guy who sits around and waits events to come to me, I see a need and jump right in. I do not know if I will ever get another chance to do this for we all know that Life dictates its will over our desires, so I am going to try everything in my power to make this happen. By the way, I have experienced many things that scared the life out of me, but this will probably be one of the most challenging. So that's my little tale. If there is a need for more info, than just ask, I use to have things to hide, but not anymore.
Carpi Diem,no?

[img]/img]
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
Oscar Wilde
jfgugli

Burning Since: 2013

Postby tamarakay » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:57 am

Savannah wrote:<snip>
and stick around here on ePlaya and meet people more casually . . . by the time the Burn rolls around, you will either hate us all with the white-hot passion of a thousand suns, or look forward to the ePlaya Meet & Greet at Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro Thursday of the Burn @ 6pm.

It does seem to be all or nothing doesn't it?
Savannah you are wise beyond your years AND such a hottie lol
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby IamRo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:01 am

Aloha! I carry the big ol' V card when in comes to Burning Man... and I really don't want to anymore! I finally feel like I am READY and willing to put all my positive energy into making this happen and losing my virginty the right way. I've been traveling around the past couple of months (been on a Rosie Life Quest), making my finances not quite in my favor, and had been off the grid before that (living in Maui, HI makes having a computer something thats totally unneccesarry). However, after traveling the west coast for the first time and making plenty of amazing new friends and family, why stop now? I'm currently in the NJ/NY area, missing my free spirited, open minded, ever-so-HUGE hearted family I've made along my journey, and reconnecting with the ones that made me who I am growing up. So now that I'm back on the internet, I'm trying to figure out what exactly I need do to make this happen for me. I'm 24 years old, outgoing, creative, loving, and looking to be a part of Burning Man, because shit... my heart has plenty of space for more amazing people to fit my missing pieces. Any advice, guidance, words of wisdom, or motivation would be very much appreciated. Mahalo, peace & love. -Rosie
IamRo

Postby Savannah » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:03 am

(((tamarakay))) :oops:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby brody » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:27 am

I think it might also be helpful for people to mention whether or not they have a ticket-- there are several nice virgins who are posting, but doesn't sound like they have a ticket. The odds this year that someone will gift you a ticket are very low-- that's not what I was thinking when talking about "adopting a virgin". More like- advice, etc., for someone who already has a ticket and will be going anyway.

So, Virgins, if you want to be adopted, please in your post be very clear about your ticket status, it would be helpful!
-------------------------------
(cold hands, warm bacon)
brody

Burning Since: 2004

Postby Narc0lept1cpanda » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Hello there!

I'm a Burning Man Virgin from New Orleans. I've been looking into the wonderful community of Burning Man for the past year and can't wait for my turn to enjoy it's wonders. However, I don't think that this year will be the one for me :(, but of course there's always next year! Since I'm completely new to this I'd like for a guru to help guide me to make all the right decisions in preparing myself for next year. A pen pal of sorts, and hopefully a new friend =] If anybody has any enlightenment they can shed upon me,that would be incredible.

Thanks,
Jess
Narc0lept1cpanda

Postby ygmir » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:23 pm

tamarakay wrote:
Savannah wrote:<snip>
and stick around here on ePlaya and meet people more casually . . . by the time the Burn rolls around, you will either hate us all with the white-hot passion of a thousand suns, or look forward to the ePlaya Meet & Greet at Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro Thursday of the Burn @ 6pm.

It does seem to be all or nothing doesn't it?
Savannah you are wise beyond your years AND such a hottie lol

nomination for "Eplaya quote hall of fame"
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby moonrise » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:59 pm

For another "Hall of Fame" read Brody's blog post and the comments underneath. :shock:

Welcome good burngins :P
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby brody » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:17 pm

moonrise wrote:For another "Hall of Fame" read Brody's blog post and the comments underneath. :shock:

Welcome good burngins :P

Yeah, it's much more positive here on Eplaya, thank goodness.
-------------------------------
(cold hands, warm bacon)
brody

Burning Since: 2004

Postby Inko Gnito » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:28 pm

brody wrote:Yeah, it's much more positive here on Eplaya, thank goodness.

Some of the comments on the "advanced gifting"- blog post might be a good read to develop a healthy, self-protective point of view. Enjoy guiding - but know the limits and sport a little paranoia.

That being said: A veteran burner adopted me last year. I was thinking about leaving on Wednesday. He took me around and introduced me to the magic. Thanks again Dave! You made it the blast it was for me.

Deutschsprachige Tips gibt es gerne bei mir. PM me.
If you see this: "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post." in a post, login and you can see the picture instead.
Inko Gnito

Postby Astrochuppa » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:55 am

Two Burgins here! - One Japanese Female - One Australian Male - Two Tickets from STEP! (Thankyou whoever put them back into the mix!)
Both our first burn... we were going to go with a crew from Australia, but they have pulled out, so it looks like it`s just going to be the two of us!

We are going to bring our enthusiam and help in any way we can! Try and contribute in any way we can! And leave the burn just that little bit better for us having been there, if we can!
Both reading over everything we can get our hands on - We`ll be as prepared as we can be for Burgins!! :)

Would love for someone to adpot us, as we don`t know anyone going!!

Thankyou muchly!!!

(But we understand if it`s not possible, and will do our best anyway!)
Astrochuppa

Postby seaguy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:47 pm

Ooh! Pick me! Pick me! Adoptable burgin here! :D

Housetrained - grew up in a family with a pack-it-in/pack-it-out camping ethos.
Resilient - I've travelled all over the world, extremes of weather don't bother me at all.
Healthy - I can drive tent stakes all day long!
Capable - can fix anything, (lived for years in third world, Jugaad is my middle name).
Human - Halcyon's videos make me want to cry, "OMG, this is me! These are my people!" (Well, I lean a little more hetero, but whatever. :)

I am in the Seattle area, with ticket! Any wise old (or young) vets around here...?

Any other burgins interested in getting together?
seaguy

Postby VultureChow » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:07 am

Ehhh.... I feel like I've already been adopted by the fine denizens of Eplaya, right down to the snarky http://lmgtfy.com/ when I ask a question instead of trying to find the answer myself first.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Inko Gnito » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:42 am

VultureChow wrote:Ehhh.... I feel like I've already been adopted by the fine denizens of Eplaya, right down to the snarky http://lmgtfy.com/ when I ask a question instead of trying to find the answer myself first.

Is that why you look so battered?
Inko Gnito

Postby BuddhaNic » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:14 am

HEY! This idea of adopting a virgin has got to be the greatest thing I've seen on the site new updates so far!
I'm a virgin from Tampa Florida! Just got confirmation that I have my ticket yesterday after winning first place with Bagpiping at the Heart of Florida Highland Games!

I've spent countless hours reading, re-reading, and re-re-reading the website. I've saved up for months and months for this, and feel that in ever aspect, I am prepared to rely totally on myself. I would be going out there alone, and it would be great to be able to have someone to vent my complete aw to.

I would LOVE to be adopted, and to be able to find someone close to me to show my enthusiasm! I'm 18 and you've heard of being as excited as a 5 year old, THAT'S ME. I dream about this place every night. I'd love to get in touch with all of you! I post on the facebook often, and that would probably be the best way to reach me! Love you guys, and I cannot wait to see all of you!!!

Please get back to me, even if it's just to make a new friend to meet out on the playa! :)
-Nic Damery
BuddhaNic

Postby Inko Gnito » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:23 am

BuddhaNic wrote:Just got confirmation that I have my ticket yesterday after winning first place with Bagpiping at the Heart of Florida Highland Games

This is an April FOOL´s joke, right?
Inko Gnito

Postby VultureChow » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:48 am

Inko Gnito wrote:Is that why you look so battered?

Hey not every bunny can look as good as knowmad.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Up For Adoption ♥

Postby MetalMichelle » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:09 am

So excited, so green. Thank you to everyone for being so welcoming. I'm a great camper and have plenty experience sneaking around to the front row at hard rock festivals. But Burning Man is one new exciting adventure for me!! xox Metal
♥ Bam! How do you like me now? ♥
MetalMichelle

Postby ygmir » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:12 am

LBC?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Up For Adoption ♥

Postby insomnivore » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:20 am

MetalMichelle wrote:So excited, so green. Thank you to everyone for being so welcoming. I'm a great camper and have plenty experience sneaking around to the front row at hard rock festivals. But Burning Man is one new exciting adventure for me!! xox Metal

Oh, a fellow metalhead to see out there! Maybe I won't be the only one in my camp when I'm blasting some Finnish MDM
insomnivore

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:27 am

Finntroll is (in my little reality) tha bomb. Is anyone else as good? (And please understand that it's not a genre thing with me, I love Finntroll, I love the Klesmatics, and I love good polka music. I don't really go for run of the mill of any of those genres represented.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby MetalMichelle » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:52 am

Long Beach :lol:
♥ Bam! How do you like me now? ♥
MetalMichelle

Postby insomnivore » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:53 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Finntroll is (in my little reality) tha bomb. Is anyone else as good? (And please understand that it's not a genre thing with me, I love Finntroll, I love the Klesmatics, and I love good polka music. I don't really go for run of the mill of any of those genres represented.)

Hm...maybe your reality is encroaching on my reality. Give In Extremo a listen, if you can do the whole non-english lyrics thing. Most of their music is rooted in folk songs from the middle ages, and they use quite an eclectic mix of folk instruments. Even for a folk metal fan, it's pretty strange to see harps, hardangers, and dulcimers coming up on stage. Korpiklanni would be my next recommendation, although they aren't as eccentric as Finntroll.
insomnivore

PreviousNext

Return to Get Involved!