BOYCOTT THE BURN

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: BOYCOTT THE BURN

Postby trilobyte » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:34 am

Awesome, joining the site to plug your blog that rehashes the same old poorly informed complaints and arguments that others have been making elsewhere on this board for the last couple months. I and others have already responded to them in those other places, you're welcome to take some time reading the boards.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:48 am

I've removed some crossposting, and then moved responses from that into this thread to keep them in context of the original post.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Re: Positive Suggestions for Fixing What Is Obviously Broken

Postby DrYes » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:39 am

carpenns wrote:
No, no...I haven't...my point being that 'Mariane/ Bmorg' have done a rather insulting job of representing the actual 'needs of the burn' to what I imagine as a room full of gray haired librarians with horn rimmed glasses (which depcits the BLM/ gov. entities) and basically failing to stand up say 'hey...this thing needs to happen like THIS, THE WAY IT SHOULD HAPPEN...or WE AINT GOING TO DO IT AT ALL/ we leave the burden of destroying 'the last bastion of American freedom' in YOUR HANDS BLM ONES...etc....

Your naivete is amusing.

in any case 'JERK FACE'...have fun enjoying a conscienceless burn the type only a complete douche would truly enjoy..the kind where you dont even CARE about the good folks who SHOULD have been there...just happy your own dumb 'Opulent TEmple worshipping ass' can be there to enjoy...my complete rant HERE

"how can I be happy about a burn that my better burner brethren did not have the same chance to be a part of as I?!"....you can, I can't ..thats the difference.

Glad you won't be there! Enjoy the default world, where your poor attitude should fit in nicely.
Burning Man 2013 video || Burning Man 2013 photos
Burning Man 2012 video
Burning Man 2011 video

"We'll never leave, look at us now, so in love with the way we are."
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Tasty Bits (w/ the Stimulus Tree)

Postby HandJamMasterC » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:47 am

It gives me joy to no end to know that's one more bitter, jaded, bad attitude person staying home this year and one more ticket available for a positive, creating, forward thinking participant.

+ 1 Come on by Camp DOA this year and we can drink to that ! The wine and champagne is aging in the cellar as we speak !

CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:35 am

carpenns wrote:....did anyone even read the whole thing? WTF?

I'm with pink on this: tltr. Of course, actually reading the threads in this subforum that talk about the things that you want to talk about was past you, so we're even. And if your point is that you are a whiney and thoughtless person, then yes, you made it.
I (and various others that you'll meet, both on playa and in the rest of the world) don't much like people who are incapable of seeing past their noses and who spew raw emotion all over the place and expect the rest of us (who deal with our raw emotion in less leaky ways) to care.
I'm sorry you didn't get a ticket, but I hope I never run into you on the playa.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby uncle sticky » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:22 pm

"It's an event that everyone talks about.
Because of this, it's become very popular.
And because everyone wants to go, and not everyone can fit,
Everyone should avoid going at all."'

Not everyone. Just you. And me. And all the other people that have worked so hard for so long to make the event awesome.

"I see a flaw in the logic in the fact that the proposed solution bares no relevance to the actual issue.
How would boycotting the event be an answer to the issue that demand is higher than supply?"

Because if you don't go, and I don't go, and the artists don't go, and the art cars don't go, and the guys who make waffles and pancakes and coffee and bloody marys and circuses don't go, all the people who went this year won't go again, because it sucked, because they didn't create anything, they just showed up to see what you did, and you didn't come and make shit for them.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!
uncle sticky

Postby BBadger » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:50 pm

carpenns wrote:did anyone even read the whole thing? WTF?

Yeah, I'd be surprised if anyone did as well.

While I do give you credit for actually copying the content of that website page (no matter how awful it actually was) rather than just telling people to visit it to read, I still did report it as spam because it was advertising your website.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Stephendragonfly » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:55 pm

@Uncle Sticky
I've never been to Burning Man, but I have been hearing about it from various friends for years and years and have always wanted to go. I am hoping that this year, despite all of the negative feelings over the ticketing problems, I will finally be able to experience what my friends have been telling me about. You seem to believe that if you and the "special people" don't go this year, the folks who do show up will have terrible time and never come back. I disagree. If you could get the truly dedicated core of Burning Man to boycott this year, what you you get? Maybe a year or two wherein the crowds you so despise don't come en mass, and then they will be back again. As it stands there are too many people who are dedicated to going and making it a great event no matter what you say. For these people the event is an ecstatic experience akin to the type upon which world dominating religions are built. If I understand your posts, you weren't planning to come this year anyway.
However, if I don't get a ticket by August 25th, I will boycott the event.
Stephendragonfly

Location: A planet that is three quarters covered with water, but we call it Earth.

Postby Eric » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:54 am

Stephendragonfly wrote:You seem to believe that if you and the "special people" don't go this year, the folks who do show up will have terrible time and never come back. I disagree.

So do I, and so do many other long-time Burners I know (many whom you see posting on ePlaya). I think this year people who get in will be bringing their "A game", virgins & vets alike.

Of course, I could be wrong. There's no way to tell as will really be the first year when none of us can have expectations because it's a brand new playground. I love the excitement of that!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby ApolloPan » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:11 am

I support the notion that "old timers," like those of us over thirty, will BRING IT for all they're worth this year! Kinda new to eplaya, so indulge me- who's building the Temple this year? That seems like the best place to send good will out to everyone who couldn't be on the playa this year. At least, that's what I've always used it for. The dead aren't the only ones we miss on the playa, after all.
Here's hoping the STEP gets me to the dust- if not, somebody scribble my name at the Temple, will ya?

"Dear Horse God, I know I don't usually pray to you, sometimes I even doubt you exist, but if you're willing to grant me luck, please stamp your hoof once..."
ApolloPan

Postby uncle sticky » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:12 am

Vamos a ver. I started this thread and the idea simply because I love the event, and bring it, for the newbies, the frat boys (hell, I hosted a Frat Boy party last year), and the sparkle ponies, as well as the vets, the old schoolers (I'm not one, only 8 years, never fired a gun out there, so I'm a modern era burner) and all the burnier than thous, whether they be tent dwellers or RV'ers.

I really worry that the huge demand for tickets, whether it be newbies or scalpers, will change the event in negative ways, and so I do hope that the vast majority of people who just had to go this year have a terrible time. I hope they never come back, and tell their friends it sucked. I hope all you vets and burgins who are committed to go this year meet some new friends, build some cool shit, have some dusty whiskey, and have a good time, and I'll see you next year.

Realistic? No, I don't think so, not on a huge scale, but we'll see, vamos a ver, que sera sera, this idea may have an impact, and that impact may be really positive. I'll let you know some time in September, 2013, what I think.
uncle sticky

Postby Dustdevil » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:41 pm

While you may hope they have a terrible time, CORE has 35 projects set to burn on Thursday night. The number of Honorarium Art Projects is overwhelming in their scope and size. There are a lot of huge and wonderful projects that have are being funded at this moment. There will be a lot of art this this year and a lot of large burns and fire art. It really is an impressive line up. I suspect that those who attend for the first time will be in awe of what they find out there this year. I hate to pop your bubble, but I don't see your dream coming true.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby uncle sticky » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:59 pm

meh
uncle sticky

Postby trilobyte » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:10 am

The bigger question is, what if after all this it turns out to be even bigger and better than previous years?
trilobyte
Site Admin

i'm with trilo...

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:25 am

ALL OF YOU NAY SAYERS CAN GO FUCK YER-SELVES !!!

i still love you, but goddammit, turn that frown upside down....
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: i'm with trilo...

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:10 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote: turn that frown upside down....

Catagory: Things I never thought I'd hear Simon say...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:14 pm

trilobyte wrote:The bigger question is, what if after all this it turns out to be even bigger and better than previous years?

Then we can say that boycotting works! :D
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Tucano » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm totally with you!! If I'm not able to score a ticket, I'm definitely boycotting this year's burn.

I totally agree. Plus, I am definitely going.
"Death had a dream and this is it. So when you die, you wake up. The purpose of life is not to wake up from the dream but to learn to lucid dream, to live in the reality that you have created for yourself. Keep on creating!! "
Tucano

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:05 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote: turn that frown upside down....

Catagory: Things I never thought I'd hear Simon say...

there was some REALLY good acid in Miami
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby moonrise » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:59 pm

It's been said and done before.

see ya's in da dust...
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Re: Positive Suggestions for Fixing What Is Obviously Broken

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:06 pm

carpenns wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:Cute chart, but ignoring the BLM elephant in the room. It's not up to Marianne to determine the population cap, genius. It's the BLM.

*yawn*

Keep whining.. I'm preparing to burn a man in 158 days.

No, no...I haven't...my point being that 'Mariane/ Bmorg' have done a rather insulting job of representing the actual 'needs of the burn' to what I imagine as a room full of gray haired librarians with horn rimmed glasses (which depcits the BLM/ gov. entities) and basically failing to stand up say 'hey...this thing needs to happen like THIS, THE WAY IT SHOULD HAPPEN...or WE AINT GOING TO DO IT AT ALL/ we leave the burden of destroying 'the last bastion of American freedom' in YOUR HANDS BLM ONES...etc....

in any case 'JERK FACE'...have fun enjoying a conscienceless burn the type only a complete douche would truly enjoy..the kind where you dont even CARE about the good folks who SHOULD have been there...just happy your own dumb 'Opulent TEmple worshipping ass' can be there to enjoy...my complete rant HERE

"how can I be happy about a burn that my better burner brethren did not have the same chance to be a part of as I?!"....you can, I can't ..thats the difference.

http://www.johnskater.com/art%20page/Bu ... risis.html

Wow...I go way from ePlaya for a while and come back to...this? This is friggin' awesomeness personified! Oh the doomsaying! The entitlement! The outlandish sparkleponynish of it all!

BM bumpersticker of choice for 2012: 'cause you're party ain't shit unless it's a carpenns party!

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion